Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-05-2017, 09:23 PM   #1

Feedback Needed: WD adjustment and CAT scale results

Ok, new owners of a 2018 JayFeather 25BH, TV: 2010 Ford Expedition 2wd w/ 536 tow package (3.31 rear end). You can read our first week's experience in the travel trailer section of the forum.
In short, the eaz lift WD (1000#) was not setup properly by the dealer, so I adjusted it to 7 degrees tilt (was 3 degrees) this am. Having some sway issues at highway speed. I also purchased a driver side sway bar and will install on Sunday. I'm apparently still having issues loading the spring bars to transfer the weight to the front of the truck. The chains are on the last link and it's a bear to get them hooked up, I need to be able to probably get on to the second link in order to properly load the spring bars and transfer additional weight. I weighted the truck and trailer as we would tow it. The rear axle is 50# shy of the GAWR. Any feedback regarding the setup would be greatly appreciated (okay I'll get the 'you need a 3/4 ton truck' out of the way first, we truck shopped today )
I'm still somewhat surprised, even after reading RV forums for years, that the manufacturer's website data and actual weight are so much different...
Pertinent data listed below:
Tires: Michelin X LT (max load:2535#)
GVWR:7300#
Front GAWR: 3300#
Rear GAWR: 4250#
Cargo Capacity: 1435#
Tongue Weight: measured @ 725# (12% of TT weight 6060#)

TV measurements:
Ride height (to top of wheel well):
(No weight ; with trailer ; with trailer and WD connected)
Front: 35 5/8" ; 36 3/8" ; 36"
Rear: 35 3/8" ; 33 7/8" ; 34 5/8"

CAT Scale weights:
TV + TT:
STEER AXLE: 2920#
DRIVE AXLE: 4200#
TRAILER AXLE: 5340#
Gross Weight: 12460#

TV only:
STEER AXLE: 3040#
DRIVE AXLE: 3320#
Gross Weight: 6400#
Trailer Weight: 12460-6400= 6060#
warjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:19 PM   #2

How did you figure out the loaded tw? From the looks of the weights you posted you did not get a third weight, which is the tv & tt with the wd bar unhooked.

When hooking the wd bars up, do you raise the tongue back up once the coupler is hooked to the hall? This makes it easier to hook the wd bars up with the wd proper tension on them.

Also, if/when you refer to the chains as in: "I hooked it up on the 5th link".... Make sure to state how many chain links are under tension (between the wd bar and the bracket), not how many are hanging loose.you could have 8 chain links total, someone else could have 10 chain links,

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
How did you figure out the loaded tw? From the looks of the weights you posted you did not get a third weight, which is the tv & tt with the wd bar unhooked.

When hooking the wd bars up, do you raise the tongue back up once the coupler is hooked to the hall? This makes it easier to hook the wd bars up with the wd proper tension on them.

Also, if/when you refer to the chains as in: "I hooked it up on the 5th link".... Make sure to state how many chain links are under tension (between the wd bar and the bracket), not how many are hanging loose.you could have 8 chain links total, someone else could have 10 chain links,
You're correct, I only took two weights. I used a Sherline scale to get the tongue weight. My bars have 9 links and I'm using the 9th link. Today I will get a 4x4 block to see if I can get some more initial height under the jack stand foot. I think that if I can hook up to the second link and reweigh, the WD issue may be fixed...
Old 08-06-2017, 11:45 AM   #4

sounds like you need to remove some washers
Old 08-06-2017, 03:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyExpress View Post
sounds like you need to remove some washers
The eaz WD hitch doesn't use shims. I think you meant to reduce the hitch angle which is probably what I dont want to do since it was previously at 3 degrees and the camco rep said it should be at 7 degrees.