Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2016, 05:41 PM   #1

First trip review

Just got back from a 700 mile trip from NC to Savannah Ga. Trip was down I-95. This was our first trip in the new 2500 CTD CCSB. we had 3 teenagers in the back seat and the wife and I were up front. We pull a Jayflight 28BHBE that weighs about 7800-7900 lbs. I could tell a massive improve,met right out the drive from our Suburban. It got out to 62MPH which is where I set the cruise. I put it in tow/haul mode w/ the EB on also. This thing towed it like a dream!! I could hardly tell when I was getting passed by a big rig. It was so nice to set the cruise and let it go. We averaged 11.44 MPG by hand which is about 3mpg better than the burb. The only problem I had was after some slow traffic, I got a SERVICE 4 WHEEL DRIVE. I pulled over, checked the manual for what causes the light, but couldn't find anything. I was about to call Ram service when I decided to restart the computer...restart the truck. I did and the code was gone never to return on the trip. Pulled back on the interstate and continued on.

The kids said they had plenty of room. One thing that's a pain right now is some nice I have the tradesman package, there are no USB plugs in the back and we have to use the ones on the center console. Well, that one is wired into the radio, so everything a phone is plugged in there, it syncs and starts playing on the radio. I'm going to have to remedy that before long.

It is a great relief to just sit back and let the truck do the work as it cruises at 1400RPM!!!
Swinepartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:42 PM   #2

Does your RAM have a cigarette plug in the back seat? Mine does and I put a double USB charge plug in there for the kids to have some power.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swinepartner View Post
I put it in tow/haul mode w/ the EB on also.
I'm sure this will be a face palm moment for me, but why would you have the Emergency Brake on at the same time as the cruise control?
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 03:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
Does your RAM have a cigarette plug in the back seat? Mine does and I put a double USB charge plug in there for the kids to have some power.
Tradesman package. That's what I have and the rear compartment is spacious, but spartan. No plugs to be found. If I were OP, I would put in a small inverter under/behind the seat. But then I have dual 160A alternators, so I can probably power just about anything I want!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
I'm sure this will be a face palm moment for me, but why would you have the Emergency Brake on at the same time as the cruise control?
EB=Exhaust Brake

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
EB=Exhaust Brake

Tolja

(I did eventually puzzle it out, but if you don't know diesels its not a familiar term, and I think the first time I've seen it as an acronym here - I might be more tempted to use XB).
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Tradesman package. That's what I have and the rear compartment is spacious, but spartan. No plugs to be found. If I were OP, I would put in a small inverter under/behind the seat. But then I have dual 160A alternators, so I can probably power just about anything I want!
This is what I'm probably going to do. Already been YouTubeing some models and reviews.
Swinepartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:39 PM   #7

Congrats on the new truck. I've enjoyed mine a lot. Buying a new White Hawk tomorrow morning.... yippee! (I think)
Old 07-29-2016, 06:58 PM   #8

Congrats on new Truck
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote