Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2018, 06:07 AM   #1

Going to try my TV for first time soon. Prep work needed.

We have a short trip coming up in September, about 30 miles to the camp ground, so I want to do some prep work. I need to install my brake controller so I can test it since it is a used item and an older one. A tekonsha 2030 mark 12, I bench tested it and it is working but I will feel better after a road test. Also need to reset my WD hitch since my TV has been lifted slightly, about 2" so I'll need to readjust for that. I have a 1999 K1500 suburban and will be towing our 1989 jayco swan 29' with it. From the weights I found online for this TT I will be close to the TV limit I think. Any other suggestions or advise will be appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170824_170636273_HDR.jpg  
DOUBLETROUBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:48 AM   #2

No real advice, just wanted to say nice looking setup. It looks nice and level from the photo, but you know what it needs. Enjoy the camping.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:40 AM   #3

Something I ALWAYS suggest is inflating your TV and TT tires to the maximum shown on the tire sidewall. This reduces sidewall flex which helps the tires run cooler and can reduce sway tendencies.

Be safe and have a good time.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:43 AM   #4

Hello doubletrouble,

Welcome to the forum.

You might find a sticker in your drivers side door jamb that lists your tv weights and capacities.

A quick search came up with this link with limited specs:

1989 Jayco Travel Trailer/5th Wheel Prices, Values & Specs - NADAguides

I'm sure that you can find more info here on the web.

I love that big window in the front dining area I believe?

Good luck and enjoy!

Jeff.

2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2006 GMC 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
Vasquez Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:24 PM   #5

That big window is next to the dinning table. I like that as well. The rig looks level there but that was before I replaced a broken leaf spring and lifted it 2 inches so I will check the hitch setup before I take her on the road. I have since the picture installed a set of E rated tires. Probably overkill but the tires were free.
Old 07-29-2018, 03:51 PM   #6

Managed to get out and set up the hitch today. She don't sit quite as level as she used to. I dropped the hitch down to the lowest holes possible to compensate but this is the best I could do. I went for a 5 Mile drive to see how everything pulls and it seems fine. No sway or abnormal feeling. I could definitely tell the camper was back there. No overdrive while towing this sucker. Lol
I took a pic today so you could compare before and after (see pic in op) and tell me your thoughts. Thanks, been a long time since I've towed something this big behind a pick up or similar vehicle so just trying to cover all the bases. Brake controller seems to work but sometimes the manual switch didn't want to function. Any thought here as well? Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180729_170609435.jpg  
Old 07-29-2018, 04:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Something I ALWAYS suggest is inflating your TV and TT tires to the maximum shown on the tire sidewall. This reduces sidewall flex which helps the tires run cooler and can reduce sway tendencies.

Be safe and have a good time.
It will also wear out your tires in the center faster, too. And, you have less tire on the surface of the road.

This is why tire manufacturers print inflation charts so you don't over inflate your tires.

If the brake controller is an older one, a new one may be in order. They have made great advances in the last few years.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 04:26 PM   #8

The trailer looks a little nose high in the new photo. I don't know if that would be a problem safety wise but since you're on the bottom hole I'm not sure what you could do about it beyond shifting some weight from the back to the front of the trailer short of getting a new hitch.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 04:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
It will also wear out your tires in the center faster, too. And, you have less tire on the surface of the road.

This is why tire manufacturers print inflation charts so you don't over inflate your tires.

Murff
I was told by a Goodyear tire engineer the same thing OldmanAZ stated. He said yes we issue tire charts as some like a softer ride, but he told me to run the Goodyear Endurance at max psi listed on the tire sidewall, this will give maximum tire performance, a more rigid sidewall which in turn makes the tire run cooler. I have never had a tire wear in the middle due to running at max pressure, sounds like fake news.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 05:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post

If the brake controller is an older one, a new one may be in order. They have made great advances in the last few years.

Murff
Some do agree with you and that may be what your experience is.

In my experience with LT tires on my truck and frequently towing a trailer, as long as you rotate your tires regularly (Discount Tires does mine for free every 5,000mi) you will not have abnormal wear. After ~350,000mi and a number of brands of tires, I never have.

I also believe that inflating to the maximum shown on the sidewall is NOT over inflation. If it was, would the tire manufacturer put it on the side of their tires? However, if you use the inflation charts but do not WEIGH each tire when loaded, then you risk being UNDERINFLATED if the inflation is too little for the tire's load: I know of no one that advocates under inflation.

As I've stated earlier, increasing the inflation stiffens the sidewall so the tire runs cooler and the stiffer sidewall reduces the tendency for sway. There have been folks on this site that stated the higher pressure really improved handling in their situation.

IMO, using the maximum psi shown on the sidewall, there is a possibility for abnormal tire wear. On the other hand, there are immediate benefits in using the maximum psi; reduced possibility of having under inflated tires, cooler running tires, and reduced tenancy for sway issues.

Under inflated tires will wear abnormally, too, but they will be running hotter, more likely to fail, and be more likely to contribute to sway before you notice that wear.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 05:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
The trailer looks a little nose high in the new photo. I don't know if that would be a problem safety wise but since you're on the bottom hole I'm not sure what you could do about it beyond shifting some weight from the back to the front of the trailer short of getting a new hitch.
It is about 2-2.5 inches high from the 21" coupler spec in the TT manual. I don't know if I could just buy the main part to swap my hardware on to or if an entire new set up is required. If it causes any issue I could just remove the 2" lift blocks from the rear and readjust the torsion bars in front to level the truck again. It would be back to where it was in the first pic but with the slightly larger tires that are on there now.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:27 PM   #12

Out of curiosity, I sent the following inquiry to Goodyear regarding inflation:

"Message:

"Hello! Actually a question regarding ST (Special Trailer) Tires. A continuing debate regarding your Endurance brand tires.

"Should one inflate them to the maximum psi on the side of the tire or inflate to the psi on your Endurance Tire Inflation Chart.
Thank you for your time, ..."

Reply from Goodyear:

Thank you for your inquiry through our web site.

The air pressure indicated on the sidewall of each tire is the inflation pressure required to carry the maximum allowable load for that tire.

The PSI listed on the chart represent what each tire should be inflated to to carry the pounds listed.

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

Vanassa F
Consumer Relations

Don't think I will change too many minds.

Murff

P.S. Sorry for the thread hijack.

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote