Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-16-2016, 01:40 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South Texas
Posts: 4,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1971 View Post
Interesting thread.....I am a proud but not so lately happy owner of a Duramax 2500. I can say that Duramax will pull anything and at 140K, still has the power it had when new. Trouble is, its starting to nickel and dime (actually a lot more than nickels and dimes) me to death. $1900.00 for a new computer, $350.00 for a injector harness, and it is in the shop today awaiting a $1000.00 water pump. 400 for the pump itself and 600 labor to get to the thing. The engine is no problem at all, just the components. I am now looking at a 6.0 since my RV'ing is mostly weekends and within 120 miles of home base. If the DW would ever agree and we could take cross country trips, etc. I would be in the market for a 2016 Duramax, but feel the 6.0 is the smart choice for my current situation. My 5er is 8000 lbs.
Still letting the Chevy dealer work on it, which is likely a reason the repairs are so high, but they do them right.
That's one thing I've been curious about with diesels. My neighbors both sold their gas tow vehicles and bought used Cummins powered Dodge 2500s with high miles (at around the same time too, it was only a little weird). I talked to them both (separately) about it and they both touted how many miles a diesel engine will go. "That's a 1/2 million mile engine right there" they'd say. I couldn't help but think to myself "yeah, that's great, but what about the rest of the truck?" From the axles and suspension all the way to the seats, that truck still has 1XX,000 miles, and almost a decade (or more) of hard service. The engine might be great (assuming it was taken care of), but you're going to have to plop down some real dollars to fix up the rest of the truck...

I've just always been curious about that mentality with regards to older diesel trucks...
__________________

__________________


2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:51 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: winnipeg
Posts: 255
I totally agree Camper Bob! I have a co-worker who just bought an early 2000 diesel and he's telling me that going gas is a bad idea, that I should buy an older diesel for the same price as the new gas. I'd love to have the extra torque that these new diesels have but I really wonder how much better a 2002 would pull compared to mine. Not to mention the problems ($$$) that could come up with a 15 year old truck.
__________________

canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:15 PM   #23
Site Team
 
dg1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: West Texas
Posts: 2,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
The engine might be great (assuming it was taken care of), but you're going to have to plop down some real dollars to fix up the rest of the truck...
Camper Bob, this is whats becoming a concern to me as my 2005 Chevy becomes older. The tech said the computer that fried could have gone out at 20,000 miles, or never. The water pump is something that will eventually wear out, as well other components. I also believe my Duramax will go 500K w/o problems with the maintenance practices I follow but I am beginning to believe the components will in fact deteriorate little by little in the future. I hate monthly payments but am finding out that I am still dishing out $$$ at unexpected times so now I have to decide if I pay the dealer's service department or the bank and drive one with a new truck warranty and let General Motors fix the incidentals if they occur.
__________________
Dan
2016 Chevy LTZ - Duramax/Allison
2008 Eagle 30.5BHS
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:03 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Southeast TN
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1971 View Post
Interesting thread.....I am a proud but not so lately happy owner of a Duramax 2500. I can say that Duramax will pull anything and at 140K, still has the power it had when new. Trouble is, its starting to nickel and dime (actually a lot more than nickels and dimes) me to death. $1900.00 for a new computer, $350.00 for a injector harness, and it is in the shop today awaiting a $1000.00 water pump. 400 for the pump itself and 600 labor to get to the thing. The engine is no problem at all, just the components. I am now looking at a 6.0 since my RV'ing is mostly weekends and within 120 miles of home base. If the DW would ever agree and we could take cross country trips, etc. I would be in the market for a 2016 Duramax, but feel the 6.0 is the smart choice for my current situation. My 5er is 8000 lbs.
Still letting the Chevy dealer work on it, which is likely a reason the repairs are so high, but they do them right.
This is the exact reason we went with gas service trucks this time. When a diesel breaks, its always expensive. Granted our 10 year old diesels were paid for, but when your spending 2 to almost 6 thousand on them every 6 months, it starts to get old. Also figure in the down time, hassle of swapping tools and getting the truck to the shop and back, and it gets even older.

My opinion isnt worth much, but I firmly believe that unless you tow much over 10k or tow weekly, that gas is the cheaper way to go.....unless you just want a diesel.
__________________
2013 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins
2014 Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:43 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Camping Couple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Kalamazoo
Posts: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
BTDT. You'll definitely like not having to worry so much about your truck. I know the feeling of watching that trans temp tick up too. My Ram trans temp has never been over 175, and that was actually high. Usually it hovers right around 168-170 no matter what I'm doing.
Trans temp on our 2500HD got as high as 185 for a short period on the way back from South Dakota. It was 97 Deg with a heat index of 110deg that day though and we were climbing those long hills on I-90. I got a little nervous but this truck had the oil coolers to keep things happy.
__________________

2015 Jayco 24FBS Elite Jay Flight
2013 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4X4 6.0L 3.73 Axle
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller
Equal-i-zer Hitch 10k/1000
Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:39 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Swinepartner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Zebulon
Posts: 169
I'm interested in this thread also. We don't have any plans to upgrade our trailer for a while, and even then, the fivers I'm looking at are in the 13K, which is at the upper end of the 6.0/6.4 w/ 4:10. Our issue that we put 30K-40K miles a year on it and that's where the MPH of a diesel comes into play. Decisions...decisions.
__________________
Kevin "Corndog" Cameron
2016 Ram 2500 CTD TRADESMAN
2015 Jayflight 28BHBE
Swinepartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:14 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South Texas
Posts: 4,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
This is the exact reason we went with gas service trucks this time. When a diesel breaks, its always expensive. Granted our 10 year old diesels were paid for, but when your spending 2 to almost 6 thousand on them every 6 months, it starts to get old. Also figure in the down time, hassle of swapping tools and getting the truck to the shop and back, and it gets even older.

My opinion isnt worth much, but I firmly believe that unless you tow much over 10k or tow weekly, that gas is the cheaper way to go.....unless you just want a diesel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swinepartner View Post
I'm interested in this thread also. We don't have any plans to upgrade our trailer for a while, and even then, the fivers I'm looking at are in the 13K, which is at the upper end of the 6.0/6.4 w/ 4:10. Our issue that we put 30K-40K miles a year on it and that's where the MPH of a diesel comes into play. Decisions...decisions.
Both good points and play right into why I bought gas instead of diesel (not counting the money). I put about 12K miles on my truck every year, and my trailer maxes out at 9250 lbs (and we've never had it even close to that heavy), so it just didn't make any sense in my situation. Sure, a diesel would be nice to have, especially if money were no object, but I just couldn't justify it.
__________________


2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:42 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lander, Wyoming
Posts: 588
I'll probably get in trouble for posting this, but we have had diesels since 2002 because of the towing we do. Since 1993, we have towed our FW, and any boat we have owned, behind our pickups. When we first started, we had an old 350 and then stepped up to a 454, one a lemon and one that was good. Then in 2002 we got our first diesel. Used them all as daily drivers and the diesel was about 40% better unloaded and 50% better loaded than the gas engines. We now have a Jayco HT 26.5 RLS and a 19' Crestliner that we tow and I just don't know if a 6.0 or 6.4 gasser would do the job near as efficiently as the diesel. Also don't know if the 6.0 or 6.4 would be maxed out for towing capacity with both the boat and FW in tow but I know it is not with the diesel. Being retired we don't put a lot of miles on our vehicles, less than 10,000 per year so hopefully we won't get to the stage of replacing things. By the way, isn't it possible for a gas engine computer or water pump to go out on a gasser like it does on a diesel?
__________________
2012 GMC 2500HD D/A Crewcab
2012 Jayco Eagle SuperLite HT 26.5 RLS
2009 Crestliner Superhawk 1900
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:36 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Mid-Mi
Posts: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
My '02' 2500HD 6.0L gasser has been a great TV thus far, but it's time for an upgrade.

Been leaning toward a new one-ton diesel for the last couple of years......., but decided recently to order a new Silverado 2500HD 6.0L gasser this spring, basically a new-updated version of what I have now.

Don't have any plans of getting into the 5th wheel market, but maybe a "little" bigger TT in the future and that will be well within the capability of the new 6.0L gasser.

Bob
Bob,

Even if you will be within the limits of a 2500HD 6.0, if you are going to factory order a truck, price out the exact same 3500HD SRW as a 2500HD.... Not sure if it's the same now or not, but for the '13 and '14 models the 3500HD was actually CHEAPER by a few hundred dollars!!! Reason being is some options on the 2500HD like the hitch package, and tow mirrors were standard on the 3500HD...

Good luck!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
need-a-vacation makes a good point about the 6-spd transmissions; they do make a difference. So if the older trucks are still pulling strong with a 4-spd, the 6-spd can only make things even better. Right? Proven motor, proven drive-train, all good things IMO.

I will have to see if I still have a chart one of the forum members on Articles - GM-Trucks.com - The Ultimate GM Truck and SUV Community - GM-Trucks.com made up comparing the 4spd trans to the 6spd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Couple View Post
Trans temp on our 2500HD got as high as 185 for a short period on the way back from South Dakota. It was 97 Deg with a heat index of 110deg that day though and we were climbing those long hills on I-90. I got a little nervous but this truck had the oil coolers to keep things happy.
It seems when things are working as they should the trans usually will be about 100* above ambient temp, but not much more unless in some severe sto & go... I knwo our trans temp will climb to about that even here in Mi when we get into some stop & go, but once rolling again drops some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swinepartner View Post
I'm interested in this thread also. We don't have any plans to upgrade our trailer for a while, and even then, the fivers I'm looking at are in the 13K, which is at the upper end of the 6.0/6.4 w/ 4:10. Our issue that we put 30K-40K miles a year on it and that's where the MPH of a diesel comes into play. Decisions...decisions.
Is the 13K the gvwr of the 5ver's, or the dry weights? If dry, chances are you will be going to an oil burner.. The 6.4/4.10 combo is rated up to 15k (ish)lbs (somewhere in that range, but the 6.0/4.10 is 13,500lbs (I think). BUT, if gvwr is 13k, then, I don't see why either would work. The 6.4 combo may be a slightly better choice though. UNLESS GM gets the 6.0 replacement out before you buy! We can only speculate about that though at this point, unless someone has heard some reliable sources???!!! Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jal0710 View Post
We now have a Jayco HT 26.5 RLS and a 19' Crestliner that we tow and I just don't know if a 6.0 or 6.4 gasser would do the job near as efficiently as the diesel. Also don't know if the 6.0 or 6.4 would be maxed out for towing capacity with both the boat and FW in tow but I know it is not with the diesel. Being retired we don't put a lot of miles on our vehicles, less than 10,000 per year so hopefully we won't get to the stage of replacing things. By the way, isn't it possible for a gas engine computer or water pump to go out on a gasser like it does on a diesel?
How much does your combo weigh? Where all do you travel? Possible a gas 6.0/6.4 would work, but depends on a few factors as you know.

Things will wear out on a gas motor truck as well. I think it is more of the stereo type of a diesel going strong for 500K miles+++. But the body, rest/(or) most of the drivetrain, electronics, etc all are the same as a gas motor truck. And start to nickel and dime the owner once the miles get "up there". Chances are a gas motored truck has already been traded/sold off for a newer model.
__________________
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:49 PM   #30
Site Team
 
dg1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: West Texas
Posts: 2,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by jal0710 View Post
By the way, isn't it possible for a gas engine computer or water pump to go out on a gasser like it does on a diesel?

Yes it is possible, and as it gets older, probable. I think the biggest thing between a diesel and a gasser is the labor costs to get to the component. I haven't looked at the positioning of a water pump on a gasser so I don't know how hard it would be to get to it, but they just about had to pull everything from the grill back to the block to get to my pump. You cannot even see the pump on my truck without putting it on a lift and removing a skid plate off the bottom of the radiator. It's just the way the diesel with all the unique components, lines and the general configuration of the block differs from the gasser. The cost of the pump was high but not unreasonable, but the labor costs.....wow.
__________________

__________________
Dan
2016 Chevy LTZ - Duramax/Allison
2008 Eagle 30.5BHS
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2500, gas, tow vehicle

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.