Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-18-2015, 03:59 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Camper,
Have you visited the CAT Scale yet? I'm a solid believer. When I weighed our first TV/TT I was surprised to learn that I was so close to the Rear GAWR (about 200# shy). With another couple in the back seat I'm pretty sure we were over on the rear axle. Knowing your weights will also help as you shop for the new TV.
Yup! I did that soon after I found out (on here) how to do it and got over my apprehension. I'm within my GAWR in the rear with a little room to spare, but I'm slightly over on GVWR. I haven't weighed it under "worst case" scenario though, so in those circumstances, I could be a couple hundred over GVWR and probably right at GAWR.

I know my weights pretty well. Certainly well enough to know what number I need on that door pillar sticker. It will be the first thing I look at when the salesman opens the door for me. But I have a pretty good idea what that should be for the trucks I'm considering. Pretty much no matter which 3/4T truck I get, I'll be WELL within spec for my loading habits.

I'm looking forward to not having to worry about weight. DW won't have to ask if she can take something along for fear of me worrying about how much it weighs! AND I'm looking forward to having a nice relaxing tow and enjoying the scenery! Probably will get better MPG as well...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:51 PM   #22

Bob, I am awaiting my Ram 2500 MegaCab with the 6.4. I have been researching his truck for months and reading all I can find. I'll post up my review if I have it before you decide. I'd like to say 2 things:

1) the "detune" you are thinking of is not actual. Ram just has to take the HP and Torque readings at a different RPM (lower I believe) to get the ratings. Ram does not limit the engine in any way. I found a quote from Ram (on here I believe) to clear that up. Looks like it is for all Megacabs at the 10,000 GVWR, but don't fear.

2) Don't limit yourself distance wise when looking. I live in Central WV and purchased my F150 from Indianapolis and my Ram from Kernersville, NC. These are high volume sellers and get you a much better price. Also, selling your truck will help get a better deal than trade. I got $4000 more by selling. Your taxes will be higher though.

Just my experience. I have read a lot on talk forums from owners. If you are looking at bed covers, check out diamondback covers. They can hold up to 1600 lbs on top. Give a lot more function to your truck.

Be more than glad to answer any questions you might have, once I get it of course. Last update put the train in GA, which I think means it's at or passed through the Atlanta Vehicle Distribution Facility on its way to Winston-Salem, NC. Hope to have the week before Easter if all goes well
Equalizer 14,000 lb hitch with 12,000 lb ball and arms (sold)
sugarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:45 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarray View Post
Bob, I am awaiting my Ram 2500 MegaCab with the 6.4. I have been researching his truck for months and reading all I can find. I'll post up my review if I have it before you decide. I'd like to say 2 things:

1) the "detune" you are thinking of is not actual. Ram just has to take the HP and Torque readings at a different RPM (lower I believe) to get the ratings. Ram does not limit the engine in any way. I found a quote from Ram (on here I believe) to clear that up. Looks like it is for all Megacabs at the 10,000 GVWR, but don't fear.

2) Don't limit yourself distance wise when looking. I live in Central WV and purchased my F150 from Indianapolis and my Ram from Kernersville, NC. These are high volume sellers and get you a much better price. Also, selling your truck will help get a better deal than trade. I got $4000 more by selling. Your taxes will be higher though.

Just my experience. I have read a lot on talk forums from owners. If you are looking at bed covers, check out diamondback covers. They can hold up to 1600 lbs on top. Give a lot more function to your truck.

Be more than glad to answer any questions you might have, once I get it of course. Last update put the train in GA, which I think means it's at or passed through the Atlanta Vehicle Distribution Facility on its way to Winston-Salem, NC. Hope to have the week before Easter if all goes well
Thanks for the info!! I would love to hear all about your experience!

I've been researching these trucks since they were first released, and will likely be shopping for another few months. I did find a deal near-by that I might have to take though, we'll see. I will be happy if I have my truck before Christmas this year!

I watched a "The Fast Lane Truck" video where they were interviewing a RAM engineer, and he asked that very question about the gas motor. That's where I got that info. Anyway, it's not enough to make a difference for me anyway.

Would you mind telling me how much you paid for yours? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to mention it on the open forum, or not at all.

I've been looking at some high volume dealers around here, but there are definitely deals to be had in other places, and I'm not opposed to making the trip. I'd rather trade my current truck in if I can; the headache and the sales tax are definite considerations. That being said, I'm not afraid to sell it myself if that's what it comes down to.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:32 PM   #24

Why is the 3500 Mega detuned to 370hp? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Found this.

I'll reply in a PM when I can get to my computer and off this phone.
Equalizer 14,000 lb hitch with 12,000 lb ball and arms (sold)
sugarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:27 PM   #25

Congrats...little early as you don't have your new TV yet but heck, hunting is half the fun! Offer still stands if you want to take a look or ride in my Ram 2500.