Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-18-2017, 08:28 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
GM Trailering Camera System

Just wondering if anyone has had this system installed on their Silverado/ Sierra HD? Just became available in Canada, received my 1st kit last Tuesday, sold it on Wednesday, waiting for more to arrive. The system is on display this week at the Detroit Auto Show, and from what i am told, is very slick.....

Chevrolet partnered with Echomaster to develop the blind-spot-assist towing package system, which includes three cameras: two side view cameras, and one for mounting on the rear of the customer’s trailer. It is compatible with all 2014-2016 model year Silverado HD trucks, and Silverado 1500 trucks with the available trailer-towing mirrors.

The two side cameras are seamlessly integrated into the housing for the side-view mirrors, for improved vision along the sides of the truck and trailer. When the driver activates the turn signal, the system automatically displays the correlating side view in the center screen.

The rear camera is designed to be mounted to the top, rearmost edge of the trailer, providing a view of what’s behind the trailer when reversing. This camera is hardwired to the trailer lights for electrical power, and wirelessly transmits images to the display using a closed wireless network. It also features infrared lighting, enabling enhanced images in low-light settings.

The Silverado’s rear backup camera is activated when reverse is selected. Pressing and holding the radio Home button for five seconds brings up the camera menu screen to select the trailer camera image.

The trailering camera system will be available for purchase through Chevrolet dealers
Old 01-19-2017, 08:06 PM   #2

I checked into that system for my 2016 3500, dealer wanted $1200 to install. Might look into it after getting our new 5th wheel.
oh355mbqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 05:39 AM   #3

Saw them in action yesterday ..... a must for those pulling those big rigs. Cameras come on seamlessly when turn signals go on, plus back-up cam on back of trailer is crystal clear.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:28 AM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycojay View Post

The Silverado’s rear backup camera is activated when reverse is selected. Pressing and holding the radio Home button for five seconds brings up the camera menu screen to select the trailer camera image.
Sounds interesting. By holding the radio button, can you use it while travelling for lane changes ? i.e. is the rear camera a high speed camera ?
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:39 AM   #5

I would think not ..... the last thing the General wants is to have you take your eyes off the road when driving ( like a GPS can't be programmed etc when vehicle is moving)
Old 02-08-2017, 06:19 AM   #6

From what I have read, the cameras on the bottom of the mirrors come on automatically when the turn signals are used so you can look down the side of the trailer before making a lane change. I believe the wireless camera can also be accessed while driving, the scenario was using it in the bed of the truck to make sure cargo was still riding safely. I'm pretty certain Ford has had all of this technology for several years.
oh355mbqs is offline   Reply With Quote