Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-08-2018, 12:16 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyDad View Post
There are very few benefits to a 250/2500 vs a 350/3500 unless your state happens to treat them different for taxes or tags. I'm not a fifth wheel guy, but it seems like the most common issue is always payload. Let's face it, most of us have trailers because we like to bring a lot of gear, toys and beer with us, and all of that stuff has significant weight.

"lightly used" trucks seem to be within about 5% of the price of new around here unless you happen to find a very rare deal. It's hard to talk yourself into buying a truck someone else didn't love when for "just a little more" you can have brand new, with full warranty.

Diesel vs gas has been beat to death. But gas engine trucks usually have higher payload capacity because the engine is lighter. Plus always cheaper to buy. If it was me, choosing between a two year old diesel or a brand new gas truck, I'd get gas all the way.

Happy hunting.
I agree with Grumpy.. the whole Gas vs. Diesel conversation goes on for days sometimes! My 15' F-150 EB XLT was around 40K new. I traded up for a 17' F-250 and got that for 42K. Now payload is no longer an issue and I can haul my 5'r around all day without a problem. I did compare some specs and the only real difference between the F-250 and F-350 was more suspension. My old F-150 felt like a Caddy compared to the SuperDuty but I'm ok with that. Bottom line: no matter what vehicle you buy... generally the heavier it is, the less payload you have to work with.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:26 AM   #22

How do you determine the gear ratio on the F series? I assume GM still uses the RPO codes listed on the glovebox sticker. I wish more dealers would include a pic of the option and payload stickers when they list their vehicles online.

Also, can anyone tell me if their insurance premium when up significantly when they switched from a steel body to an aluminum Super Duty?
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:36 AM   #23

The 6.2 has awesome power compared to the chevy 6.0 I traded. Having owned two chevys with 6.0 4.10, and now moving to the 6.2 with 4.30s its almost night and day difference.

The 6.2 with 4.30s compares in power to a diesel from 15 years ago. It will pull anything an early powerstroke or duramax would and in a lot of cases a SRW truck will be rated to pull and carry more than the old duallys.

2017 F250 CCLB 6.2 4.30 gears
2500hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:42 AM   #24

New 2017 f 250

I opted for gas, I don't put a lot of miles on it, with the 430 gears I go up and down the hills fine, no I haven't seen any difference in my insurance rates, Payload is higher and I opted for 2 WD I don't do off road, but that's me, just more to go wrong and $$$$, I averaged 9.5 mpg pulling 28.5 RSTS through the smokies
sobuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:46 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
How do you determine the gear ratio on the F series? I assume GM still uses the RPO codes listed on the glovebox sticker. I wish more dealers would include a pic of the option and payload stickers when they list their vehicles online.

Also, can anyone tell me if their insurance premium when up significantly when they switched from a steel body to an aluminum Super Duty?
There is a label on the driver side door jamb with vehicle information. Look for Axle Code. 4L or 4M would be 4.30 LS or Electronic Locking, respectively.

Good luck finding a 6.2 with 4.30s on a dealer lot. They are rare.
Shall36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:13 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shall36 View Post
There is a label on the driver side door jamb with vehicle information. Look for Axle Code. 4L or 4M would be 4.30 LS or Electronic Locking, respectively.

Yes after my internet lot shopping and looking at window stickers my conclusion is you would have to order one with the 430 gear which just about eliminates finding a left over or great deal on one. Most of them I looked at had the 3.73 and that was listed as an option.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:48 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shall36 View Post

Yeah, I'm not seeing any in the used car listings. If you want a white Super Duty, they are very plentiful. Not my favorite choice in color as it reminds me of our fleet trucks where I work.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:13 PM   #28

I own a ram 3500 DRW with the Aisin trans 4:10 And i know i can haul just about anything out there and I do pull a 17000 lbs SOB. But its not about if you can pull it. Its about if you can control it and stop it when you need to. You can never have too big of a truck.
eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:53 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleback View Post
You can never have too big of a truck.
In theory, you are 100% correct. And, in your case of pulling something that weighs 17K, I wouldn't want anything less.

There is a point however where the biggest and most capable begins to limit practicality for some. What is nice about the current offering of trucks on the market in 2018 is that the owner can choose from any number of configurations of tow vehicles that not only will safely tow their RV but also work within the everyday needs of the individual.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:01 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
I would but gotta wait until the DW's Camry is paid for. I have actually seen some pretty good deals on leftover 17s when internet window shopping. But it's on the XL work model, not a lot of bells and whistles but I can get by with butt warmed seats and such lol.
My truck has the STX package which is somewhere between the XL and XLT but it has everything I need for towing and not a lot of bells and whistles which I didn't want anyway. Integrated trailer brake control with 3 different power settings, tow-haul, extending tow mirrors, tranny temps, TPMS that actually displays the air pressure in each tire etc. This is also my first vehicle with a backup camera and I absolutely LOVE it because it has zoom in as well. I'm easily impressed with this kind of stuff and not having to get in and out of the truck while hitching up just tickles me pink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Yes after my internet lot shopping and looking at window stickers my conclusion is you would have to order one with the 430 gear which just about eliminates finding a left over or great deal on one. Most of them I looked at had the 3.73 and that was listed as an option.
Towing capacity does increase with the 4.30's but I think the 3.73 is an all around good towing/not towing gear.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:27 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
My truck has the STX package which is somewhere between the XL and XLT but it has everything I need for towing and not a lot of bells and whistles which I didn't want anyway. Integrated trailer brake control with 3 different power settings, tow-haul, extending tow mirrors, tranny temps, TPMS that actually displays the air pressure in each tire etc. This is also my first vehicle with a backup camera and I absolutely LOVE it because it has zoom in as well. I'm easily impressed with this kind of stuff and not having to get in and out of the truck while hitching up just tickles me pink.

Towing capacity does increase with the 4.30's but I think the 3.73 is an all around good towing/not towing gear.
Yes I have seen some nicely equipped XLs as far as practical equipment, with the power group and towing stuff. They also have the vinyl floors which I like in a truck. Carpet is a pain to keep clean. I don't need moon roofs or air conditioned steering wheels lol. Not yet anyways.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:50 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
In theory, you are 100% correct. And, in your case of pulling something that weighs 17K, I wouldn't want anything less.

There is a point however where the biggest and most capable begins to limit practicality for some. What is nice about the current offering of trucks on the market in 2018 is that the owner can choose from any number of configurations of tow vehicles that not only will safely tow their RV but also work within the everyday needs of the individual.
Yes you are correct to the practicality as I'm in the million mile club and i have seen many times tow rigs scattered all over the highway due to the fact that the owner is ether unaware there tow vehicle was under sized, didn't know how to drive or just plain stupid and the "I can tow anything attitude". Its up to the owner and not the dealer to know when you are undersized to tow something and you can be held accountable lawfully and legally. What I'm saying is don't risk your life and the lives of others as I'm saying you cant have a truck to big, stay well with in your weight class. My truck has a tow capacity of 31000 lbs. but i would not want to put a 31000 lbs camper with the high sides on my truck and feel good about it. Flat bed or dump trailer maybe. its a matter of common scene. Its hard to see a family going out for a vacation and then tragedy hits them. You tube has a few examples. some are hard to watch.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:57 PM   #33

Quote:
Yes you are correct to the practicality as I'm in the million mile club and i have seen many times tow rigs scattered all over the highway due to the fact that the owner is ether unaware there tow vehicle was under sized, didn't know how to drive or just plain stupid and the "I can tow anything attitude". Its up to the owner and not the dealer to know when you are undersized to tow something and you can be held accountable lawfully and legally. What I'm saying is don't risk your life and the lives of others as I'm saying you cant have a truck to big, stay well with in your weight class. My truck has a tow capacity of 31000 lbs. but i would not want to put a 31000 lbs camper with the high sides on my truck and feel good about it. Flat bed or dump trailer maybe. its a matter of common scene. Its hard to see a family going out for a vacation and then tragedy hits them. You tube has a few examples. some are hard to watch.
unfortunately even minivans on vacation have terrible accidents not towing anything... as do buses, cars, motorcycles etc...

I still have not seen any data on over loaded trailer crashes anywhere ...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:50 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
unfortunately even minivans on vacation have terrible accidents not towing anything... as do buses, cars, motorcycles etc...

I still have not seen any data on over loaded trailer crashes anywhere ...
Well i guess nothing more to add. We now all need data to validate common scene. People read from the brochures that this truck can tow 10000 lb and they take that literally, so they buy a 10000 trailer. But the fine print says "Properly equipt". Its like the speed limit is 60 so you will get those that drives 60 but the roads are ice. I,m a retired truck driver and I have 2017 Ram 3500 DRW and it states that i can tow 31000 lbs and my 5th wheel weighs over 17000 lb loaded. but I'm not putting 31000 lb camper on this truck. that's over 15 tons and give it a high wall like a camper. You need to move on to the next class because the most Important thing about towing is keeping control and to be able to stop it.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:07 AM   #35

Quote:
Well i guess nothing more to add. We now all need data to validate common scene. People read from the brochures that this truck can tow 10000 lb and they take that literally, so they buy a 10000 trailer. But the fine print says "Properly equipt". Its like the speed limit is 60 so you will get those that drives 60 but the roads are ice. I,m a retired truck driver and I have 2017 Ram 3500 DRW and it states that i can tow 31000 lbs and my 5th wheel weighs over 17000 lb loaded. but I'm not putting 31000 lb camper on this truck. that's over 15 tons and give it a high wall like a camper. You need to move on to the next class because the most Important thing about towing is keeping control and to be able to stop it.
Lots of big rigs are "rated" up to GCVR of 140,000 lbs, would you stay at 50% of that rating too?
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:24 AM   #36

That's it, I am buying a gas powered semi cab and hookin' up my trailer to that!!!
Old 02-12-2018, 09:24 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyDad View Post
Lots of big rigs are "rated" up to GCVR of 140,000 lbs, would you stay at 50% of that rating too?
This is not about professional drivers with commercial equipment and training. were talking about ordinary people with consumer products and staying safe and the two do not compare.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:52 AM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
That's it, I am buying a gas powered semi cab and hookin' up my trailer to that!!!
I was told by a gentleman on another forum that I was a danger on the road because I stated that I was starting to like the blind spot alert and lane departure features on my van. He went on to give me the "I drive more miles in a month than you do in a year" lecture and that "while I was relying on my computer band-aids for bad drivers, he could react faster than the computer with all of his experience." Little did he know that I've had a CDL since the early '90's and well over 2 million miles of experience.

Point is that everyone has a perspective and it's all on good fun. I'm still waiting for his reply to see if he can give me some more driving pointers.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:59 AM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
This is not about professional drivers with commercial equipment and training. were talking about ordinary people with consumer products and staying safe and the two do not compare.
I still understand exactly what you are trying to say and I will continue to agree in theory with what you are trying to get across.....that extra margin of error in setting up your combination can only make things safer in the long run.

However, you need to keep on mind that you have a different background set than many here and it is difficult for each side to fully understand where each other is coming from. No harm or insult intended from either side. Just a desire to participate in RVING safely and enjoyably.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:30 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I was told by a gentleman on another forum that I was a danger on the road because I stated that I was starting to like the blind spot alert and lane departure features on my van. He went on to give me the "I drive more miles in a month than you do in a year" lecture and that "while I was relying on my computer band-aids for bad drivers, he could react faster than the computer with all of his experience." Little did he know that I've had a CDL since the early '90's and well over 2 million miles of experience.

Point is that everyone has a perspective and it's all on good fun. I'm still waiting for his reply to see if he can give me some more driving pointers.
there are so many bad drivers that technology is helping out.. to be honest as a motorcycle rider I like the little dot in the mirror.. will it stop them from changing lanes on me?? absolutely not... that is why you have to drive defensively or fast...

it does no good to have a mirror light while you are facebooking your best friend... or texting the grocery order...

I don't know what the police departments are going to do once the cars get automated... no more tickets for a majority of them... where will the revenue come from? because you won't need all those police anymore... consequences for sure!