Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-06-2015, 09:24 PM   #1

Ford Transit Van

We saw one (I think) today with someone who was taking a test drive. My husband and I both detest the large passenger van look but we both kind of liked the style of these new model transits.

Tried to do a little looking into them while we are currently towing our X254 with our Ford Expedition. 😉 (Not horrible but not setting any land speed records as they say.)

From what I can tell they are phasing out the E series 1 ton vans and replacing with these but they don't appear to have comparable towing capabilites. Can anyone shed more light on this?

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:03 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Ford Transit's has been on the European market for over 35 years and have been well proven for the European market. Where speed on combinations (TV and Trailer) is 80 km/hour. Most where 4 cylinder engines diesel or gas. The definition of weight load capacities is totally different in Europe. European design and specs towards North American markets will not meet the domestic truck specifications we are used too. Most of the tow ratings will be around 7000 lbs. which will pull trailers around 5000 lbs. comfortable. Don't expect speeds of 70 @ 75 mph. I have driven them in Europe and at 60 mph with a trailer of 5000 lbs. they have to work hard. I'll stick with the domestic trucks.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:14 AM   #3

I am not a big Ford Fan but our company has been buying some of the new Transits for our Field personnel.
I drove one for a week while our GMC Dually was in the body shop for some repairs to self inflicted damage. (DW caught one of the rear hips on a power pedestal at a CG)
I though it drove good and had good power, it had a V-6 in it and it was not Front Wheel Drive like some of the other models / brands we have.
It is traditional Rear Wheel Drive. I opened the hood and was impressed with the serviceably and access room (many of the Front Wheel Drive Vans are difficult to access routine service items)
We just took delivery of a Ford Transit Van Dually with a I5 Diesel in it (the Inline 5 Cylinder Power Stroke Diesel is currently sourced from South Africa)
I am flying back to the office for a meeting on Monday, hope to get to see the new DRW Diesel Transit
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:47 AM   #4

Transit vans are ok..for what they are. Their towing ability is a bit to be desired though. We sell a lot of them to fleets that don't require a heavy duty van. They have a tow "ability" of about 5000 lbs. - 7000 lbs. I wouldn't recommend the diesel for towing though. The 3.5 Ecoboost is a better choice for towing. Believe it or not, the gas engine has a higher capacity than the diesel. I still wouldn't use it to tow with. You're better off with your Expedition in my opinion.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:36 AM   #5

your correct. The E-series has been discontinued as a passenger van (I think 2013 or 14 was the last year you could get one). Ford is keeping the E-series cutaway (cab and chassis) until 2020 ive been told. The new transit vans appear to be decent, but the one thing I have noticed is that they are unibody construction (no separate frame) like they used to have. In my opinion, the frame makes them stronger and allows for a higher towing capacity.

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowtoy View Post
your correct. The E-series has been discontinued as a passenger van (I think 2013 or 14 was the last year you could get one). Ford is keeping the E-series cutaway (cab and chassis) until 2020 ive been told.
Lots of debate from people "NOT in the know" on what Ford is going to to do if/when the phase out the E350/450 cut-away/stripped chassis. These are still the staple of the mini-bus and RV "upfitters" !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowtoy View Post
The new transit vans appear to be decent, but the one thing I have noticed is that they are unibody construction (no separate frame) like they used to have. In my opinion, the frame makes them stronger and allows for a higher towing capacity.
Which is odd because they DO sell a cut-away version of the Transit and it has a full chassis. Admittedly, not a one piece side rail like the F150 and the cross members are riveted, like most other vehicles in it class.

Max towing on a Transit 350 is 7,500 lbs and I am sure that is less than either the E350 or E450.
theoldwizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:12 AM   #7

There may be some confusion here between the Transit and the Transit Connect.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
There may be some confusion here between the Transit and the Transit Connect.
I was thinking the same thing.

Ford Transit Van or Wagon = Full sized rear wheel drive van.

Ford Transit Connect = Small(er) sized front wheel drive van.

For a while I was thinking about going to a used Ford Transit van with standard height roof. The similar names make searching for deals/information a real PIA.

My opinion.

The Ford Transit, Mercedes/Freightliner Sprinter, and Dodge Promaster vans are all Euro type design. They are not the heavy built Detroit iron. (Perhaps overbuilt for many people's needs?) Within the tow rating the Euro style vans will tow decently. As has been mentioned, they will not tow at high speeds without working a bit hard. The engines are relatively small displacement especially when compared to many Detroit iron V8's and diesels.

That said, my Euro style Sprinter has held up to towing just fine. It now has over 293,000 miles on the clock. I just picked up a 2006 Sprinter fairly rust free replacement with 146,000 miles. I won't have time to prep the new to me van for travel and towing so we'll likely be taking the 2004 293,000 mile one down and back to Florida twice this year.

If you are willing to slow down a little while towing, a Euro style van would work very well for many people. I personally bought a 2006 model year Sprinter replacement because those diesel engines have less emissions controls. The complexity of the required emissions controls on all brands of the newer diesels have moved them down a notch from the run forever without issues diesels of old.

When I was looking at Ford Transits I concentrated on the gas engine models. I'm pretty certain that the same gas engines are used in the Ford pickup trucks too. To me that means that the dealerships will be familiar with the Transit engines.

vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard1 View Post
Lots of debate from people "NOT in the know" on what Ford is going to to do if/when the phase out the E350/450 cut-away/stripped chassis. These are still the staple of the mini-bus and RV "upfitters" !

Although I don't work for Ford, I have worked VERY close with several "mini-bus" manufactures on up coming models. That being said, a year ago I was at one of these manufactures and was told by them that 2020 was the date. Maybe by now Ford has changed it, but just telling you what I was told...

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote