Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2018, 12:30 AM   #1

Help- my Hitch Receiver is rated lower than TV & WD hitch ratings

Hi,
EDITED to clarify that the problem is, the Curt brand round tube that has the 2"square Receiver opening, & connects the hitch to my SUV, this tube weight rating is the problem. And I need to know what it means, to tow safely.

Recently, I learned my SUV/trailer hitch set-up is less than what I thought it was.

*SUV- 6500# tow capacity. 1260# payload.

*Curt brand Round tubing connected aftermarket to my SUV, & has the 2"square Receiver opening on it, this tubing has a Weight Distribution Wt rating of 5500# when used with a weight distribution hitch

*Eaz-lift class IV Wt. Distribution Hitch- MGTWR-14000#, MVHC-1400#

*QUESTION*
1- Due to the Curt Round tubing lower 5500# WD rating, does this mean I can never tow a trailer more than 5500# GTW, even though Hitch is a class IV? Would it be safe to tow at the max 5500# rating?

2- Any idea why Jayco would have given me a heavy classIV (vs classIII hitch), but installed a lower rated Curt tubing connector to my TV?? (This hitch/tubing was installed in 2004 by Jayco)
Thanks for any help!!!

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain

2004 Jayco Jayfeather Sport 165
2004 Lexus GX470
Sport165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:30 AM   #2

That is a question that you should ask your dealer However draw tite does offer a hitch that is rated at 7300 lbs
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:14 AM   #3

The hitch is good, it's the Curt tubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedrck46 View Post
That is a question that you should ask your dealer However draw tite does offer a hitch that is rated at 7300 lbs
Thanks bedrck, please see my OP, I edited it to clarify, the hitch itself is not the issue-- Except it's frick'n heavy!!
Please reply back if you have any further advice, bc I don't know my tow limit now.
Have a nice night, or day

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain

2004 Lexus GX470
Old 01-29-2018, 02:23 AM   #4

picture shows the Curt tubing I am talking about, with 5500# wt rating,
With the Eaz-lift hitch attached.
& Yes,
I know, it all needs to be washed & hitch needs some tlc..
Thanks again for any advice,
I really just need to know my tow capacity...
My son & I, are having so much fun on our road trips, but we need more space, like for dressing!! & For our 2 large dogs!! (GSD & Rotty)!! So I have been looking at larger units... 29' & 6000# GVWR--- the Jayco 264bh.... Though with my SUV short wheelbase, I'm also concerned about the length of this trailer...
Ok, thanks again!!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180128_160058.jpg  

2004 Lexus GX470
Old 01-29-2018, 05:33 AM   #5

Your towing would be limited by what your hitch receiver is rated for even if the suv can tow more.
If you want to tow at suv max then get a different hitch receiver put on suv like this on the link. https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...cleid=20043933

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:31 AM   #6

Agree with the above post by SOMBATFAMILY
First thing I would do is replace the hitch with the Draw Tite which has a higher tow weight/tongue weight rating as compared to the Curt hitch.

But no matter what you decide in my opinion I would not tow anything over 5500 lbs. with your SUV even though its rated for 6500 lbs. I also would limit the length of the trailer to 25 ft. or less.

Also keep in mind the cargo capacity of your SUV 1260 lbs. So if your hitch weight is 40 lbs and the WD head is 50 lbs and you have a tongue weight of 600 lbs you now have a payload of 570 lbs remaining Now subtract 300 lbs for two passengers and another 75 lbs for each dog and you left with 120 lbs

If you decide to change the hitch I suggest you look at Draw Tite's web site and pay attention to the note about hitch weights of hitch made before a certain date (2007) Any that were made before that date had a lower weight rating. So make sure you specify which tow rating you need
Old 01-29-2018, 07:03 AM   #7

To answer your question

2- Any idea why Jayco would have given me a heavy classIV (vs classIII hitch), but installed a lower rated Curt tubing connector to my TV?? (This hitch/tubing was installed in 2004 by Jayco)

First I doubt that JAYCO installed the hitch Most likely was a Jayco DEALER.
Second the curt hitch tat was installed having a rating of 5500 lbs. was more than adequate to tow the 2004 Jayco Jayfeather Sport 165 which has a gross weight of 3500 lbs

I would not fault the Jayco dealer as he sold you what you needed when you purchased the Sport 165. Could he have installed a higher rated hitch? Hard to say what was available back in 2004. But what was installed was capable of towing the Sport 165.

Now you want to upgrade to a bigger and heavier TT so its also time to upgrade the hitch.

You may also want to consider adding sway control to the WD hitch
Also suggest a trip to the CAT Scales when everything is finally hooked up.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:39 AM   #8

It sounds like your hitch matches the capabilities of your SUV, since...

you only have 1260lbs of payload

Payload is the amount of weight you can load onto the chassis of the SUV.

Starting at 1260lbs, start subtracting EVERYTHING that is added to the SUV. Passengers, dogs, hitch receiver (40lbs), weight distribution hitch, including bars (75lbs) any other cargo you have in your SUV.

The 2018 Jayco 264BH has a 470lbs tongue weight as shipped from the factory. Add 2-20lbs propane tanks and a 12V battery at a combined total of 100lbs.

Put sheets and blankets on the bed, clothes in the wardrobes, sewer hose, water hose, leveling blocks, chairs, etc. etc. in the front storage compartment and you've easily added another 200lbs to the tongue weight.

My guess is that a 6000lbs trailer wet and loaded for travel will have a 750-800lbs tongue weight.

I think you will be over weight towing a 2018 Jayco 264BH with your payload of 1260. The only way to know for sure is to see if the dealer will let you take it to a scale and find out the real numbers.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:49 AM   #9

If you are looking to upgrade to a larger and heavier TT, you likely need to be thinking of upgrading your tow-vehicle. When I hear SUV as a tv, I immediately think of lighter / smaller TT's. Some are better equipped than others and the Luxus has enough power to pull up to the rating. That said its the payload, as others have stated, that will be your limiting factor. Manufacturers and that is including Luxus, tend to overstate towing and payload ratings. Same is true with trucks as well as SUV's.

When we upgraded from a 28' tt to our 2014 white hawk we also upgraded from a 1/2 ton to a 3/4 ton HD. The 1500 would pull it and could handle the weight fine, but the first couple of tows it was obvious that the tranny was the weak link. Dealer said at 230degrees all was good but the smaller TT towed at 190-195.

If you are really thinking of going to a larger and heavier TT, I would seriously consider moving to a longer wheel base TV and probably at least a 1500 truck.

As a side note, I recently saw that Porshe was offering an SUV??? Lexus worked very hard a couple decades ago to introduce the brand as a luxury vehicle line. Sporty vehicles, sedans, and SUVs for sure, but at some time a car company needs to take a look at what they are and not try to be something for everything. The big 3 make some mighty luxurious trucks.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
As a side note, I recently saw that Porshe was offering an SUV??? Lexus worked very hard a couple decades ago to introduce the brand as a luxury vehicle line. Sporty vehicles, sedans, and SUVs for sure, but at some time a car company needs to take a look at what they are and not try to be something for everything. The big 3 make some mighty luxurious trucks.

Lol. Porsche has been building the Cayenne since 2002. It’s a very capable vehicle, sister to the VW Toureg and Audi Q7.

Some people haven’t spent enough time on RV forums to know that only trucks can tow in the United States [emoji6]

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:23 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport165 View Post
snip.......
1- Due to the Curt Round tubing lower 5500# WD rating, does this mean I can never tow a trailer more than 5500# GTW, even though Hitch is a class IV?.....snip
Correct, assuming all other weight limits are respected. I would also assume your Curt receiver hitch has a 550lb maximum WD tongue weight limit as well.

Don't forget, there are also maximum vehicle specified WD tongue weight limits. Refer to your vehicle's Owners Manual Towing Section, you should find the manufacture's maximum allowable "loaded" tongue weight for your model Lexus. This info can influence receiver hitch selection, and/or loaded TT tongue weights limits.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:15 PM   #12

OP, do not be discouraged with the responses. 9 out of 10 responses would be no, you can't do this, it is not safe, you will kills all kids in a school bus, etc.

I do not know your tow vehicle, but I am sure there are at least a couple of guys towing bigger trailers with Lexus over Airstream forum (this is the forum where you will meet more SUV owners). If in doubt, call Andy Thomson from Can Am, if he would say "not feasible", then drop the idea.

Just for reference, I am towing 28DSBH with BMW X5 and it is very stable combo. Read about the mods I've done to make the tongue weight lighter. Also, do not believe in those myths that ProPride/Hensley (which ELIMINATE sway) are adding 200 lbs to the tongue weight.

Just educate yourself and make the discussion using your brain.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...-x5-53561.html
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
OP, do not be discouraged with the responses. 9 out of 10 responses would be no, you can't do this, it is not safe, you will kills all kids in a school bus, etc.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...-x5-53561.html
My point is NOT that you can't pull something bigger with his SUV but he threw out possibility of going with a much heavier and longer TT. Also his tv is a 2004 if I remember correctly. At some point he will hit the wall with the Lexus as a tow vehicle. Decision is the OP's to make.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:45 AM   #14

This is perfect! Thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMBATFAMILY View Post
Your towing would be limited by what your hitch receiver is rated for even if the suv can tow more.
If you want to tow at suv max then get a different hitch receiver put on suv like this on the link. https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...cleid=20043933

Thanks for this link! And NOW I know what the round tubing is called!!!! It says it fits my vehicle but my current Curt frame has holes in slightly different places, where it's attached to my TV. Relieved also that it is a relatively inexpensive& simple fix!

2004 Lexus GX470

Tags
hitch, tow rating, towing, weight, weight distribution