Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-26-2020, 05:00 AM   #1

Ford 2003 F250 7.3L

Good morning and Happy Thanksgiving all.

My daily driver/tow vehicle for my 264BHW is a 2003 Ford F250 7.3L. This is a basic Lariat truck that does just fine with any towing capacity.

I was thinking of getting a tuner for this (mainly to stretch out the diesel mileage) and wanted to know some thoughts and opinions and pros and cons as I am not that familiar with these.

I was thinking of this particular one:

https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/...-chip-73l-ford

Thank you in advance for any feedback or recommendations.
199LIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:50 AM   #2

I haven’t used one with a diesel, but have on my 5.4 2007 f150, and I can tell you they do make a big difference. I had an sct tuner and could buy tunes that could be uploaded for what I wanted or had modified on the engine. I mainly bought it to change the tire size so my speedometer was right after bigger tires, but I did use the pre programmed tunes loaded to it, changed my shift points and such and it made a world of difference on that engine.

I have read that tuning a 7.3 makes a huge difference as well. Hopefully you’ll get some feedback on that specific engine.
Furrion Vision S 7” Rear and Side View Cameras
2021JayFlight28BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:48 AM   #3
Site Team

That is the old TS Flip Chip as we would call it. Those have been around for years are a really good product. Before you install it however, I would suggest investing in a set of gauges. At a minimum, you will want an EGT gauge (exhaust gas temperature) and a transmission temp gauge if your truck is an automatic.

Modified diesels, even mildly modded ones, have a tendency to get really hot really quick especially under conditions like towing.

Here is an example of the gauge set on my current Cummins. You don't need anything this complete at first. But, is a good example of what you should be considering. From left to right, turbo boost, EGT, fuel pressure, and rail pressure in the small electronic gauge on the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
20201126_084038.jpg  
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:33 AM   #4

You are standing at the door that will take you into an eye opening, mind blowing, totally different world. The big question is how much control do you THINK you have on yourself as to how far you want to enter this new world.
I've been playing with diesels since 99. When I started getting into it that world was just getting out of the pioneering stages. There weren't a lot of places out there that were "modifying" diesels. Some of the pioneers were Banks out on the west coast, but more here in the midwest like Haisley, Scheid, TS, TST,... A lot of it was more geared toward performance than MPG. They were finding that performance gains would gain MPG, to a point. When they modified or "tuned" it, the engine can run instead of being choked like it came from the factory. The hard part of getting the MPG is training your right foot on all that new found power you just got. The more power you add the faster you'll find the weakest links.
If they say you'll gain 2-4 mpg, it's possible but... A light tune that adds a small 50hp increase is basically taking your say 235p engine and making it a 300hp engine. I know, you did the math and 235 + 50 equals 285 and not 300. They said it will add 50 REAR WHEEL HP. Engine HP is different from RWHP. Your 235hp engine is really at 190 RWHP. You're gonna lose between 18 and 20% of the engine hp thru your driveline.
By adding 50RWHP to your engine, is that going to hurt anything else on your truck? Probably not. Every year auto manufacturers keep adding HP to engines by mere "tuning" and really dont upgrade the other things like the rear axles, differentials, drive shafts, transmissions, etc until they have to.
Your truck being an 03 is old technology, 03 is when it became mandatory for ULSD fuel. They basically took out all the BTU in diesel fuel that made good power, which went hand in hand with MPG, and better lubrication of fuel components. Eventhough yours is old technology, it is a stout built engine so it an hold up to some added hp and you may actually see some MPG increase, but dont get too disappointed if you dont.
DPP is a good company to purchase from. I've purchased things from them thru the years and never had any issues. As far as the product from TS Performance you're looking at, I cant speak first hand of that exact item, but TS has been around for a long time and makes good products. If they didnt, they wouldn't have stood the test of time and still be in business, and they are a pretty big business too. They do a lot of sponsorships for performance trucks and are one of the main sponsors in show events out there.
With that plug and play tuner you're looking at, youre taking a baby step into the new world. That's how I started years ago, but my baby step didnt last long and I dove headlong into that world with my 99 Cummins. For me it was like a drug addiction, you always got to have more, and oh man did I spend some money! Lol!
Where am I at now? I still have the fire breathing, demon possessed Cummins that is in a "project" state we will say, and yet i have a 15 Duramax that is bone stock. I regained my self control. Lol!
If you take the $230 you are gonna spend on the tuner and put that money into diesel fuel for your truck at say $2.30/gal., that's gonna get you 100gal of fuel. Equates to about 3 free tank fills on your truck. Say you get 15MPG x 30gal tank x 3 tank fills that gives you 1350 miles.
2MPG increase x 30gal tank is an extra 60 miles/ tank fill. Itll take you 22.5 tank fills to break even.
But you have to figure in the added HP increase you're gonna gain from it too. How much is that worth stepping into that new world?? Lol!
Old 11-26-2020, 01:08 PM   #5

I've got the 7.3, 2001 version.
Added a DP Tuner, Jody Tipton owner is nice to work with.
I got on the fly ability to pick, stock tune, 60hp towing,80 around town(I tow in 80hp), and high idle.
The difference in the 60 and 80 is shift points, horse power, and torque converter lockup and release.
Didn't gain MPG, but, with the added horse power I didn't loose original mpg. Win win!! I also added gauges,boost,tyranny temp, and exhaust temp.
In the big picture of things I didn't buy my Excursion for fuel mileage, I bought it to do its job.... tow my trailers without white knuckles and ease.
If and when you add a chip your mpg indicator is useless, you will need to hand calculate mpg the old fashion way.
Good luck on the decision,
PaulB12
Oh, by the way I've had it chipped since about 2005 with absolutely no ill effects (knock on wood).
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 199LIB View Post
Good morning and Happy Thanksgiving all.

My daily driver/tow vehicle for my 264BHW is a 2003 Ford F250 7.3L. This is a basic Lariat truck that does just fine with any towing capacity.

I was thinking of getting a tuner for this (mainly to stretch out the diesel mileage) and wanted to know some thoughts and opinions and pros and cons as I am not that familiar with these.

I was thinking of this particular one:

https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/...-chip-73l-ford

Thank you in advance for any feedback or recommendations.

Alright as a fellow 7.3L owner the TS 6 is a “nice” option, in fact I bought one too. It’s sitting in a box here, if you’re interested in it I’ll make you a killer deal!

HOWEVER, if you do not like the tunes on it, you have to pull the chip off the PCM then send it in to whoever’s going to tune it for you. They will write the tune on it, send it back to you, you will reinstall it, run it for a while if you like it great your set. However, if you don’t like it, you will once again remove it once again send it back to the tuner they will make modifications to the Tunes. They will put it back in the mail send it back to you and you will start again.

The PHP HYDRA is a much better option. You can load 15 tunes on it, you have access to PHP‘s entire tune file as part of your initial purchase. You can also load the other tuners Tunes on it, Gearhead, Andrew Arthur, Jellibuilt etc. You simply buy the tune from the tuner of your choice, they email it to you, you connect your computer to the chip that is still installed on your truck, download that tune and you’re set.
Let’s say you order a tune from Gearhead, you install it on your Hydra and the shifts are too harsh. You email Gearhead, ask for a modification to the shifting points, they email you the new tune, you delete the old one and install the new one. Every tuner is known for different shifting strategies, power, smoke etc.
I have PHP Tunes and Andrew Aurther’s tunes. PHP tunes are hotter, and great for driving around unloaded or with a very light load. However, at this elevation they provide too much fuel for the air available and I get excessive black smoke and heat… Think high EGT’s. Andrews Tunes provide excellent shifting points, excellent power without the high EGT’s. I can drive with a heavy trailer, OD off and not have to worry about my EGT‘s for the most part.
I would recommend you buy it from Clay at riffraff diesel. Anything from Clay is a proven performer on the 7.3 L...NO AFTERMARKET junk sensors etc.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The hydra allows you to shift on the fly. However, you cannot shift from the stock tune to an aftermarket tune with the truck running! This must be done with the truck off key cycled on, return the truck to stock setting, key off key back on. The same thing goes if you’re currently in your stock tune
and want to go to an aftermarket tune. Key on with the truck off, switch your hydra to tune of your choice, Key off, key back on. Then start the truck...

If you decide to buy a tuner, I recommend gauges: Transmission, EGT’s . A fuel pressure gauge is nice for diagnostic purposes. A boost gauge provides good feedback. The PCM will defuel the truck at about 23# of boost. You’ll either need an OCR or ask the tuner if they deal with defueling. Keep in mind if you are still running the stock turbo it will not last long hitting boost numbers above 30.

https://gopowerhungry.com/hydra-chip/

https://www.riffraffdiesel.com/php-hydra-chip/
Old 11-30-2020, 09:38 AM   #7

I use DP Tuners, check them out.

PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote