Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-07-2019, 12:37 PM   #41

Got my HaulGage put on yesterday and set it up.

Since my truck isn't in the database I had to manually input the VIN, which was a simple task. From there calibration was very simple and user friendly.

Here's the results, tongue weight was almost dead on and truck weight is very close.

Overall I am really impressed with the results so far. Still have to see how close the payload comes in, but from what I've seen so far I believe it's going to be accurate.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:59 PM   #42

Finally, another update. I've been unable to get time to rerun calibrations due to weather, the holidays and helping out some friends with moving.

Haulgauge has issued an update that were written to deal with some of the issues I was having (poor readings due to wheel spin). The update now has the calibration done at mid-throttle and making sure not to spin the wheels.

First thing was have the truck weighed with my normal load (5530 lbs). Then head over to the parking lot of the college my wife is on faculty to run the calibration (level and wide open during holiday break). The app picked up the adapter and told me to run the calibration (15mph at mid-throttle). AND.....

The app calibrated on the first run. The weight shown was approx. 5800 lbs. I hit the change vehicle to wipe the calibration so I could rerun it to make sure it was reading correctly. Second run as a new vehicle came up with the same result.

So I can honestly say Haulgauge tech support really did provide excellent support. The app is within the 5% (actually about 3.7%) of measured weight.

I've just changed out my cell (from Samsung S7 to Samsung S9) and have recalibrated to the new phone. That calibration is about 5600 lbs, which I would call right on the money (less than 1% error). Rerunning several times came up with the same result.

To 01tundra, yes it does work. Fortunately you were able to work with the latest version of the app, which worked out issues I was seeing.

I recommend anyone interest give it real consideration. I purchased it early and dealt with some of the teething issues. Should you purchase it and have an issue, I highly recommend contacting Haulgauge either by email or phone (business hours MST). They are looking for feedback and issues users are finding. And drop them an email if it works for you without any issues.

One thing to remember is if the truck is not level when you start, any angle from level can affect the weight reading slightly. This is something to keep in mind if you don't have a leveling system (WD hitch, air bags) the pitch change of the vehicle due to tongue weight will alter the orientation of the vehicle body and Haulgauge connector. This can alter the weight reading slightly.

Next I'll be getting the weight for my WD hitch. Mike at Haulgauge suggested the following-After having a calibrated weight in the app and the tow vehicle level:
lower tailgate, select tongue weight, initialize, then sit on the tailgate. See if the app matches your weight. Then go back, pick tongue weight, put the hitch into the receiver and then initialize. That will give you the hitch weight.

To get tongue weight:
Install hitch
Drive tow vehicle into position, with the trailer still unconnected.
Select tongue weight in the app. The app will ask you to initialize.
Lower trailer onto hitch. Read tongue weight.

After this you can drive the weight combination.

Be aware, the WD app will be going live soon, allowing you to find the best setting for the entire setup.

I'll be tied up for the rest of the week so it will be a bit before I report back on seeing how weighing the hitch and then the tongue weight of the trailer works out.

Sorry for the long post, but a lot to cover.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 09:04 AM   #43

I am really enjoying reading this post. I came across Haul Gauge in Trailer Life magazine. I found it on Amazon and put it in my wish list for Santa. I'm going to have to read some more information from the Haul Gauge website. I noticed in one of the posts the gauge only went to 10,000 lbs. How is this going to work for most FW's? Fully loaded, my FW is between 15,500 and 16,000 lbs. Does the screen say "TILT" if you exceed the 10,000 lbs?
RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 12:26 AM   #44

I am keeping my eye out on this one so when I get some extra money I will buy one, thank you for an update.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote