Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-22-2014, 10:48 AM   #1

Getting close to ordering 26BH. Can you double check my tow numbers?

Hello,

First time buyer here and doing the research. I have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L Hemi V8 4x4 Limited with the Class IV trailer set up. Here are the vehicle specs:

Towing Capacity: 7200
Tongue: 740
GCWR: 13100
Curb: 5150
Payload: 1150

The 26BH is 4505 unloaded, 445 dry hitch. Do you think I will be ok after loading up my car with my wife and three kids and then loading up the trailer with a weekend's worth of clothes and fluids, etc? I believe the HEMI will tow fine but just want to be safe.

Plan on getting sway and WDH too which will add weight (not sure how much)

All input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

JamesA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:05 AM   #2

Real life weight of that trailer is going to be more than 4500lbs and tongue weight will likely be over 700lbs loaded up, not to mention battery and hitch weight. Your payload is low for a trailer that big, but if you load carefully and only have 2 people in your vehicle you might be ok. Yes you do have the power to move it but I think that payload will be your first issue encountered.

SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:22 AM   #3

Just a heads up. 4505 is the base unloaded weight. Depending on what add-ons you get the weight will increase. Mine is fully loaded and delivery dry weight was 5200lbs. I pull mine with an Expedition with the HD tow package. It pulls fine but is a little weak in the mountains. Seeing as it looks like you are in Florida that shouldn't be a problem for you. You do have to factor in the weight of everything in the vehicle as well so don't forget that. Will it do it.... yes..... Will it feel safe is the big question. My expedition is rated at an 8650lb tow capacity with a max 895lb tongue weight. We try to pack light as well but the 26bh is the max I would pull with it.
jtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
Real life weight of that trailer is going to be more than 4500lbs and tongue weight will likely be over 700lbs loaded up, not to mention battery and hitch weight. Your payload is low for a trailer that big, but if you load carefully and only have 2 people in your vehicle you might be ok. Yes you do have the power to move it but I think that payload will be your first issue encountered.
Thanks for your reply. This is where I am at now:

Payload:

445 Weight dry
100 WDH
210 Me
120 Wife
200 3 kids

= 1075 - 150 for the driver which is calculated in max payload = 925

So that gives me 225lbs of payload weight to wiggle with, correct?
JamesA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:31 AM   #5

With that many people in the vehicle I would be looking for a smaller trailer. Your tongue weight will be much more than 445 even dry, let alone loaded. You will be maxed out if not over with your proposal. My parents have a 26bh and pull it with a maxtow ecoboost with a 1800lb payload.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:23 PM   #6

My '12 26BH tongue weight exceeded 800 after about a year of use...you will keep adding stuff after the initial packing. The trailer ship weight was over 5k lbs and once loaded with minimal water the last weight I got on it was 6200, no where near the 7500 GVWR.

We started using our '04 Tahoe --- it was marginal and with DW, myself, 2 kids and 2 big dogs at the time we were exceeding the Tahoe cargo capacity. The mountains were a real challenge.

At the same time we also owned a '04 Silverado Crewcab. Both had 5.3L, 4speed transmission, and 3.73 rear end. The silverado had more cargo capacity so the dogs went in crates in the back and we used this as the TV for about a year. This was a much better setup, within the limits...but the 4 speed left a lot to be desired in the mountains.

When it was time to replace my truck, I big the bullet and went 2500. Of course we then had kids 3 and was time to move on from the 26BH.

I think your TT weights are way to low for what you will find to be real-life with a 26BH.

Maybe some one who currently has one can share their actual ship and scaled weights so you can better calculate. Or call the dealer and have the take a pic of the yellow sticker with actual ship weight. Published weight is useless.
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:11 PM   #7

I agree that it's probably too much trailer for that Jeep. The Hemi will handle it fine, but you'll be out of payload capacity in a real hurry. I would ignore that empty hitch weight. First, it's only 10% of the unloaded trailer weight, second, it's 10% of unloaded weight. With a trailer that long, you'll want well over the minimum tongue weight or you're begging for sway problems.

Also, IIRC, base payload includes 150lb driver and 1/4 tank of fuel. Also, what gizmos and toys will the kids and DW drag along for the ride? Will you have anything else in the car with the passengers?

I imagine like most smaller SUVs today, the rear suspension will be pretty soft, so the rear end will feel pretty squishy with all that payload which will add to your sway issue. Also, is it equipped with the new air-ride suspension? That could be a factor as well...

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:21 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesA View Post
snip.....Plan on getting sway and WDH too which will add weight (not sure how much).....snip
Welcome to JOF

Your earlier budget of 100lbs will cover both a standard WDH and manual friction sway control device.

As you are hearing the "loaded" tongue weight of the TT is subtracted from the TV's payload capacity because the TV supports the tongue weight. Many vehicles have an attractive Tow Rating, but fall short in payload capacity (critical with heavier tongue weights).

I also agree one should be careful when referencing published UVW's (brochures, web sites, etc.), because with most RV manufactures these UVW's don't reflect the actual "Ship Weight" (UVW).

If you really want to reduce the guess work, take your TV under loaded conditions (full fuel, passengers, cargo) to a CAT scale and weigh it (simple 3 minute process, $9). Subtract the CAT scale weight from the GVWR noted on the driver's door, the remaining weight is what you have available for the WDH and the loaded tongue weight.

As a reference, with a TT length like the 26BH ideally the loaded tongue weight should be 13% to 15% of the TT's gross loaded weight (actual or proposed).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesA View Post
Hello,

First time buyer here and doing the research. I have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L Hemi V8 4x4 Limited with the Class IV trailer set up. Here are the vehicle specs:

Towing Capacity: 7200
Tongue: 740
GCWR: 13100
Curb: 5150
Payload: 1150

The 26BH is 4505 unloaded, 445 dry hitch. Do you think I will be ok after loading up my car with my wife and three kids and then loading up the trailer with a weekend's worth of clothes and fluids, etc? I believe the HEMI will tow fine but just want to be safe.

Plan on getting sway and WDH too which will add weight (not sure how much)

All input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Looking at GCWR, your max gross TT weight can be 7950 (13100-5150). the GVW of your 26BH is 7500, so you are getting close (450# to spare, but OK so far)

your available payload is 1150-TT tongue - passengers. your 26BH at 7500# has a tongue weight of 750# (min), therefore you have 400#(max) avail for passengers and gear. Again, close to max. with a fully loaded TT, you should only have two passengers in your jeep with you, else you will exceed the payload of your jeep.

the less stuff you put in your trailer, the more passengers you can carry in the jeep.

Tim
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:46 AM   #10

Not mentioned that I saw is that your TT is over 29' long. That's quite a bit for a mid sized SUV. I don't know its wheelbase, but I'd want a bigger TV for that TT, especially with all those kids in it. It's a nice car, but limited as a tow vehicle IMO.

cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote