Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-08-2017, 02:37 PM   #41
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post
Not for me, I ain't got $80k, $90k, or $100k for a truck, and sure ain't going into debt for one. I think the whole vehicle market is totally out of control. For me personally, so much of what I would be paying for I would not use and could not careless about or want it in my life (techno-stuff)- I really like my "work-truck," to each his own.
That's why cheapskate Crabman still has two fourteen year old trucks. Last time I priced a new one I came home and changed the oil in the 2500 and did not pursue thoughts of a new one further. But someday I will have to get something else......
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:42 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
That's why cheapskate Crabman still has two fourteen year old trucks. Last time I priced a new one I came home and changed the oil in the 2500 and did not pursue thoughts of a new one further. But someday I will have to get something else......
I hear you. I am hoping to drive our current TV for at least another decade.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:00 PM   #43

Used trucks has always been the economical option. Once they are out of warranty they don't depreciate very fast, and the maintenance isn't really that bad. But you do need to keep a little set aside in case something large comes along.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:11 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyDad View Post
But you do need to keep a little set aside in case something large comes along.
I like your lingo. Large does come along. A feller's got to be prepared.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:13 PM   #45

The difference between new and used comes when you use a truck to make a living vs. for pleasure. I’m a used buyer all day for my wife who drives 12k a year (but I still buy no older than 3 model years) I drive commercially, towing and/or plowing to the tune of 35-50k a year, so new or almost new is a necessity for me. That also makes a diesel a no brainer for me.

As with everything in life, it’s a “to each his own” situation. Modern diesels are impressive and absolutely have a place. Plenty of people buy them for show, but plenty of us buy them because we need them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:16 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by repacs0103 View Post
The difference between new and used comes when you use a truck to make a living vs. for pleasure. I’m a used buyer all day for my wife who drives 12k a year (but I still buy no older than 3 model years) I drive commercially, towing and/or plowing to the tune of 35-50k a year, so new or almost new is a necessity for me. That also makes a diesel a no brainer for me.

As with everything in life, it’s a “to each his own” situation. Modern diesels are impressive as and absolutely have a place. Plenty of people buy them for show, but plenty of us buy them because we need them.

Absolutely.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:43 AM   #47

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
Not sure what Ford's diesel track record is, by their sales, i would have to think it is good...but i can say one thing working in a GM Dealership, the Duramax Diesel Pick-up has been a very reliable ..... yes early ones have had issues,but lately, not many issues. Most of them come back for warranty issues having to do with other parts of the truck, so has nothing to do with powertrain. Not everyone needs a diesel, not everyone uses their truck just to pull an RV. The intent of this post was to mention the towing power of the new Super Duty, not to argue back and forth about whats good, whats not, about auto companies paying magazines, that kinda stuff. You drive what you drive, he'll drive what he drives ..... not two peoples situations are alike. I always likw when someone will post on a RV site asking about tow vehicle ...... everyone has an opinion, but i always like the one when someone says you don't have enough tow vehicle for that light weight trailer, or you may want to consider a 3/4 ton, because they tow better ..... but, the individual's #1 use of his truck is his daily life, and maybe 3 or 4 times a year, he hooks up a trailer and goes camping, so does he really need all that "grunt" on a regular basis .... no! I cringe when someone asks that question!
Old 12-09-2017, 07:17 AM   #48
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycojay View Post
Not sure what Ford's diesel track record is, by their sales, i would have to think it is good...but i can say one thing working in a GM Dealership, the Duramax Diesel Pick-up has been a very reliable ..... yes early ones have had issues,but lately, not many issues. Most of them come back for warranty issues having to do with other parts of the truck, so has nothing to do with powertrain. Not everyone needs a diesel, not everyone uses their truck just to pull an RV. The intent of this post was to mention the towing power of the new Super Duty, not to argue back and forth about whats good, whats not, about auto companies paying magazines, that kinda stuff. You drive what you drive, he'll drive what he drives ..... not two peoples situations are alike. I always likw when someone will post on a RV site asking about tow vehicle ...... everyone has an opinion, but i always like the one when someone says you don't have enough tow vehicle for that light weight trailer, or you may want to consider a 3/4 ton, because they tow better ..... but, the individual's #1 use of his truck is his daily life, and maybe 3 or 4 times a year, he hooks up a trailer and goes camping, so does he really need all that "grunt" on a regular basis .... no! I cringe when someone asks that question!
"Can I tow it" threads have kept the staff very busy here for many years. In fact at one time we even had a special watchlist for them in the moderators section because they could head south so quickly.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:36 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by repacs0103 View Post

As with everything in life, it’s a “to each his own” situation. Modern diesels are impressive and absolutely have a place. Plenty of people buy them for show, but plenty of us buy them because we need them.

What is the build date on your F350? Mine was May/10 and I was concerned about the exh valves and turbo which is why I traded it @ 80k miles. When the dealer cert'd it for sale it needed 3k$ of work (my son works there).

I buy new when I either have a higher value trade or one I can't get rid of otherwise. Sales tax is a big part of that decision up here.

I normally buy 1-3 yrs old rather than new if it works. My wife's DD next year is an 81 Z28 so a bit older.

If buying a TV that is also a DD there are more things to take into consideration. I need a diesel for my fiver but also it's my DD which is one of the reasons I went to a SRW from a DRW.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:43 AM   #50
Site Team

When someone asks one of these "can I tow it" questions , I would hope they are gathering information for THIER decision. As stated, everyone has a favorite and each one of us should be aware of the benefits and disadvantages of having to much truck for their needs.

Yes, that's possible too!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote