Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-18-2012, 08:37 PM   #1

GM warranty on Chevy Cruze as a Toad

This may be old news, but just read in a recent issue of Good Sam Highways mag that someone bought a Chevy Cruze to use as a Toad behind their motor home, specifically because GM said right in the owners manual that it could be flat towed (on all four wheels). Some time after buying it, and making sure the dealer knew that flat towing was the main reason for buying, GM decided that flat towing this vehicle could cause transmission damage, and announced that it would not warranty any damage resulting from flat towing. Assuming that the article I read in Highways was accurate, IMHO, this is pretty low down and totally unfair on the part of GM. They should step up to the plate and continue to honor the original warranty to those who already own this vehicle. But then again, I have had prior experience with GM refusing to honor their warranty on a technicality just because I was 2,000 miles away from my home dealer, so this is apparently another failure to be fair to customers. My bad experience is the reason I am now a dedicated Ford man. Just wanted to pass this Cruze issue on for the benefit of anyone considering buying one.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:52 AM   #2

Can you provide links to the above information? I believe that if you search, you will find that your dedicated F*** brand has also changed the designation on vehicles also.

Dad of Four Girls
2011 Silverado CC 2500HD
2011 Jayflight G2 32BHDS
Dadof4Girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:51 AM   #3

This article was published in the June/July issue of Highways mag. I have no links, but as stated above, I am assuming that the article's author was being accurate, but have no proof. As to changing the designation, I believe you will find that FORD will honor it's original warranty for folks who bought the vehicle before the re-designation, unlike GM.

And as for my own experience with GM warranty, they sold me a new crate engine, which took a cr*p 2000 miles away from home, and had to be replaced. When I got home and applied for warranty compensation, they said I failed to get the written permission of the dealer who sold me the crate engine, to replace it. Therefore warranty void. Didn't matter that the selling dealer had gone out of business by the time the engine failed. BTW, I had all the documentation about the failure (pics, affidavit from mechanics, etc), and GM never disputed that the engine was defective, and was still well under both time and mileage limits. In fact, in my conversation with GM Customer Service rep, I stated to her - "Basically, you are telling me that your warranty is essentially worthless unless I happen to be close enough to the selling dealer to return the engine to him." Her reply - "yes, that's true."

Dadof4Girls, perhaps you can now understand why I will never buy another GM product.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote