Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-17-2016, 11:06 AM   #1

Help me with scale weights please!!!

Finally made it to scale. Who's going to help me with this?
TV/TT combo=9880
TV only on scale but still hitched to TT =5420
TV only no TT= 4970
Front axle of TV with WDH 2 links hanging free 2980
Front axle of TV no WDH 2540
Front axle of TV with WDH 1 link hanging free 2900
Are you confused? I am!
Bff weighed my tongue with a tongue scale which said 600lbs. Based on these weights at the truck scale I am guessing my tongue did not weigh 600lbs?

Is TT weight the combo minus truck? My WDH spring bars are 750lb rating. Am I distributing enough weight or too much to the front? Help!
BTW this was with only my hubby in the truck. I know I need to add the rest of the family members to the total weight plus the clothes and food.
lukenick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:48 AM   #2
BCK

TW of 600lbs sounds right. The WDH distributes some of the TW to the truck front axle and some back onto the TT axles which will account for the discrepancy you are seeing.

TT weight is the combo minus the truck.

The only way I know of to confirm the correct amount of weight transferred to the front axle is to check when loaded and make sure you are under the front and rear GAWR listed on the inside of the driver's door. You want the spring bars tight enough to take sag out of the TV rear but not so much that you exceed the front GAWR.

Also of note but not often mentioned is that in addition to transferring TW the WDH also transfers some of the payload weight of your TV rear axle back onto the TT axle and forward onto the TV front axle. Spring bars need to be rated a bit higher than the TW to account for this which you have in the 750lb bars.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:58 PM   #3

It sounds like your TT weighs 4910# (9880-4970)
And the TW "may" be 450# (5420-4970) which is about 9%. I say "may" because you don't say if the bars are connected when you got the 5420 number.
Did you also get the rear axle weights (you only mention the front)?
The rear axle is where the bulk of the TW winds up.

BCK is right, you want the bars tight enough to take some of the "squat" out but not so much that you exceed the Front GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating).

You will find the front/rear GAWR numbers on the sticker on the driver's door jamb.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:01 PM   #4

Thank you!
I guess I am good based on this. Still unsure if going with one link hanging free is better than 2? It's a difference of 80lbs.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
It sounds like your TT weighs 4910# (9880-4970)
And the TW "may" be 450# (5420-4970) which is about 9%. I say "may" because you don't say if the bars are connected when you got the 5420 number.
Did you also get the rear axle weights (you only mention the front)?
The rear axle is where the bulk of the TW winds up.

BCK is right, you want the bars tight enough to take some of the "squat" out but not so much that you exceed the Front GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating).

You will find the front/rear GAWR numbers on the sticker on the driver's door jamb.
Yes the bars were connected when I got the 5420lbs. I did not weigh the rear axles.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:07 PM   #6

Redhorse1...why did you use the 4970# and not the 5420# to get the TT weight?
Old 05-17-2016, 09:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenick1 View Post
Using the 4970 (tv only) will give you the total loaded trailer weight, including the tw.

The "net" tw is 450lbs, but remember that is with your wd bars hooked up so your actual ("gross") tw will be higher. With the wd bars hooked up some of the tw is transferred back to the trailer axles. Depending on how your wdh is adjusted, generally none of the tw is transferred to the tv front axle. ONLY the weight that is "lost" from the front axle is reccomended to be returned once the wd bars are hooked up.

Think of a teeter totter:
Your tv only front and rear axles weigh "X" and "Y", but drop the tongue on the ball (no wd bars) and the rear axle weighs more while the front axle weighs less due to the teeter totter effect pivoting on the rear axle. The front axle weight that is "lost" from this is what you want to "return" by hooking up the wd bars. Your owners manual will state how the manufacture recommends the wdh be adjusted and if you should return 100% of the lost weight, or possibly only 50%, or something

While your bff used a scale to get the actual (gross) tw, you could have figured it out if you had weighed at least one more time. Quick side question, did the scale you used to weigh the tv & tt have only one large scale, or was there more than one scale for different axles?

If only one scale, you did get some of the weights needed, but these are all the weights you need to figure everything out without a tongue scale:

TV & TT for the total rig weight
TV only
TV only front axle (or rear, can figure the other as long as you have one)

With the wd bars hooked up:
TV front axle only
TV front and rear axles on scale

With the wd bars unhooked
TV front axle only
TV front and rear axle

Having the tv only front axle gives a base weight to compare to, to see if the wdh is adjusted properly. This is one weight it looks like you are missing.

Also, some wdh manufactures may have a different number of chain links attached to the wd bars, so it is easier to know how many links are under tension (between the wd bar and the snap up bracket) than to say how many links are hanging, as we don't know the total number of chain links your wdh has.

Do you have a CAT Scale near you? That is easier to get all the needed weights as they have 3 seperate scales. Just make sure you stop so the front axle (steer) is on one, the rear axle (drive) is on another, and the tt axles are on the last one.

I think I got all the weights you need to figure everything.

Hope this helps!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Using the 4970 (tv only) will give you the total loaded trailer weight, including the tw.

The "net" tw is 450lbs, but remember that is with your wd bars hooked up so your actual ("gross") tw will be higher. With the wd bars hooked up some of the tw is transferred back to the trailer axles. Depending on how your wdh is adjusted, generally none of the tw is transferred to the tv front axle. ONLY the weight that is "lost" from the front axle is reccomended to be returned once the wd bars are hooked up.

Your tv only front and rear axles weigh "X" and "Y", but drop the tongue on the ball (no wd bars) and the rear axle weighs more while the front axle weighs less due to the teeter totter effect pivoting on the rear axle. The front axle weight that is "lost" from this is what you want to "return" by hooking up the wd bars. Your owners manual will state how the manufacture recommends the wdh be adjusted and if you should return 100% of the lost weight, or possibly only 50%, or something

While your bff used a scale to get the actual (gross) tw, you could have figured it out if you had weighed at least one more time. Quick side question, did the scale you used to weigh the tv & tt have only one large scale, or was there more than one scale for different axles?

If only one scale, you did get some of the weights needed, but these are all the weights you need to figure everything out without a tongue scale:

TV only

TV front axle only

TV front axle only
TV front and rear axle

Having the tv only front axle gives a base weight to compare to, to see if the wdh is adjusted properly. This is one weight it looks like you are missing.

Also, some wdh manufactures may have a different number of chain links attached to the wd bars, so it is easier to know how many links are under tension (between the wd bar and the snap up bracket) than to say how many links are hanging, as we don't know the total number of chain links your wdh has.

Do you have a CAT Scale near you? That is easier to get all the needed weights as they have 3 seperate scales. Just make sure you stop so the front axle (steer) is on one, the rear axle (drive) is on another, and the tt axles are on the last one.

Hope this helps!
Wow, thank you!! Yes you are right it was one long scale only. I will go back with the truck today and weigh just the front axles without trailer. That will be easy, I don't want to go back with the camper again until I am going on a trip. That way I am fully loaded. There is a CAT scale but it's about 45 minutes away from me. The scale I went to is right down the street and it's used to weigh salt trucks. My biggest question is 7 or 8 links under tension? It's a difference of 80lbs being transferred. I guess I will know more once I know my front axle weight alone.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:10 AM   #9

Quote:
If I read your description correctly 9880 is the weight of the whole rig (TT and TV) and 4970 is the TV alone. The difference is the weight of the TT.

I see from your sticker that the Front GAWR is 3160 and the front when loaded is about 2900, so we know you have not over loaded the front.

An estimate of the rear weight is 2520 (5420-2900) which is the TV weight (both axles)minus the front axle weight. Since your Rear GAWR is 3960 it looks like you have around 1400 of cargo remaining in the back.
Keep in mind this is only an estimate.
I also understand that you did not weigh with the whole tribe aboard and the "stuff" you will travel with. These things will make the axle weights go up.
The CAT Scale will give you a more complete picture.
I'm a bit of a nut about weights and I say this frequently but...
The CAT Scale is your friend.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 05-18-2016, 08:18 AM   #10

Quote:
If I read your description correctly 9880 is the weight of the whole rig (TT and TV) and 4970 is the TV alone. The difference is the weight of the TT.

I see from your sticker that the Front GAWR is 3160 and the front when loaded is about 2900, so we know you have not over loaded the front.

An estimate of the rear weight is 2520 (5420-2900) which is the TV weight (both axles)minus the front axle weight. Since your Rear GAWR is 3960 it looks like you have around 1400 of cargo remaining in the back.
Keep in mind this is only an estimate.
I also understand that you did not weigh with the whole tribe aboard and the "stuff" you will travel with. These things will make the axle weights go up.
The CAT Scale will give you a more complete picture.
I'm a bit of a nut about weights and I say this frequently but...
The CAT Scale is your friend.
Thanks! No the whole tribe was not aboard but the 4 of us combined weigh less than 500lbs . Hubby and oldest son both 155, me 110, and youngest son 75lbs. Dog is 10lbs. It is a rare occasion that we all travel together. I usually take my boys alone. Hubby works a lot. In any event, at least I know I still have wiggle room. I don't bring a ton of stuff with us other than clothes, case of bottled water and some pantry items. Oh and maybe the bicycles, but not always. Should I load that stuff into the camper or into the bed of the truck? Seems like I have plenty of extra weight left for the TT. The GVWR for the TT is 5800. Maybe put the water and clothes into the TT and the bikes and pantry items into the TV?
Old 05-18-2016, 08:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Thanks! No the whole tribe was not aboard but the 4 of us combined weigh less than 500lbs . Hubby and oldest son both 155, me 110, and youngest son 75lbs. Dog is 10lbs. It is a rare occasion that we all travel together. I usually take my boys alone. Hubby works a lot. In any event, at least I know I still have wiggle room. I don't bring a ton of stuff with us other than clothes, case of bottled water and some pantry items. Oh and maybe the bicycles, but not always. Should I load that stuff into the camper or into the bed of the truck? Seems like I have plenty of extra weight left for the TT. The GVWR for the TT is 5800. Maybe put the water and clothes into the TT and the bikes and pantry items into the TV?
This is just me but I like to pack things in the TT that will be used there (pantry items). Less to do when we hit the CG

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 05-19-2016, 10:33 AM   #12

Quote:

TV only

TV front axle only

TV front axle only
TV front and rear axle

Hope this helps!
Ok I'm back and weighed the front axle only from the unhitched TV and it was 2900lbs. With that said it looks like with my WDH I am transferring 100% of the weight back to the front axles.

I also weighed the rear axle and that was 2000lbs.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:40 PM   #13

With the rear axle at 2000 unloaded and my earlier estimate of 2520 with the TT hitched it appears the 600# TW might be pretty close.
I'm not familiar with your WDH but I guess the 2 link hanging has the bars tighter than 1 link hanging.
Unloaded your front is 2900 and with 1 link it's still 2900. Sounds like very little weight being xfered to the front. With 2 links and 2980 you've added 80# to the front.
Since you are well below the Rear GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) I'd take a look at the "squat" in the rear of your TV. If it's enough to make the headlights point upwards then a bit more tension in the WDH bars. If the squat is minimal (less than 2") you may be good to go.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 05-19-2016, 04:18 PM   #14

Quote:
With the rear axle at 2000 unloaded and my earlier estimate of 2520 with the TT hitched it appears the 600# TW might be pretty close.
I'm not familiar with your WDH but I guess the 2 link hanging has the bars tighter than 1 link hanging.
Unloaded your front is 2900 and with 1 link it's still 2900. Sounds like very little weight being xfered to the front. With 2 links and 2980 you've added 80# to the front.
Since you are well below the Rear GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) I'd take a look at the "squat" in the rear of your TV. If it's enough to make the headlights point upwards then a bit more tension in the WDH bars. If the squat is minimal (less than 2") you may be good to go.
Hi again..... When the TT was hitched to TV without WDH the front axles weighed 2540. So by using the spring bars I am able to put it back to unhitched weight of 2900. Isn't that the purpose? Or am I supposed to make the front even heavier? I don't really see "squat" in the rear of TV because the rear axles are higher up than the front to begin with. Everything looks pretty level to me. I guess what I really need to know is if adding that 80 extras pounds to the front is helping to make the tow better? Or does that not really change things much?
Old 05-19-2016, 04:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Hi again..... When the TT was hitched to TV without WDH the front axles weighed 2540. So by using the spring bars I am able to put it back to unhitched weight of 2900. Isn't that the purpose? Or am I supposed to make the front even heavier? I don't really see "squat" in the rear of TV because the rear axles are higher up than the front to begin with. Everything looks pretty level to me. I guess what I really need to know is if adding that 80 extras pounds to the front is helping to make the tow better? Or does that not really change things much?
I think your goal is to get the front axle back to or close to but just under the unloaded weight. If your over the unloaded weight, my opinion its too tight, you need to loosen it up a link.

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:02 PM   #16

Quote:
By squat I mean the body, how much lower is the body hitched vs unhitched? Measure at the wheel well. From your description it sounds like both settings you've reported are good. I might go with the "two link" to start with.
Remember, your tires are rated for 65 max.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 05-19-2016, 08:17 PM   #17

Quote:
By squat I mean the body, how much lower is the body hitched vs unhitched? Measure at the wheel well. From your description it sounds like both settings you've reported are good. I might go with the "two link" to start with.
Remember, your tires are rated for 65 max.
Oh that is not a problem I barely go over 55 lol I am too nervous.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsallman1 View Post
I think your goal is to get the front axle back to or close to but just under the unloaded weight. If your over the unloaded weight, my opinion its too tight, you need to loosen it up a link.
X2. Not sure what your owners manual states regarding the recommended wdh adjustment, but most manufacture (possibly all) do not state to transfer more than 100% of the lost weight, which you are doing with one link hanging (not sure how many are under tension).

There are some who will transfer a little more weight to the front axle (like you have with two links hanging), but not many. IF you decide to run with the "two link hanging", make sure the rear has not lost weight!!! With two hanging and only being 80lbs over the unloaded weight I would guess you aren't transferring to much off the rear axle.

Old 05-20-2016, 03:15 PM   #19

Quote:
X2. Not sure what your owners manual states regarding the recommended wdh adjustment, but most manufacture (possibly all) do not state to transfer more than 100% of the lost weight, which you are doing with one link hanging (not sure how many are under tension).

There are some who will transfer a little more weight to the front axle (like you have with two links hanging), but not many. IF you decide to run with the "two link hanging", make sure the rear has not lost weight!!! With two hanging and only being 80lbs over the unloaded weight I would guess you aren't transferring to much off the rear axle.
I read through the whole towing section of the owners manual and it never mentioned anything about transferring weight with the wdh. I was hoping to have some guidance from that.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:19 PM   #20

Quote:
I read through the whole towing section of the owners manual and it never mentioned anything about transferring weight with the wdh. I was hoping to have some guidance from that.
I know you have posted it before, but what is your tv: year, model, etc....?