Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-28-2019, 10:35 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
Went from Curt to B&W few years ago. Love the B&W Patriot.
I too use the B&W Patriot as I have a Curt gooseneck so a Companion won't work. I had the Curt X-Rail so went 18K Patriot after bending TWO Andersens & said no more of that.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:53 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
I too use the B&W Patriot as I have a Curt gooseneck so a Companion won't work. I had the Curt X-Rail so went 18K Patriot after bending TWO Andersens & said no more of that.
That's EXACTLY why the Anderson makes me nervous!
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 10:10 AM   #23

Quote:

Wow. We’re you towing your current setup when you bent them?
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 10:55 AM   #24

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
That's EXACTLY why the Anderson makes me nervous!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
Wow. We’re you towing your current setup when you bent them?
Everything eventually fails…everything. Saying he bent two without elaborating on the circumstances and specifics…just lends itself to internet hearsay. What is the failure rate of the Andersen, 1 in 100K, 1 in 1million even if it was 1 in 10K… the chances of the same person having 2 failures?
Personally, I’m going be looking at the person rather than the hitch...
Old 11-29-2019, 10:58 AM   #25
CAG

Quote:
Also, anything that you pin to universal rails in the truck bed will have some sort of play that will drive you crazy with banging.
I did not find that at all and if you do you better check the rail attachments under the bed because you have a problem. And that probably goes for your B&W since it too is attached to the rails.

This question is much like "which oil should I use, Which truck should I buy and/or which tires should I buy?" It is subjective and generally as in your case, comes from someone who has never tried anything else but can give us expert opinions on all of the other choices out there.

As a buyer you should do your research, take all of our comments with a grain of salt, and buy what you think is best for your case giving more credit to your research than opinions you gather from people you do not know on some site on the Internet.
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 09:25 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
Everything eventually fails…everything. Saying he bent two without elaborating on the circumstances and specifics…just lends itself to internet hearsay. What is the failure rate of the Andersen, 1 in 100K, 1 in 1million even if it was 1 in 10K… the chances of the same person having 2 failures?
Personally, I’m going be looking at the person rather than the hitch...
Hearsay, internet hearsay. I was one of the original aluminum version users, it bent forward at the top of tubes & broke one weld, they sent the latest version at the time with the enlarged tubes & added braces. Used this one about a year & half. Exact same bend forward near the top of the tubes. Andersen sends another new & supposedly improved improved version a year ago last September. I just wasn't going to ever use another one. I was head cheerleader but have resigned the position.
My 5er scales loaded about 13k depends on the trip. It has a gvwr 14500. No panic stops, no running off the road , rv brakes set on 6, double torqued bolt every hook up,etc etc etc. We travel to the same places on a regular basis & no broken B&W. I think it's running the ball at the highest setting which to clear the bed is a requirement. I don't have an etched in stone answer as Andersen never gave me an official opinion. At this point I don't care, I won't use it.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:58 AM   #27

Our B&W has given us 5 years of excellent service. It a “puck mount” and mates to the factory under bed pucks. Since it’s the only one I’ve owned I can’t offer any comparison to another brand.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:56 AM   #28

Have any owned the Curt A16 (none slider) hitch? Any problems? Thanks
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 01:13 PM   #29

My experience with Curt wasn’t great. The jaws had an issue causing excessive chucking. Got a replacement, but only used it once before I replaced with B&W.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 01:22 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapor3000 View Post
Have any owned the Curt A16 (none slider) hitch? Any problems? Thanks
Have the A20 and pleased with it. It must like to tow as sometimes finicky come time to disconnect. I release the jaws, step back in the truck and as I’m shifting to drive, I hear the jaws reset to closed. A little forward pressure on the jaws and I can escape.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:13 PM   #31

Quote:
Here you go. I can't find 1st hitch pics but it was much worse.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1110.JPG   IMG_1111.JPG   IMG_1107.JPG   IMG_1104.JPG  
Old 12-01-2019, 09:41 PM   #32

Quote:
Here you go. I can't find 1st hitch pics but it was much worse.
My Demco is a beast. It’s 300lbs. It comes apart in 2 pieces and takes 2 guys, a cherry picker or a hoist to get out of the bed. But I don’t need to remove it. It has 3 height adjustments to level the trailer and the capture hook that completely encloses the pin with one piece. Which makes me feel totally comfortable. It has shock absorption built in and with the MORryde pinbox gives me a totally smooth drive. The Andersen hitch has appeal, ease of removal. But you have confirmed my reluctance. I’m with Al, I’ll stick with the beast.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:53 PM   #33

I have the 20,000 lb Reese Goosebox 2nd Generation and a B&W Goose ball that is rated for 30,000 lbs. I absolutely love it. When I bought my new fifth wheel trailer and new truck, I had the dealer install the Goosebox in place of the pin box on the trailer. Cost wise it for the goosebox and ball was about the same as what I would have spent on a B&W 5th wheel hitch. Maybe a little more.

Here is a video from BTBRV showing it

I have the same setup with a Ford F350 long bed dually and I also added the extra camera looking from the side.

However, I do not have the issue he was talking about where he lets air out of the system to disconnect. I just pull on the cable to unlock and latch it into place and lift up the front of the trailer. If I do not use it for a while I may have to add some air. There is an indicator to show how much air is best depending on the weight of your trailer. For me it is about 30 psi.

I would not recommend it if you have a short bed. There is no slider option so design of your trailers nose determine how tight you can turn. I can do a full 90 degrees with no problem.

The ball comes in a nice plastic box that includes mounts for the chains. I grease mine but it has a handle so you don't touch the ball when removing it.

The other issue is that it is approved by all the 5th wheel manufactures and does not change the warranty if you have any problems with the trailer frame.
Flyn2High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:02 PM   #34

The best is B&W, hands down.
BassOverflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:56 PM   #35

I have the B&W companion slider in a 2019 F250 and I'm very happy with it. However, I have not used other brands.
One thing we all need to remember when comparing these hitches for short beds is that the actual length of the short bed varies between the 3 major Manufacturers. Ford's short bed is actually 6'9" GM/Chevy is 6'7.44" Ram is 6'4.8"
Those using the longer short bed may well find the distance from the center-line of the pin varies enough to impact the point at which the slider needs to be moved back. I have made numerous tight turns without sliding mine back. However, B&W's companion slider has two options for the pin center being either 1" or 3" forward of the axle center-line. I have mine set a 1" forward of the axle; while I wouldn't say I don't need the slider, I only use it when backing into very uneven sites requiring sharp turns. But it's nice to know I have the option to slide it back if I need to.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:45 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapor3000 View Post
Which supplier makes the best non slider fifth wheel hitch?
I have the Pullrite 2600 Superlite. One point attachment onto the gooseneck ball, 64 pounds. Very easy to remove and install and store. Rated at 20k pounds. With the funnel, don't have to be exactly lined up to connect, and can connect at just about any angle. I did my research before taking delivery of my Jayco. Andersen was a close 2nd but I felt this one was a stronger choice. Won't go to a 300 lb hitch ever. Can't lift it and don't want it in my truck full time.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:19 PM   #37

All of you using the Anderson are taking your lives and others lives into your hands. There are many many many reasons this hitch never should have been released for high profile 5thwheels. Most weekend warriors love the Anderson as long as they never experience a broadside wind. If you watch the videos they are always testing it with a lower profile trailers NOT A 13.6 TALL 5THWHEEL. there is a reason for that. Have you ever seen a commercial truck using a ball style hitch with the cargo trailers? Nope and you never will. Gooseneck hitches are great for flatbeds and stock trailers not high profile RV's. Broadside winds can and will cause top rocking and the hitch will not isolate it. With a ball hitch you get more movement from side to side. Yes gooseneck can pull more weight then a traditional 5thwheel rv hitch. Also talk to your rv manufacturers 90% of them use LCI frames and LCI will not warranty any frame damage caused by this hitch. And I'm telling you right now you will have frame damage in time from the use of this hitch. It changes the attachment point the pin box of the trailer. It also puts weight where it's not supposed to have it. So is it the latest a greatest invention since mustard. NO dont do it. Stick with the tried and true method. The method with hundreds of billions of safe miles on them. Tha actual 5thwheel hitch and the simpler the better. Fewer fail points fewer moving parts. Personally I use the B&W and it is not hard to get in and out of the truck.
Mad5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:31 PM   #38
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad5581 View Post
All of you using the Anderson are taking your lives and others lives into your hands. There are many many many reasons this hitch never should have been released for high profile 5thwheels. Most weekend warriors love the Anderson as long as they never experience a broadside wind. If you watch the videos they are always testing it with a lower profile trailers NOT A 13.6 TALL 5THWHEEL. there is a reason for that. Have you ever seen a commercial truck using a ball style hitch with the cargo trailers? Nope and you never will. Gooseneck hitches are great for flatbeds and stock trailers not high profile RV's. Broadside winds can and will cause top rocking and the hitch will not isolate it. With a ball hitch you get more movement from side to side. Yes gooseneck can pull more weight then a traditional 5thwheel rv hitch. Also talk to your rv manufacturers 90% of them use LCI frames and LCI will not warranty any frame damage caused by this hitch. And I'm telling you right now you will have frame damage in time from the use of this hitch. It changes the attachment point the pin box of the trailer. It also puts weight where it's not supposed to have it. So is it the latest a greatest invention since mustard. NO dont do it. Stick with the tried and true method. The method with hundreds of billions of safe miles on them. Tha actual 5thwheel hitch and the simpler the better. Fewer fail points fewer moving parts. Personally I use the B&W and it is not hard to get in and out of the truck.

That is a pretty bold and broad statement from someone who never pulled with it. I pull a 37' Heartland Cyclone toy hauler with it for 4 years in high winds, back roads and long hauls loaded with water and a SXS and never had a bit of trouble. In-fact it was the smoothest hitch I ever owned. No need for lube and very quiet. Unlike Reese and some of the others I had.

Rather than make statements like that, if you really think it is dangerous call Andersen and give them your thoughts. If you have no experience with something, don't make assumptions.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:46 PM   #39

Oh your right I have never pulled with the Anderson hitch. And for that matter never will. That said I have an engineering background. And have 1.5 million safe miles in commercial trucks, and close to half million miles pulling all types of rv's and flatbeds, and gooseneck trailers all over the us, and Canada. Believe me I know a bit about what I'm talking about. And most not all the people I know that have the Anderson have gone back to a 5thwheel hitch. That said I also know 3 different people that have done damage to their rvs with the Anderson 2 were Montanas 1 was an older eagle. Why risk it?
Mad5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:07 PM   #40
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad5581 View Post
Oh your right I have never pulled with the Anderson hitch. And for that matter never will. That said I have an engineering background. And have 1.5 million safe miles in commercial trucks, and close to half million miles pulling all types of rv's and flatbeds, and gooseneck trailers all over the us, and Canada. Believe me I know a bit about what I'm talking about. And most not all the people I know that have the Anderson have gone back to a 5thwheel hitch. That said I also know 3 different people that have done damage to their rvs with the Anderson 2 were Montanas 1 was an older eagle. Why risk it?

Actually, if the RV storage area I store in is any example, more are switching to Andersen. I see more and more every trip there.

Again, you are making big and bold statements and seem to have a strong opinion so again, I suggest you call Andersen and let them know what your expert opinion is. I am not going to try to change your mind but keep in mind the statements you make, and made could be use by Andersen in a suit against you. Damaging a business with unsubstantiated and false statement has gotten more than one blogger in trouble.

Much like the caution that was given out in on thread here about "bad mouthing" Jayco, you are doing that with Andersen. If you have proof put it out there but if it is your "expert opinion" you might want to reconsider blasting a company on a Web site for all to see and read.

The OP asked which is the best, which is a loaded question to begin with. The proper procedure then would be to give your opinion on what you have not blast something you have no clue about. And being an engineer, and hauler means little in the end. Engineer of what? Never mind that was rhetorical.

Oh, and BTW, I am sending your comments on to Andersen. Their response might be interesting.