Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-27-2019, 10:46 AM   #1

Fifth Wheel Hitch

Which supplier makes the best non slider fifth wheel hitch?
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:52 AM   #2

When we were searching for one, we kept coming up with B&W Companion. People like them. We like ours. Solid build. Easily comes out (if you have the factory puck system) in two 70# pieces that you can handle.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:06 AM   #3
CAG

Andersen. Ultimate 5th wheel hitch and you will never go back to a 150+ pound piece of metal that hogs up your truck bed when you don't need it. They are smooth, light weight, and never need lube.

https://andersenhitches.com/
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 02:29 PM   #4

Hensley air ride, hands down the best hitch you will ever own for your truck & RV
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 06:25 PM   #5

I have a B&W. Complete under the bed frame mounted system. Hitch comes out in 2 pieces pretty easily and when it's out I have a clean bed with no rails interfering. I can also hook up to a gooseneck trailer with it.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 08:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Andersen. Ultimate 5th wheel hitch and you will never go back to a 150+ pound piece of metal that hogs up your truck bed when you don't need it. They are smooth, light weight, and never need lube.

https://andersenhitches.com/
X1 Andersen Ultimate.

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 08:45 PM   #7
BJC

Reese M5 20K puck style and love it. Two piece, for ease of removal and very easy to operate and connect. The go/no go connection feature is really nice as well eliminating potential false hook ups. For the record it’s the only hitch I’ve used so others are likely much better suited for advice But I find this hitch very easy to operate and well built.
BJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:05 PM   #8

You will get a lot of mix suggestion here so I will do your homework and pick the best one for you, my vote is the B&W Companion.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 11:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffur View Post
Hensley air ride, hands down the best hitch you will ever own for your truck & RV
Yeh $4000 CAD
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 11:22 PM   #10

I have an autoslider and it’s heavier than crap. It’s not easy to get out of the bed, but I have a short bed and appreciate it every time I maneuver the trailer. And love the hitch. I have read a lot of posts about this subject in the forum. IMO you have 2 choices, the Anderson hitch if you have a factory puck system, or the B&W. No factory puck.....have fun deciding.

Good luck

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 07:17 AM   #11

My vote is for the B&W Companion. Significant upgrade from the Reese I used to have
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 07:45 AM   #12

Went from Curt to B&W few years ago. Love the B&W Patriot.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 08:34 AM   #13
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan S. View Post
I have an autoslider and it’s heavier than crap. It’s not easy to get out of the bed, but I have a short bed and appreciate it every time I maneuver the trailer. And love the hitch. I have read a lot of posts about this subject in the forum. IMO you have 2 choices, the Anderson hitch if you have a factory puck system, or the B&W. No factory puck.....have fun deciding.

Good luck
So here is my take on that problem. My previous unit, a 35' toy hauler had an advertised 88 degree turn ability. I have a 2014 Duramax short bed. It did make short turns fine, but by switching to the Andersen and setting it up to give me even more room, I could, if not watching, jackknife it beyond 90 degrees and not touch the back of the cab or the trailer. Making sharp turns never was a big worry but after that it was no worry at all.

Then add to that the fact that the hitch weighs 45 lbs, removing it no longer took me and the neighbor when I wanted my full bed for other purposes.

You do not need a puck system with Andersen Ultimate, I am not sure where you saw that but not so. The Ultimate drops into the slots on your current rails and pins in. I had a puck system with the hitch on the previous truck, and it left holes in the bed when I sold it. Don't like that idea at all.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1409.jpg   IMG_1412.jpg  
Old 11-28-2019, 10:04 AM   #14

Quote:
So here is my take on that problem. My previous unit, a 35' toy hauler had an advertised 88 degree turn ability. I have a 2014 Duramax short bed. It did make short turns fine, but by switching to the Andersen and setting it up to give me even more room, I could, if not watching, jackknife it beyond 90 degrees and not touch the back of the cab or the trailer. Making sharp turns never was a big worry but after that it was no worry at all.

Then add to that the fact that the hitch weighs 45 lbs, removing it no longer took me and the neighbor when I wanted my full bed for other purposes.

You do not need a puck system with Andersen Ultimate, I am not sure where you saw that but not so. The Ultimate drops into the slots on your current rails and pins in. I had a puck system with the hitch on the previous truck, and it left holes in the bed when I sold it. Don't like that idea at all.
I was a newbie and doing my research. Everybody I talked to said slider, slider, slider. So quickly homed in on an autoslider. Then I took possession of my trailer and joined the forum. Now I wish I had joined the forum during my research phase. There are a few things I would have done differently. The hitch is one. I love the hitch I have and fortunately I don’t have to take it in and out. If at some point I have to make a change the Andersen is the way I would go.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:35 AM   #15

B&W Companion for me. Don't know what it is, but the Anderson Ultimate makes me nervous. I think it's something about it only weighing 45# and resting a 3,500# pin weight on it while pulling a 17,000# 5er. I'm sure it's very capable but I'm very willing for someone else to do the testing
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:45 AM   #16
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
B&W Companion for me. Don't know what it is, but the Anderson Ultimate makes me nervous. I think it's something about it only weighing 45# and resting a 3,500# pin weight on it while pulling a 17,000# 5er. I'm sure it's very capable but I'm very willing for someone else to do the testing
The testing has already been done and then verified by thousands of us who use the hitch. Go to the Web site and watch the crush test. Andersen has been around for years. This is not some new invention.

If it makes you nervous obviously you don't want to use it but those of us who do (did) find it refreshing and a release from bulky, heavy, bed robbing and noisy conventional hitches.

If you would like to see first hand testimony go to the Heartland RV Web site, and search Andersen hitch. There are volumes there from people using it.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:39 AM   #17

Quote:
The testing has already been done and then verified by thousands of us who use the hitch. Go to the Web site and watch the crush test. Andersen has been around for years. This is not some new invention. If it makes you nervous obviously you don't want to use it but those of us who do (did) find it refreshing and a release from bulky, heavy, bed robbing and noisy conventional hitches. If you would like to see first hand testimony go to the Heartland RV Web site, and search Andersen hitch. There are volumes there from people using it.
I agree, the B&W is bulky & heavy...........noisy? I have never heard a peep out of it other when the pin slips into the jaws.........the most pleasant "klink" I can hear
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 02:11 PM   #18

4G - but how much have you got invested in your RV. Try one, you want go back. You will have a better ride and so will your RV.
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 04:23 PM   #19

A new neighbor here at the CG has a Reese “Goose-ball” hitch on his 5ver. The only thing in his truck bed is a ball that plugs into the center hole in his puck system. The ball assembly, about the size of a pineapple, lifts out with one hand and could fit under a seat. Instant empty bed. The goose neck on the FW has an airbag between the ball socket and the pin box mount. He says it rides like dream. His truck is identical to mine except he has the puck system and I don’t but he says that there is a version that could mount in my truck. It’s slick.

Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 09:43 PM   #20

Big fat vote for the B&W Companion.
Smoothest hitch we have ever had. We will never change brands again.
I would rather have 150lbs of iron holding our RV tight to our truck than the frail looking alternative.
Also, anything that you pin to universal rails in the truck bed will have some sort of play that will drive you crazy with banging.
The Companion and Turnover ball design sucks the hitch tight to the truck bed...No play at all.
Cheers
Watsons is offline   Reply With Quote