Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-06-2014, 09:04 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Iraqvet05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,114
I was getting 16 mpg mixed highway/city in my 26 mile (1 way) commute to work in the 5.3 crew cab I sold recently. I haven't calculated mpg in the 2500hd I just bought. The 2500 has a GT5 PRO code...4.10 gears. We may go camping this weekend....I'll update you on the tow when I do, Camper Bob.
__________________

__________________
2013 26BH w/ 4 plain rims and some rust
2001 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 gasser
Black Bear programmed ECM
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:42 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South Texas
Posts: 4,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
I was getting 16 mpg mixed highway/city in my 26 mile (1 way) commute to work in the 5.3 crew cab I sold recently. I haven't calculated mpg in the 2500hd I just bought. The 2500 has a GT5 PRO code...4.10 gears. We may go camping this weekend....I'll update you on the tow when I do, Camper Bob.
Thanks! I appreciate it!

The deal I mentioned will fall through. We're having a kid soon, and we just don't need to deal with it right now, especially since usage will likely be sparse for the rest of this year and into next year for our busy season. There's no hurry for now; with our short trips on mostly flat land, there's no real rush to get a new truck...

Anyway, as far as mileage goes for the 5.3, I haven't measured it in a while because it was getting kind of depressing, but last time I toggled through the DIC, it said 14.5, but there was some towing mixed in there; I get around 8-9 mpg towing. 16 mixed city/highway is about what I was getting IIRC. Empty hwy mileage is pretty good though.

If we end up keeping this truck to tow with, I'll probably look into getting a Diablo tuner and a Diablew tune... we'll see... The way I see it, I could put a couple grand in the truck to make it better (still never great), or I could pocket that money, deal with what I have, and get a bigger truck later.
__________________

__________________


2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:17 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Redhorse 823's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brandon FL
Posts: 717
Camper Bob,
I made the jump to the 2012 2500 from a 2004 1500.

The 1500 towed ok. As you are aware.
However, I did not want to be limited by weight on the next TT

Could not be happier with the 2500.
Towing is a dream.
The 6.0 L gas runs fantastic.

MPG;
Was getting 16/17 in the 04 and now 12.
All city
With the TT on the 2500

Does the new truck have 48K miles or is that your truck with twice on the 2500?

BL
Go for a 2500, I don't think I will ever go back to a 1500
__________________

Tom
2014 Jay Flight Swift 294 BHS
2012 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L
Redhorse 823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:37 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South Texas
Posts: 4,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhorse 823 View Post
Camper Bob,
I made the jump to the 2012 2500 from a 2004 1500.

The 1500 towed ok. As you are aware.
However, I did not want to be limited by weight on the next TT

Could not be happier with the 2500.
Towing is a dream.
The 6.0 L gas runs fantastic.

MPG;
Was getting 16/17 in the 04 and now 12.
All city
With the TT on the 2500

Does the new truck have 48K miles or is that your truck with twice on the 2500?

BL
Go for a 2500, I don't think I will ever go back to a 1500
You nailed it on the head "I don't want to be limited on weight with my next TT". Though it's not the weight of the trailer I'm concerned about. I'm more worried about bringing more junk along while towing my current trailer (payload). With a baby on the way, our days of packing light are numbered. Me and DW only add about 50 lbs of stuff to our normal load for an average weekend (food, clothes, etc...); just the stroller and pack 'n' play weigh that much!

For now, my truck meets my needs because I don't tow very much, and it's still a daily driver and road-trip truck. I can handle the extra baby weight for now with strategic packing, but I see the writing on the wall. Even still, I'm going to wait a little while for the timing and budget to be better, but once I make that leap, I don't see any reason to go back... at least not any time in the foreseeable future.

The 2500 I was looking at would have had a little more than 2x the mileage of my 1500. Other than being 3/4 ton and the mileage, it would have been the exact same truck (same model year SLE optioned the exact same way, different colors).
__________________


2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:47 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
mcfarmall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kalamazoo, West Michigan
Posts: 1,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post

The 2500 I was looking at would have had a little more than 2x the mileage of my 1500. Other than being 3/4 ton and the mileage, it would have been the exact same truck (same model year SLE optioned the exact same way, different colors).

How many miles are on the 2500?? 48,000 or 96,000.

Based on your previous post, we can't tell if your 1500 has 24,000 or 48,000 miles on it at this time.

The following statement: 'The 2500 has twice the miles of my 1/2 ton (48k) and is equipped with the 6L Vortec gas motor.' can be interpreted either as the 2500 having 48k or the 1500 having 48k.
__________________
2006 23B Hybrid with 10k round bar WDH
2011 F150 4x4 SCREW Ecoboost, Max Tow, Integrated TBC, 3.73 LS axle, Firestone Ride Rite airbags.
mcfarmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:01 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South Texas
Posts: 4,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
How many miles are on the 2500?? 48,000 or 96,000.

Based on your previous post, we can't tell if your 1500 has 24,000 or 48,000 miles on it at this time.

The following statement: 'The 2500 has twice the miles of my 1/2 ton (48k) and is equipped with the 6L Vortec gas motor.' can be interpreted either as the 2500 having 48k or the 1500 having 48k.
Sorry, my 2012 1500 has 20k, the 2012 2500 I was looking at has 48k.
__________________


2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:37 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Redhorse 823's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brandon FL
Posts: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Sorry, my 2012 1500 has 20k, the 2012 2500 I was looking at has 48k.
At 48K miles on the 2500, I would say it is a good deal...
__________________

Tom
2014 Jay Flight Swift 294 BHS
2012 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L
Redhorse 823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:21 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South Texas
Posts: 4,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhorse 823 View Post
At 48K miles on the 2500, I would say it is a good deal...
Definitely a good deal, just not quite right for right now... AND it would take a lot of leg work to make it happen.
__________________


2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:11 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Livinglife2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Olsburg
Posts: 342
Going from a 1500 to a gas 2500 would not be worth the jump if the 1500 does the job for me to do it. My coworker traded her brand new chevy gas 2500 for a 1500 after 6 months, it was a pig on fuel and really rough riding. We had a gas dodge 2500 for 12 years and will never own another gas 2500. We made the leap to a 2500 diesel two years ago and couldn't be happier with it with the plan of getting a larger camper in the future. It has saved us money with twice the gas milage as a daily driver and rides 10x smoother than our gas did. This year we have pulled over 8k miles on trips that we would of never done with our gas 2500 and it pulls our new 5er like its not even back there. The upfront cost difference has been well worth it (the diesel motors slowly loose there value but the gas 2500 are worthless in 10 years) I could of gotten 12k more in trade if my old truck was a diesel. You can find good deals on used low mileage diesel they just don't stay on the lots very long and you have to be ready to jump when you find one.
__________________
2015 Eagle 34.5 BHTS FW
2012 Chevy 2500HD LTZ CC 4x4 DMAX
B&W Companion
TST 507 flow thru

Livinglife2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:03 AM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Covina
Posts: 76
the 6.0 with twice as many miles as you have might be a bad idea....those 6.0 motors are dead at 125k you will start throwing a ton of money at it soon. I would keep what you have and add a few things to help with the power and torque. try cold air intake, tuner, exhaust to name a few....you still have low miles keep it and drive it till you can get a great deal on a Diesel
__________________

Socalken is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.