Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-27-2019, 10:46 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
vapor3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Owasso
Posts: 10
Fifth Wheel Hitch

Which supplier makes the best non slider fifth wheel hitch?
__________________

__________________
Rick and Lynda Smith
2020 JAYCO 30.5CKTS
2018 RAM 2500 4x4, 6.7 liter Cummins Turbo Diesel
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:52 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 201
When we were searching for one, we kept coming up with B&W Companion. People like them. We like ours. Solid build. Easily comes out (if you have the factory puck system) in two 70# pieces that you can handle.
__________________

__________________
Ford F250, Crew, 6.2 Gas, 4X4, Short Bed, Companion Hitch
2019 Jayco 28.5 RSTS, MorRyde orbital
Cincinnati Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 11:06 AM   #3
CAG
Senior Member
 
CAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 309
Andersen. Ultimate 5th wheel hitch and you will never go back to a 150+ pound piece of metal that hogs up your truck bed when you don't need it. They are smooth, light weight, and never need lube.

https://andersenhitches.com/
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 02:29 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Bowmanville
Posts: 81
Hensley air ride, hands down the best hitch you will ever own for your truck & RV
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 06:25 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Lake Huron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Port Huron, Mi
Posts: 394
I have a B&W. Complete under the bed frame mounted system. Hitch comes out in 2 pieces pretty easily and when it's out I have a clean bed with no rails interfering. I can also hook up to a gooseneck trailer with it.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 08:19 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Andersen. Ultimate 5th wheel hitch and you will never go back to a 150+ pound piece of metal that hogs up your truck bed when you don't need it. They are smooth, light weight, and never need lube.

https://andersenhitches.com/
X1 Andersen Ultimate.
__________________

2017 Northpoint 377RLBH
2016 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually, 4x4
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 08:45 PM   #7
BJC
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Oregon City
Posts: 12
Reese M5 20K puck style and love it. Two piece, for ease of removal and very easy to operate and connect. The go/no go connection feature is really nice as well eliminating potential false hook ups. For the record it’s the only hitch I’ve used so others are likely much better suited for advice But I find this hitch very easy to operate and well built.
BJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:05 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Big1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lakewood, WA.
Posts: 2,118
You will get a lot of mix suggestion here so I will do your homework and pick the best one for you, my vote is the B&W Companion.
__________________
2018 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L CTD
2019 Jayco Eagle 321RSTS 5th Wheel
Retired Army MSG
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 11:14 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Whitby
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffur View Post
Hensley air ride, hands down the best hitch you will ever own for your truck & RV
Yeh $4000 CAD
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 11:22 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Nathan S.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Murrieta
Posts: 245
I have an autoslider and itís heavier than crap. Itís not easy to get out of the bed, but I have a short bed and appreciate it every time I maneuver the trailer. And love the hitch. I have read a lot of posts about this subject in the forum. IMO you have 2 choices, the Anderson hitch if you have a factory puck system, or the B&W. No factory puck.....have fun deciding.

Good luck
__________________
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS, MORryde Pin Box, Zamp Solar, Xantrex Inverter (16Ē wheel upgrade, springs on lower shackle hole)
F-250 4X4 Supercab w/SB, 6.2L,Camper Package, Factory 5th Wheel Hitch, Demco 18K Autoslider

Gone Fishing!
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 07:17 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
robkelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Duxbury
Posts: 6,232
My vote is for the B&W Companion. Significant upgrade from the Reese I used to have
__________________
Rob & Kelly, Bella & Brady (Miniature Schnauzers)
2018 Pinnacle 36KPTS
2017 RAM 3500 SRW CTD/AISIN CC LB
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 07:45 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
TxLoser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: DFW
Posts: 933
Went from Curt to B&W few years ago. Love the B&W Patriot.
__________________
2019 Eagle 321RSTS
2019 Chevy 3500HD SRW Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 08:34 AM   #13
CAG
Senior Member
 
CAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan S. View Post
I have an autoslider and it’s heavier than crap. It’s not easy to get out of the bed, but I have a short bed and appreciate it every time I maneuver the trailer. And love the hitch. I have read a lot of posts about this subject in the forum. IMO you have 2 choices, the Anderson hitch if you have a factory puck system, or the B&W. No factory puck.....have fun deciding.

Good luck
So here is my take on that problem. My previous unit, a 35' toy hauler had an advertised 88 degree turn ability. I have a 2014 Duramax short bed. It did make short turns fine, but by switching to the Andersen and setting it up to give me even more room, I could, if not watching, jackknife it beyond 90 degrees and not touch the back of the cab or the trailer. Making sharp turns never was a big worry but after that it was no worry at all.

Then add to that the fact that the hitch weighs 45 lbs, removing it no longer took me and the neighbor when I wanted my full bed for other purposes.

You do not need a puck system with Andersen Ultimate, I am not sure where you saw that but not so. The Ultimate drops into the slots on your current rails and pins in. I had a puck system with the hitch on the previous truck, and it left holes in the bed when I sold it. Don't like that idea at all.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1409.jpg   IMG_1412.jpg  
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:04 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Nathan S.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Murrieta
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
So here is my take on that problem. My previous unit, a 35' toy hauler had an advertised 88 degree turn ability. I have a 2014 Duramax short bed. It did make short turns fine, but by switching to the Andersen and setting it up to give me even more room, I could, if not watching, jackknife it beyond 90 degrees and not touch the back of the cab or the trailer. Making sharp turns never was a big worry but after that it was no worry at all.

Then add to that the fact that the hitch weighs 45 lbs, removing it no longer took me and the neighbor when I wanted my full bed for other purposes.

You do not need a puck system with Andersen Ultimate, I am not sure where you saw that but not so. The Ultimate drops into the slots on your current rails and pins in. I had a puck system with the hitch on the previous truck, and it left holes in the bed when I sold it. Don't like that idea at all.
I was a newbie and doing my research. Everybody I talked to said slider, slider, slider. So quickly homed in on an autoslider. Then I took possession of my trailer and joined the forum. Now I wish I had joined the forum during my research phase. There are a few things I would have done differently. The hitch is one. I love the hitch I have and fortunately I donít have to take it in and out. If at some point I have to make a change the Andersen is the way I would go.
__________________
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS, MORryde Pin Box, Zamp Solar, Xantrex Inverter (16Ē wheel upgrade, springs on lower shackle hole)
F-250 4X4 Supercab w/SB, 6.2L,Camper Package, Factory 5th Wheel Hitch, Demco 18K Autoslider

Gone Fishing!
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:35 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
AKRUEBBE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Wherever we want to!
Posts: 1,809
B&W Companion for me. Don't know what it is, but the Anderson Ultimate makes me nervous. I think it's something about it only weighing 45# and resting a 3,500# pin weight on it while pulling a 17,000# 5er. I'm sure it's very capable but I'm very willing for someone else to do the testing
__________________
AL & JANET KRUEBBE
2019 PINNACLE 37RLWS
2018 NORTH POINT 315RLTS (TRADED)
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:45 AM   #16
CAG
Senior Member
 
CAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
B&W Companion for me. Don't know what it is, but the Anderson Ultimate makes me nervous. I think it's something about it only weighing 45# and resting a 3,500# pin weight on it while pulling a 17,000# 5er. I'm sure it's very capable but I'm very willing for someone else to do the testing
The testing has already been done and then verified by thousands of us who use the hitch. Go to the Web site and watch the crush test. Andersen has been around for years. This is not some new invention.

If it makes you nervous obviously you don't want to use it but those of us who do (did) find it refreshing and a release from bulky, heavy, bed robbing and noisy conventional hitches.

If you would like to see first hand testimony go to the Heartland RV Web site, and search Andersen hitch. There are volumes there from people using it.
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 11:39 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
AKRUEBBE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Wherever we want to!
Posts: 1,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
The testing has already been done and then verified by thousands of us who use the hitch. Go to the Web site and watch the crush test. Andersen has been around for years. This is not some new invention. If it makes you nervous obviously you don't want to use it but those of us who do (did) find it refreshing and a release from bulky, heavy, bed robbing and noisy conventional hitches. If you would like to see first hand testimony go to the Heartland RV Web site, and search Andersen hitch. There are volumes there from people using it.
I agree, the B&W is bulky & heavy...........noisy? I have never heard a peep out of it other when the pin slips into the jaws.........the most pleasant "klink" I can hear
__________________
AL & JANET KRUEBBE
2019 PINNACLE 37RLWS
2018 NORTH POINT 315RLTS (TRADED)
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 02:11 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Bowmanville
Posts: 81
4G - but how much have you got invested in your RV. Try one, you want go back. You will have a better ride and so will your RV.
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 04:23 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Joan617's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Florida for Winter, then TX for Crack
Posts: 442
A new neighbor here at the CG has a Reese ďGoose-ballĒ hitch on his 5ver. The only thing in his truck bed is a ball that plugs into the center hole in his puck system. The ball assembly, about the size of a pineapple, lifts out with one hand and could fit under a seat. Instant empty bed. The goose neck on the FW has an airbag between the ball socket and the pin box mount. He says it rides like dream. His truck is identical to mine except he has the puck system and I donít but he says that there is a version that could mount in my truck. Itís slick.

Angus
__________________
Joan & Angus Campbell
Full Time Roaming, chasing 78 degrees
2019 Pinnacle 36SSWS
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
4 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 09:43 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Eckville
Posts: 145
Big fat vote for the B&W Companion.
Smoothest hitch we have ever had. We will never change brands again.
I would rather have 150lbs of iron holding our RV tight to our truck than the frail looking alternative.
Also, anything that you pin to universal rails in the truck bed will have some sort of play that will drive you crazy with banging.
The Companion and Turnover ball design sucks the hitch tight to the truck bed...No play at all.
Cheers
__________________

__________________
2015 F350 DRW King Ranch
B&W Turnover Ball and 20K Companion
2017 Eagle 339FLQS
Watsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×