Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-16-2016, 01:40 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1971 View Post
Interesting thread.....I am a proud but not so lately happy owner of a Duramax 2500. I can say that Duramax will pull anything and at 140K, still has the power it had when new. Trouble is, its starting to nickel and dime (actually a lot more than nickels and dimes) me to death. $1900.00 for a new computer, $350.00 for a injector harness, and it is in the shop today awaiting a $1000.00 water pump. 400 for the pump itself and 600 labor to get to the thing. The engine is no problem at all, just the components. I am now looking at a 6.0 since my RV'ing is mostly weekends and within 120 miles of home base. If the DW would ever agree and we could take cross country trips, etc. I would be in the market for a 2016 Duramax, but feel the 6.0 is the smart choice for my current situation. My 5er is 8000 lbs.
Still letting the Chevy dealer work on it, which is likely a reason the repairs are so high, but they do them right.
That's one thing I've been curious about with diesels. My neighbors both sold their gas tow vehicles and bought used Cummins powered Dodge 2500s with high miles (at around the same time too, it was only a little weird). I talked to them both (separately) about it and they both touted how many miles a diesel engine will go. "That's a 1/2 million mile engine right there" they'd say. I couldn't help but think to myself "yeah, that's great, but what about the rest of the truck?" From the axles and suspension all the way to the seats, that truck still has 1XX,000 miles, and almost a decade (or more) of hard service. The engine might be great (assuming it was taken care of), but you're going to have to plop down some real dollars to fix up the rest of the truck...

I've just always been curious about that mentality with regards to older diesel trucks...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:51 PM   #22

I totally agree Camper Bob! I have a co-worker who just bought an early 2000 diesel and he's telling me that going gas is a bad idea, that I should buy an older diesel for the same price as the new gas. I'd love to have the extra torque that these new diesels have but I really wonder how much better a 2002 would pull compared to mine. Not to mention the problems ($$$) that could come up with a 15 year old truck.
canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
The engine might be great (assuming it was taken care of), but you're going to have to plop down some real dollars to fix up the rest of the truck...
Camper Bob, this is whats becoming a concern to me as my 2005 Chevy becomes older. The tech said the computer that fried could have gone out at 20,000 miles, or never. The water pump is something that will eventually wear out, as well other components. I also believe my Duramax will go 500K w/o problems with the maintenance practices I follow but I am beginning to believe the components will in fact deteriorate little by little in the future. I hate monthly payments but am finding out that I am still dishing out $$$ at unexpected times so now I have to decide if I pay the dealer's service department or the bank and drive one with a new truck warranty and let General Motors fix the incidentals if they occur.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1971 View Post
Interesting thread.....I am a proud but not so lately happy owner of a Duramax 2500. I can say that Duramax will pull anything and at 140K, still has the power it had when new. Trouble is, its starting to nickel and dime (actually a lot more than nickels and dimes) me to death. $1900.00 for a new computer, $350.00 for a injector harness, and it is in the shop today awaiting a $1000.00 water pump. 400 for the pump itself and 600 labor to get to the thing. The engine is no problem at all, just the components. I am now looking at a 6.0 since my RV'ing is mostly weekends and within 120 miles of home base. If the DW would ever agree and we could take cross country trips, etc. I would be in the market for a 2016 Duramax, but feel the 6.0 is the smart choice for my current situation. My 5er is 8000 lbs.
Still letting the Chevy dealer work on it, which is likely a reason the repairs are so high, but they do them right.
This is the exact reason we went with gas service trucks this time. When a diesel breaks, its always expensive. Granted our 10 year old diesels were paid for, but when your spending 2 to almost 6 thousand on them every 6 months, it starts to get old. Also figure in the down time, hassle of swapping tools and getting the truck to the shop and back, and it gets even older.

My opinion isnt worth much, but I firmly believe that unless you tow much over 10k or tow weekly, that gas is the cheaper way to go.....unless you just want a diesel.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:43 PM   #25

Quote:
BTDT. You'll definitely like not having to worry so much about your truck. I know the feeling of watching that trans temp tick up too. My Ram trans temp has never been over 175, and that was actually high. Usually it hovers right around 168-170 no matter what I'm doing.
Trans temp on our 2500HD got as high as 185 for a short period on the way back from South Dakota. It was 97 Deg with a heat index of 110deg that day though and we were climbing those long hills on I-90. I got a little nervous but this truck had the oil coolers to keep things happy.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:39 PM   #26

I'm interested in this thread also. We don't have any plans to upgrade our trailer for a while, and even then, the fivers I'm looking at are in the 13K, which is at the upper end of the 6.0/6.4 w/ 4:10. Our issue that we put 30K-40K miles a year on it and that's where the MPH of a diesel comes into play. Decisions...decisions.
Swinepartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:14 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
This is the exact reason we went with gas service trucks this time. When a diesel breaks, its always expensive. Granted our 10 year old diesels were paid for, but when your spending 2 to almost 6 thousand on them every 6 months, it starts to get old. Also figure in the down time, hassle of swapping tools and getting the truck to the shop and back, and it gets even older.

My opinion isnt worth much, but I firmly believe that unless you tow much over 10k or tow weekly, that gas is the cheaper way to go.....unless you just want a diesel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swinepartner View Post
I'm interested in this thread also. We don't have any plans to upgrade our trailer for a while, and even then, the fivers I'm looking at are in the 13K, which is at the upper end of the 6.0/6.4 w/ 4:10. Our issue that we put 30K-40K miles a year on it and that's where the MPH of a diesel comes into play. Decisions...decisions.
Both good points and play right into why I bought gas instead of diesel (not counting the money). I put about 12K miles on my truck every year, and my trailer maxes out at 9250 lbs (and we've never had it even close to that heavy), so it just didn't make any sense in my situation. Sure, a diesel would be nice to have, especially if money were no object, but I just couldn't justify it.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:42 AM   #28

I'll probably get in trouble for posting this, but we have had diesels since 2002 because of the towing we do. Since 1993, we have towed our FW, and any boat we have owned, behind our pickups. When we first started, we had an old 350 and then stepped up to a 454, one a lemon and one that was good. Then in 2002 we got our first diesel. Used them all as daily drivers and the diesel was about 40% better unloaded and 50% better loaded than the gas engines. We now have a Jayco HT 26.5 RLS and a 19' Crestliner that we tow and I just don't know if a 6.0 or 6.4 gasser would do the job near as efficiently as the diesel. Also don't know if the 6.0 or 6.4 would be maxed out for towing capacity with both the boat and FW in tow but I know it is not with the diesel. Being retired we don't put a lot of miles on our vehicles, less than 10,000 per year so hopefully we won't get to the stage of replacing things. By the way, isn't it possible for a gas engine computer or water pump to go out on a gasser like it does on a diesel?
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:36 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
My '02' 2500HD 6.0L gasser has been a great TV thus far, but it's time for an upgrade.

Been leaning toward a new one-ton diesel for the last couple of years......., but decided recently to order a new Silverado 2500HD 6.0L gasser this spring, basically a new-updated version of what I have now.

Don't have any plans of getting into the 5th wheel market, but maybe a "little" bigger TT in the future and that will be well within the capability of the new 6.0L gasser.

Bob
Bob,

Even if you will be within the limits of a 2500HD 6.0, if you are going to factory order a truck, price out the exact same 3500HD SRW as a 2500HD.... Not sure if it's the same now or not, but for the '13 and '14 models the 3500HD was actually CHEAPER by a few hundred dollars!!! Reason being is some options on the 2500HD like the hitch package, and tow mirrors were standard on the 3500HD...

Good luck!!!

Quote:
need-a-vacation makes a good point about the 6-spd transmissions; they do make a difference. So if the older trucks are still pulling strong with a 4-spd, the 6-spd can only make things even better. Right? Proven motor, proven drive-train, all good things IMO.

I will have to see if I still have a chart one of the forum members on Articles - GM-Trucks.com - The Ultimate GM Truck and SUV Community - GM-Trucks.com made up comparing the 4spd trans to the 6spd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Couple View Post
Trans temp on our 2500HD got as high as 185 for a short period on the way back from South Dakota. It was 97 Deg with a heat index of 110deg that day though and we were climbing those long hills on I-90. I got a little nervous but this truck had the oil coolers to keep things happy.
It seems when things are working as they should the trans usually will be about 100* above ambient temp, but not much more unless in some severe sto & go... I knwo our trans temp will climb to about that even here in Mi when we get into some stop & go, but once rolling again drops some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swinepartner View Post
Is the 13K the gvwr of the 5ver's, or the dry weights? If dry, chances are you will be going to an oil burner.. The 6.4/4.10 combo is rated up to 15k (ish)lbs (somewhere in that range, but the 6.0/4.10 is 13,500lbs (I think). BUT, if gvwr is 13k, then, I don't see why either would work. The 6.4 combo may be a slightly better choice though. UNLESS GM gets the 6.0 replacement out before you buy! We can only speculate about that though at this point, unless someone has heard some reliable sources???!!! Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jal0710 View Post
We now have a Jayco HT 26.5 RLS and a 19' Crestliner that we tow and I just don't know if a 6.0 or 6.4 gasser would do the job near as efficiently as the diesel. Also don't know if the 6.0 or 6.4 would be maxed out for towing capacity with both the boat and FW in tow but I know it is not with the diesel. Being retired we don't put a lot of miles on our vehicles, less than 10,000 per year so hopefully we won't get to the stage of replacing things. By the way, isn't it possible for a gas engine computer or water pump to go out on a gasser like it does on a diesel?
How much does your combo weigh? Where all do you travel? Possible a gas 6.0/6.4 would work, but depends on a few factors as you know.

Things will wear out on a gas motor truck as well. I think it is more of the stereo type of a diesel going strong for 500K miles+++. But the body, rest/(or) most of the drivetrain, electronics, etc all are the same as a gas motor truck. And start to nickel and dime the owner once the miles get "up there". Chances are a gas motored truck has already been traded/sold off for a newer model.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:49 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jal0710 View Post
By the way, isn't it possible for a gas engine computer or water pump to go out on a gasser like it does on a diesel?

Yes it is possible, and as it gets older, probable. I think the biggest thing between a diesel and a gasser is the labor costs to get to the component. I haven't looked at the positioning of a water pump on a gasser so I don't know how hard it would be to get to it, but they just about had to pull everything from the grill back to the block to get to my pump. You cannot even see the pump on my truck without putting it on a lift and removing a skid plate off the bottom of the radiator. It's just the way the diesel with all the unique components, lines and the general configuration of the block differs from the gasser. The cost of the pump was high but not unreasonable, but the labor costs.....wow.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:55 PM   #31

Have a friend who retired from GM and he hates everything about his 2015. Kicking himself for not going back to a Duramax
Old 02-17-2016, 07:35 PM   #32

That's an incomplete grumpy statement!
canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:37 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Bob,

Even if you will be within the limits of a 2500HD 6.0, if you are going to factory order a truck, price out the exact same 3500HD SRW as a 2500HD.... Not sure if it's the same now or not, but for the '13 and '14 models the 3500HD was actually CHEAPER by a few hundred dollars!!! Reason being is some options on the 2500HD like the hitch package, and tow mirrors were standard on the 3500HD...
need-a-vacation,

I would go with a 3500HD gasser in a heartbeat, the problem is GM doesn't offer the 3500HD in a Double Cab (extended cab) with a 6 1/2ft box anymore ......, which is the only body style that will fit in my garage.

When I was considering going diesel, my plan was an F-350 Super Cab with a 6 1/2ft box (fits in garage)......., but when I decided to stay with a gasser I prefer the GM 6.0L drivetrain over the Ford 6.2L drivetrain.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:49 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
need-a-vacation,

I would go with a 3500HD gasser in a heartbeat, the problem is GM doesn't offer the 3500HD in a Double Cab (extended cab) with a 6 1/2ft box anymore ......, which is the only body style that will fit in my garage.

When I was considering going diesel, my plan was an F-350 Super Cab with a 6 1/2ft box (fits in garage)......., but when I decided to stay with a gasser I prefer the GM 6.0L drivetrain over the Ford 6.2L drivetrain.

Bob
That stinks!!! Wonder why GM had that great idea??? Lol Just doesn't make sense why they would do that. Same body, frame, etc... Only difference is the rear axle (unless something has changed- 2500 vs 3500 gas motor) and spring pack.

What about this: With the money you save going with a gas motor you just add on the garage!!! Lol

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:26 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
snip......Only difference is the rear axle (unless something has changed- 2500 vs 3500 gas motor) and spring pack.......snip
Can't even get the D/A in the GM 3500HD with a Double Cab & 6 1/2 ft box body style.

Ford is the only manufacture who offers an Extended Cab (their Super Cab) with a 6 1/2 ft box in their F-350 one ton (both gas & diesel).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:44 AM   #36

my brother has a 06 1500HD with the the 6.0 and it pulls his trailer fine,he also put on a tuner which helped with his mileage.His trailer weighs around 8500 i believe.Only issue he had was last summer on our way to florida the temps came up a little on engine and trans in slower traffic but cooled down once we got moving.I have a Duramax diesel and would never go back to gas again,i had a f 250 with the 5.4,it was a great motor and truck but power wise doesnt compare to the diesel. Most diesel maint can be done by yourself,they really arent that much more to maintain unless it comes to injectors,CP3 pump or turbo.A diesel doesnt have to work as hard as a gas engine so its less wear and tear on it.No matter what you get they all need major repairs over time.Id rather spend a few hundred here and there or a 1000 than buy a 60k truck again,but that's just me

2015 Jayco Eagle Premier 314BHDS

IBEW local 94 Electrical Worker
314BHDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:00 AM   #37

6.0 gasser

I have a 2003 1500hd with the 6.0, I believe it is the same motor and transmission that is in the 2500hd gas truck. I have added an edge programmer, cold air intake, and also installed a 4:10 full floating rear end. My FIL bought a camper to park up to his property and didn't have a way to get it up there so he asked me if I would move it for him. It was about 80 mile trip one way, the camper he bought is an older travel supreme that weights about 14K. I might have been a little over my limits of the truck, I am not sure how to gauge what I gained by changing out rear end from a 3.73 semi floating rear end to the 4:10 full floating (came out of a 2002 3500hd SRW). Anyway the truck did awesome I set the cruise at about 62 and I couldn't have been happier with how it did pulling that camper.
Attached Thumbnails
2016-02-18 12.51.10.jpg  
2015 F250 Lariat 6.7 diesel
Camping_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:13 AM   #38

My father in law has a 2011 with the 6.0 and is pulling his new 28RBDS with it. It is his work truck, so he has a high utility cap on it, mileage suffers empty because of it... and its a little worse towing. He got about 7 or 8 on our 1065 mile trip to Florida... but it towed just fine. Plenty of power for the Eastern side of our continent. We go camping in western PA and have to handle the Appalachian mountains and his truck does just fine.

His 28RBDS is only a little shorter than my (and your) 29QBS, but because of the 2nd slide probably weighs pretty close to the same weight. He tows his camper without any problems, I anticipate you won't have any issues.

Congrats on your new truck, now put some miles on your truck and camper!!!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:47 AM   #39

We have a 2007 2500 HD with 6.0 135,000 miles. Here is my assessment. For five years we had a truck camper at about 3000 lb sitting in the truck and pulled a boat 1/2 the time. We averaged 10 mpg fully loaded. The truck pulled any grade out west here like it was nothing, this is the perfect set up. Now 10 months ago we switched to a 28.5 eagle HT 9500 lb and have 8000 miles of towing experience with this set up. The truck dose great towing this 5er we now average 9 mpg at 61 mph. As for pulling up mt grades the truck dose good not great. There is a lack of speed is all It still will climb any thing I have asked of her just a little slower. Out west here in CA our average grade over the mt is 5%-7% grade @ 6,000-7,000 feet in elevation. I can climb these grades at 45-55 mph. A few weeks ago I put her to the test coming out of Death Valley. Hwy 190 west is a solid 8% grade for 12 miles climbing from just below sea level to 5,000' + Yes this is a serous grade. 5,000 in just 12 miles will test any truck!!!!! The result was she climbed it in second gear 35-40 mph @ 4000 rpm and had plenty of reserve power if need be. The down side was the tranny temp reached 210 but still had a few degrees to go. I will be adding a larger ex-trans cooler the stock one is small. So in summary the 6.0 is a fine motor and can handle most roads out west here. The only one she struggled on Hwy 190 is rare. I was looking at switching to a Duramax but we have decided to keep this truck for 1-2 more years. We will switch to diesel truck (Chevy Duramax) mainly because we will be going to a bigger Fifth wheel and would be to much for this truck, But over all I love my 6.0 gasser Silverado. I hope this real life evaluation will help.
Wife and tucker the fishing dog
starcraft69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:16 AM   #40

Congrats on your purchase. I really like the interior of the GM HD trucks!

Tags
2500, gas, tow vehicle