Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-06-2013, 08:11 AM   #1

Ford Ranger and a Jay Feather 221?

Hello Folks

I am new here. So new in fact that I have yet to purchase my TT.
I am wanting a 221 which is ready to go at my local dealer. It weighs in at around 4000lbs dry and with a GVWR of 5000 lbs.
The spec sheet has it at 96" wide and 121" tall. It is 26' long also.
My 2008 4X4 4.0L Sport Ford Ranger is capable of 6000lbs when used with a weight distribution system I am told.

Although the trailer fits within my weigh limits, my gut instincts tell me its way too much trailer to haul around with that little truck.
I am desperate for some real advice to prevent me from buying a trailer I may regret. Its a great deal but I will need to act quickly I am told.

Thanks

Randy
Cobourg Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #2

Welcome. My thoughts are that with the 6 cyl engine and the size and weight of that truck you would be uncomfortable while towing. My dad has one of those and I had an Explorer which is essentially the same thing and I would be nervous. While it may say you can haul that, you might be white knuckle on more than a few occasions.

I pulled a TT before my current unit that weighed in at 5900# dry and 7K GVW with a 1/2 ton V8 and while it pulled the unit fine some areas it stressed. The unit was 30Ft long and 33 overall from the hitch.

If you are serious about this TT and this deal truly is a deal maybe you buy the unit, bring it home and seriously look into upgrading to a 1/2 ton PU or TV. While I am not a proponent of buying a unit then the TV, in your case a 1/2 ton PU is an easier find than a 3/4 or 1 ton making it an easier more economical upgrade in your case.

Check the deal though and make sure it's is truly a deal as the 2014's are flowing out right now and the selling season is just starting on new trailers. Look around and price out the similar unit online as reference. If not a deal then maybe upgrade your TV first and then go shopping in the fall if you are in that position.

Good luck.

Also Jayco is the only manufacturer with a 2 year warranty on new purchases under the original owner.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobourg Bonz View Post
snip......Although the trailer fits within my weigh limits, my gut instincts tell me its way too much trailer to haul around with that little truck......snip
Randy,

I tend to agree with your "instincts".

Assuming that the 4,000lb weight figure was taken from the yellow sticker (Ship Weight) on the side of the trailer, you now have to add the weight of the battery and any other RV dealer added items......, then there's all that cargo one needs to go camping. IMO depending on your loading habits a loaded Jay Feather 221 can approach it's GVWR.

Your Ranger's 6,000lb Tow Rating is based on it's "Curb Weight", which means that the sum total weights of the Ranger's options, passenger weight, and cargo weight get subtracted from the published 6,000lbs: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...uot-Tow-Rating

So depending on your loading habits the Ranger & Jay Feather 221 combination "may" be doable (TV will be at maximum limits), but IMO won't be an ideal combination.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I would check the GVWR of your Ranger as well.
That may be a show stopper.
Calculate how much payload you have left for the tongue weight of the TT estimating 13-15% of TT GVRW
Also subtract the weight of any additional passengers in your TV plus about 75lbs for your WDH

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #5

I think you need more truck for a 26ft trailer. Go with your instinct.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:18 AM   #6

The attached picture is the "tow ratings" for the 2008 Ranger straight from Fords website. Somebody exaggerated your tow capacity (6,000#)....IF you have the automatic transmission, now looking more like @5,600#. If you have the manual transmission, you'll need to back-up to a pop-up camper or ultralight under 2,500# Dry Weight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	screengrab1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	9791
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote