Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-15-2016, 12:55 PM   #1

Gas 2500

So I bought a new TV. A 2015 Sierra 2500 6.0L. I can't wait to give it a workout but I have to wait till May here before it warms up enough to go camping. Ever since I bought the truck I can't stop reading reviews about what people think about the 6L tow experience. It's driving me crazy. I got a great deal (as good as it gets buying new) on the truck but reading so many negative things makes me wonder if I made the wrong choice. Any input by someone who has towed with these guys would be great. Thanks
canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:13 PM   #2
Site Team

I can't speak for myself, but my father-in-law has towed his 30' fifth for eight years, with his 2007 GMC 3/4 ton extended cab, 8' box 2WD without any problems. He's been all over, and towed to Florida many times for the winter. I guess it depends on how large and heavy a unit you want to tow. I wouldn't expect any concerns with it, as long as you stay within (not at or above) it's limits. Happy travels!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:27 PM   #3

I have been towing our 28BHBE with a Silverado 3500HD XC SRW LB 6.0L for the last 2 years. It tows great, no lack of power on hills at all in the mountains here in BC. It also hauls our camper with no issues. with the camper we do run a little over GVW, but I added Supersprings to take care of the rear squat with the camper. Have had the truck since April of "08. (its an "07 model). it hauls or tows only. it is not a daily driver. We average 9MPG towing the TT (8800lbs loaded) and 13MPG hauling the camper. (scaled at approx 11000lbs) No issues at all. As you can see from sig we have an Andersen hitch and have never had a sway issue either. Hope this helps... Happy Camping
Andersen Hitch.
'07 Northern Lite 10-2RR Camper.
SuperSprings.
Northern Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:29 PM   #4

My dad owns an older one (2002?) And absolutely adores it. He tried to convince me to get one when I was in the market, but it didn't work out. I went to the "dark" side and got a Ram.

My neighbor towed his 5er with one for years and never had a complaint. He eventually moved up to an older Dodge diesel recently. IIRC, he had well over 100K on the clock when he sold it.

Just curious; what kinds of complaints are you seeing? That truck combo has been around for a LONG time, LOTS of happy customers out on the roads I would think.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:46 PM   #5

It all depends on what your towing.

I had a 2004 2500HD w/ 6.0 and pulled an Octane T26Y Toyhauler. Loaded I suppose I was around 9K lbs. It pulled fine to 60 MPH anything over and any kind of incline it had some trouble maintaining speed. MPG towing this load averaged about 5.
I upgraded to a 2015 2500HD Duramax. I'll never go back to a gasser but then again my service costs are going to be more.
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:51 PM   #6

Congrats on the new truck!!!

I also am wondering what the negatives are you have read. My only complaint with our '13, which has the same exact running gear as your new truck, is fuel mileage could be a little better unloaded. But it is a beast! Tows our ~9200lb 32 BHDS without any issues here in Mi. And that does include going up north where we do have hills! Lol

I know some have complained about being slow off the line (including unloaded), but that is more of an electronically controlled nanny computer issue than the actual motor not having any guts..... In another thread I posted that by my seat of the pants feel, it is faster off the line by "rolling" on the throttle than just putting the pedal to the floor.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 02:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Congrats on the new truck!!!
Thanks! I love the truck and hope it serves me well!
Old 02-15-2016, 02:06 PM   #8

The thing about comparing an older version of the 6.0 with a 4spd trans (even the older 1500 5.3/ 4spd) to the newer trucks with the 6spd trans is a night and day difference.

Yes, the motor still needs to rev some depending on the towed weight and the hill, but with ~9200lbs in tow going to Northern Mi we have had no trouble maintaining speed. Let the trans drop a couple gears and the motor rev and away we go!!!

Old 02-15-2016, 02:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiankid View Post
Thanks! I love the truck and hope it serves me well!
YW!!! GM did a great job imo on the interior of the new trucks!!!

Old 02-15-2016, 02:07 PM   #10

I guess I should have added more info to my original post. I tow a 29qbs, approx 7800lbs loaded. Might be more this year cause I'll be less worried about weight. Towed with a 1500 last year and tried hard not to over load it!

Most of the complaints I read where about it being underpowered and terrible on fuel. I knew the fuel would be bad but sure hoped it would pull strong! Would have loved to get a diesel but couldn't justify the extra$$ for the amount I tow. Thanks for all the replies. I love hearing real life experiences rather then some troll being negative in a random thread.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:24 PM   #11

MPG: it does seem from what the Ram 6.4 owners are reporting that the 6.0 is lacking there.

But power wise, I guess I don't see it IF it's a truck newer than '08(I think is when the 6spd trans came out???)... Maybe if you are towing heavy a lot in the mountains, but your truck is rated for.... 13,XXXlbs. I think you will be surprised how well it does towing ~8500lbs as long as you let the motor breath (rev) when needed!!!

Old 02-15-2016, 02:42 PM   #12

I think you'll be fine if you dont mind to see the tach around 4 grand at times.

Last week we got 2 new leftover 2015 3500 drw with utility box beds and the 6.0 vortec....at a very good price(main reason for getting them). I pulled 2 different loads with them thursday and friday. One was about 9k trailer and mini excavator other was about 11k vacuum excavator with 500 gallons of mud onboard. Pulled both fine, but could tell a difference with the extra 2000lb vacuum.

First impressions, they aren't a diesel and wont ever tow with one.
They pull fine if you dont mind reving the engine about 4k on hills.
Tow haul works awesome and the up and down shifts are near perfect RPM. A+ on the transmission tune Chevy!
Dont get in a hurry to take off from a dead stop loaded.
They do like gas when you get them loaded.

The 6.0 vortec is the oldest most proven engine of the other 2 HD gassers. Its also the most simplest imo.

Im very happy with the 2 we got. They will only tow that load 2-3 times a month. The rest of the time they are just used to haul a work crew and tools around. If we were towing 10k+ on a regular basis, we woulda got diesels again.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:08 PM   #13

need-a-vacation makes a good point about the 6-spd transmissions; they do make a difference. So if the older trucks are still pulling strong with a 4-spd, the 6-spd can only make things even better. Right? Proven motor, proven drive-train, all good things IMO.

Yeah, it's thirsty. My Ram 6.4 is thirsty too. Mine might do a little better unloaded, but loaded, they're probably about the same. The Ram has a slight advantage in that the power peaks at a lower RPM, but the numbers (HP & Torque) are actually pretty close IIRC. As far as lacking power, I haven't heard many first hand complaints about the 6.0 Vortec from people towing within capacity. The only complaint I have heard was from my neighbor towing his 5er in the mountains. He didn't like it revving (common for a gas motor) and said it felt a little anemic on the severe inclines. But again, it was an old truck with a lot of hard miles, and he was trying to keep up with a Cummins powered Dodge at the time.

No, I think at the weights you're talking about, it's a fine truck. I've always been fond of GM trucks, and would've bought one if the deal had worked out. I also use my truck a lot unloaded, so the MDS in my Ram helps eek out a little more fuel economy.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 02-15-2016, 03:21 PM   #14
Site Team

For sure they are not speed or power demons, but they will do the job. And as for longevity, take heart. I know several commercial fisherman that have over 300K miles on their older 6.0`s and still going strong. My mileage towing averages around 9. Not towing around 13 in mixed driving. That`s with the old 300hp and 4 spd tranny. As mentioned now its 360 hp and a 6 spd.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:50 PM   #15

Thanks again everyone! It's always nice to hear from people who have been there done that! I appreciate the info.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:28 PM   #16

Quote:
So I bought a new TV. A 2015 Sierra 2500 6.0L. I can't wait to give it a workout but I have to wait till May here before it warms up enough to go camping. Ever since I bought the truck I can't stop reading reviews about what people think about the 6L tow experience. It's driving me crazy. I got a great deal (as good as it gets buying new) on the truck but reading so many negative things makes me wonder if I made the wrong choice. Any input by someone who has towed with these guys would be great. Thanks
We towed our 24FBS out to South Dakota last summer. It was awesome. Maybe a little overkill for our trailer but I got it for possible future TT upgrade. Don't pay too much attention to the reviews. Just get some towing experience with the 6L and develop your own opinion. I think you'll be happy.

Now.....Let me prepare you for the gas mileage while towing. Best gas mileage we got the entire trip out and back was 8.2MPG. Thankfully gas prices weren't over $3.00/gal.

Congrats on the new truck!!
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:34 PM   #17

Thanks couple! I'm not to worried about what the gas mileage does cause I was pulling it with my 5.3L last year and I don't think it'll be much worse. At least I won't have the worry I did, staring at my transmission temp for the entire ride stressing about every degree it rose. Having to pick and choose what to bring, knowing that every additional item is more weight I'm over!
Old 02-16-2016, 09:42 AM   #18

Quote:
Thanks couple! I'm not to worried about what the gas mileage does cause I was pulling it with my 5.3L last year and I don't think it'll be much worse. At least I won't have the worry I did, staring at my transmission temp for the entire ride stressing about every degree it rose. Having to pick and choose what to bring, knowing that every additional item is more weight I'm over!
BTDT. You'll definitely like not having to worry so much about your truck. I know the feeling of watching that trans temp tick up too. My Ram trans temp has never been over 175, and that was actually high. Usually it hovers right around 168-170 no matter what I'm doing.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 02-16-2016, 11:08 AM   #19

Interesting thread.....I am a proud but not so lately happy owner of a Duramax 2500. I can say that Duramax will pull anything and at 140K, still has the power it had when new. Trouble is, its starting to nickel and dime (actually a lot more than nickels and dimes) me to death. $1900.00 for a new computer, $350.00 for a injector harness, and it is in the shop today awaiting a $1000.00 water pump. 400 for the pump itself and 600 labor to get to the thing. The engine is no problem at all, just the components. I am now looking at a 6.0 since my RV'ing is mostly weekends and within 120 miles of home base. If the DW would ever agree and we could take cross country trips, etc. I would be in the market for a 2016 Duramax, but feel the 6.0 is the smart choice for my current situation. My 5er is 8000 lbs.
Still letting the Chevy dealer work on it, which is likely a reason the repairs are so high, but they do them right.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:44 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

My '02' 2500HD 6.0L gasser has been a great TV thus far, but it's time for an upgrade.

Been leaning toward a new one-ton diesel for the last couple of years......., but decided recently to order a new Silverado 2500HD 6.0L gasser this spring, basically a new-updated version of what I have now.

Don't have any plans of getting into the 5th wheel market, but maybe a "little" bigger TT in the future and that will be well within the capability of the new 6.0L gasser.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2500, gas, tow vehicle