Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-09-2018, 07:05 PM   #21

My Haulgauge arrived this afternoon and here are my first impression.

I installed the app on my phone and went to install it in the truck. The maker claims thousands of vehicles on record BUT it would not recognize my 2016 Ford F-150 w/5.0L. I had to scan the VIN tag on the door. Then it wanted the GVWR, then max payload from the tire placard on the door sill. And any payload you have added.

It requires driving the truck in a sequence that you follow with your phone. Drive 15mph, then launch at 50% throttle followed by a 100% throttle launch, etc. Get way to get the attention of the local cop, who asked me what I was up to. I explained and he remined me about using a cell phone while driving.

When I completed the calibration, it listed my truck at 5600LB. It scaled about350LB less two weeks ago. I haven't had a chance to hook it up to the trailer. That will have to wait as I'm recovering from surgery earlier this week.

I don't know if I'm impressed with the unit yet. Having to find a straight, low traffic street to calibrate on, then drawing attention at 100% throttle launch (spinning, screaming tires) by the locals brought the cop. No ticket, but not what I would have expected.

I'll update when I test hitch weight, WD weight, etc.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:21 PM   #22

Sounding a lot more complicated, and prone to errors perhaps, than initial impressions indicated. Thanks for checking this out and will look fwd to your further reports.
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:58 AM   #23

I doubt it would be a replacement for scaling the setup.

Would be fine on a trip by trip basis to see if you've deviated much from a known scaled configuration (ie: Cat says X, HD says X*.95 so can use .95 as the factor in the future)

Most people I know haven't scald their setups cause I usually ask when they say their 3/4t tows the 17000# fifth wheel with no problems
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
I doubt it would be a replacement for scaling the setup.

Would be fine on a trip by trip basis to see if you've deviated much from a known scaled configuration (ie: Cat says X, HD says X*.95 so can use .95 as the factor in the future)

Most people I know haven't scald their setups cause I usually ask when they say their 3/4t tows the 17000# fifth wheel with no problems
This is exactly how I plan to use it. I have the Sherwood scale and have been over the CAT scales multiple times so I know where I'm at, but since we're always making changes if I know what the baseline is I can use the Haul Gage to look at how the changes to loading effects things.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:07 PM   #25

Well, here's an update on HaulGauge. Tried it again today and it wanted all the same information (VIN, GVWR, etc) manually entered. Went shopping and tried it a 2nd time today and it recognized and processed my VIN. Apparently it finally hit their server. Processed the information, requested I put the truck on a level road, drive in a straight line at 15 mph and 15 seconds later gave me the truck weight. Now to see how it works hooking up in the next few days.

I still am not sure how well this will work so I'll keep you posted as testing progresses.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:16 AM   #26

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to any further info you gather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifallsguy View Post
Well, here's an update on HaulGauge. Tried it again today and it wanted all the same information (VIN, GVWR, etc) manually entered. Went shopping and tried it a 2nd time today and it recognized and processed my VIN. Apparently it finally hit their server. Processed the information, requested I put the truck on a level road, drive in a straight line at 15 mph and 15 seconds later gave me the truck weight. Now to see how it works hooking up in the next few days.

I still am not sure how well this will work so I'll keep you posted as testing progresses.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:04 PM   #27

Here's the latest update;

I was unsure if HaulGauge remember the truck VIN after sitting for a few days. The app did pick up the VIN when I started the truck, but weight was off. I contacted HaulGauge and had a conversation with Michael Hall about the issue. Michael had several suggestions on how to try to correct the issue. His thought is since I had entered a manual calibration and the OBDII adapter was now located and being used by the app, it may be using the manual calibration which isn't as accurate as the cloud data base. Suggestion were change vehicle, which removes the calibration and let the cloud calibration work or delete the app, reinstall and then use the cloud calibration.

I went with the delete option and reinstalled. The weight came up as 4200LB or 6200lb. (The truck has been weighed at 5300-5320lb). Since HaulGauge can look at the data my truck put up, they are going to be looking at that.

One thing we did talk about is their data for the 2016 F-150 5.0L is for a 4x4, which has a default gear ratio of 3.73. My truck is a 4x2 supercrew with 6.5 ft box and 3.55 gearing. Michael said they will look into it.

I haven't given up on this by a longshot. Even with the issues I've run into, I can see the potential of this product. The ability to get an informed update on changes of the TT while traveling (all those souvenirs we all pile in) is something which can help with loading and balance, plus safety and possibly fuel mileage.

While the WD app isn't up and running yet, it should be out soon. An update to the app should be out shortly and Michael said the tech team really wants customer input on issues. I've beta tested software and real world testing by consumers will always find problems that don't show up during controlled testing.

As I posted before, I am on restricted lifting so I cannot put the WD hitch onto the truck to test for hitch weight for the next few weeks. In the meantime, I will be working with HaulGauge to figure out why my readings are off.

I'll keep posting when there are any new results.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:19 PM   #28

Quote:
Here's the latest update;

I was unsure if HaulGauge remember the truck VIN after sitting for a few days. The app did pick up the VIN when I started the truck, but weight was off. I contacted HaulGauge and had a conversation with Michael Hall about the issue. Michael had several suggestions on how to try to correct the issue. His thought is since I had entered a manual calibration and the OBDII adapter was now located and being used by the app, it may be using the manual calibration which isn't as accurate as the cloud data base. Suggestion were change vehicle, which removes the calibration and let the cloud calibration work or delete the app, reinstall and then use the cloud calibration.

I went with the delete option and reinstalled. The weight came up as 4200LB or 6200lb. (The truck has been weighed at 5300-5320lb). Since HaulGauge can look at the data my truck put up, they are going to be looking at that.

One thing we did talk about is their data for the 2016 F-150 5.0L is for a 4x4, which has a default gear ratio of 3.73. My truck is a 4x2 supercrew with 6.5 ft box and 3.55 gearing. Michael said they will look into it.

I haven't given up on this by a longshot. Even with the issues I've run into, I can see the potential of this product. The ability to get an informed update on changes of the TT while traveling (all those souvenirs we all pile in) is something which can help with loading and balance, plus safety and possibly fuel mileage.

While the WD app isn't up and running yet, it should be out soon. An update to the app should be out shortly and Michael said the tech team really wants customer input on issues. I've beta tested software and real world testing by consumers will always find problems that don't show up during controlled testing.

As I posted before, I am on restricted lifting so I cannot put the WD hitch onto the truck to test for hitch weight for the next few weeks. In the meantime, I will be working with HaulGauge to figure out why my readings are off.

I'll keep posting when there are any new results.
Following your experience with it

Restricted lifting? Hernia op?
Old 11-12-2018, 08:01 PM   #29

Quote:
Following your experience with it

Restricted lifting? Hernia op?
Unfortunately bladder surgery. Issue has been resolved but Dr. Peters (great name for a urologist) wants me limited for about a month. Good excuse for not having to do repairs around in-laws house at Thanksgiving. He's one of those you have to (green side up!) explain which part of hammer you hit with and you don't use a standard screwdriver in a phillip's screw. He once tried to take a broken lightbulb out of a socket with non-insulated pliers. Luckily (green side up!) my then 8 year old step daughter got to the light switch before he got to the socket .
Old 11-13-2018, 06:44 AM   #30

Quote:
Unfortunately bladder surgery. Issue has been resolved but Dr. Peters (great name for a urologist) wants me limited for about a month. Good excuse for not having to do repairs around in-laws house at Thanksgiving. He's one of those you have to (green side up!) explain which part of hammer you hit with and you don't use a standard screwdriver in a phillip's screw. He once tried to take a broken lightbulb out of a socket with non-insulated pliers. Luckily (green side up!) my then 8 year old step daughter got to the light switch before he got to the socket .
Lol, I had a father-in-law like that.

Enjoy the slack time even if it needed an op to get there. I had my 2nd hernia done a yr ago and had to lift <10# for 6 weeks. I think I might have lasted 4.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:46 PM   #31

Quote:
Lol, I had a father-in-law like that.

Enjoy the slack time even if it needed an op to get there. I had my 2nd hernia done a yr ago and had to lift <10# for 6 weeks. I think I might have lasted 4.
Ahhhh, some who understands "green side up"!!
Old 11-14-2018, 08:43 PM   #32

I think I heard the "Green Side Up" story the first time in the late 70's early 80's I have never forgotten. I am following your experience with the haul gauge and very interested in your results. Heal quickly!
1998 HitchHiker II 31 RLBG (Sold 2012)
2002 Ford F350 7.3L Turbo, Crew Cab, DRW, 4:10 (Mint, Garage Queen)
TnHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 04:14 PM   #33

I'm back and an update on my Haulgauge experience.

I've been working with Mike Hall at Haulgauge about the issues I've been having. He had a second unit sent to me to see if the issue was the adapter.

Installed the new adapter and will be taking it out to calibrate tomorrow. It found the truck's VIN when the app started looking for it. I'm waiting until the weekend to calibrate due to rain and a lot of water on the roads. I want to calibrate without excess wheel spin.

I have to say Mike has been great with support. He is working with me to get some of the glitches figured out.

I'll post what the results are of the calibration after I can get it done.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:24 PM   #34

Sounds like you are the beta tester.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:33 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Sounds like you are the beta tester.
Never has been a problem for me. I get to put in ideas and suggestions in the final product.

I was a beta tester for Windows 95, 98, Gmail, among others.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:18 AM   #36

Quote:
Never has been a problem for me. I get to put in ideas and suggestions in the final product.

I did the Windows betas too. Did the VS & VB betas too. Had a whole pile of Chicago CD's at one point. Sold them all to a collector in Australia a few years ago.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:51 AM   #37

Quote:
I did the Windows betas too. Did the VS & VB betas too. Had a whole pile of Chicago CD's at one point. Sold them all to a collector in Australia a few years ago.
Yep, old beta test disks can have some real value. Especially the ones with art on them.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:21 AM   #38

Quote:

Wow, sounds like you're the master beta tester!
Old 12-19-2018, 03:22 PM   #39

Quote:

It's generally not for me either, but unless I missed something, you paid for the product and it's not production ready. I'd do it if the product was supplied to me at no cost, but I would not pay for the "privilege".
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 04:50 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
It's generally not for me either, but unless I missed something, you paid for the product and it's not production ready. I'd do it if the product was supplied to me at no cost, but I would not pay for the "privilege".
Yes, I paid for the product. The company has been going out of it's way to work this out. They have forwarded a second unit and refunded my purchase price, so my working with them has provided me with no cost adapter (except for time and a little fuel). One issue they have is when you install and calibrate, you should have a network connection with your phone. They take the calibration data (and the only time is during calibration) to build their data base. That information is used to fine tune the app. Since this is new with few users, their data base is limited to the vehicles they have run the app/adapter. They have worked with their local dealers, individuals they know with trucks, etc, to build their data base of several hundred vehicles.

I own a 2016 F-150 with 5.0L, 2WD and 3.55 rear end. Their 2016 F-150 is a 3.5L Ecoboost, 4WD and 3.77 read end. They have seen a difference between calibration data from the two trucks. I'm working with them on issues I've had, problems that have been solved and ideas for further additions to the app.

Honestly (and not because they supplied the adapter and refunded my purchase) I see this as something I plan to use when carrying cargo in the bed or loading the TT for a long haul trip. In my case, it is getting better and issues are being worked out.

I will post the latest run I've done with Haulgauge in the next day or two. It has gotten much closer to the actual weight of the truck and cargo. Last run was within 10% and closer to 5%. Just need to take care of some things around the house for she who must be obeyed before I can really sit down and post.