Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2016, 09:59 AM   #1

Help with brake controller

Got one installed and they put in a Curt Discovery. Never showed me how to use it or adjust it. I was left with going to You Tube to get it figured out. Only problem is that is decides to work when it feels like it. Tried setting it manually and when I pressed the manual brake on the controller nothing happened and then all of a sudden my trailer brakes locked up and left skid marks in the road. I am constantly adjusting it down from 2.5 to .05 because it locks up on me at random times. I just want something easy to use and that works. My bff loves her Tekonsha Prodigy P2, but I want other options because I have read that some don't like the digital ones.

lukenick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:51 PM   #2

i've had 2 different Curt brake controllers that worked fairly well. There is a little slider on the side to set the sensitivity of the trailer brake controller. the slightest touch of your brake pedal will activate your trailer brakes if the sensitivity is set too high. if sensitivity is set too low then you'll be mashing your brake pedal before the trailer brakes engage. Speed also has plays a big factor in your settings. I would go to a big empty parking lot and experiment with the settings.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdanmc View Post
i've had 2 different Curt brake controllers that worked fairly well. There is a little slider on the side to set the sensitivity of the trailer brake controller. the slightest touch of your brake pedal will activate your trailer brakes if the sensitivity is set too high. if sensitivity is set too low then you'll be mashing your brake pedal before the trailer brakes engage. Speed also has plays a big factor in your settings. I would go to a big empty parking lot and experiment with the settings.
I did try adjusting that side switch. I am down to 2 for aggression. I barely was going 2 mph at a traffic light and the brakes were locking up. I am fed up with it. I am so nervous towing to begin with I cannot be constantly messing with the settings for different speeds during the trip. I need to concentrate on the road.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:17 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
The cheap brake controllers doesn't have modulation so they never will work proper.
They are very hard to adjust. Look for "modulation" in the manual what came with the controller.

If the brakes grab (kind of lockup) by different adjustments get an better controller (that's the only remedy)
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power

ALJO 'Forever Young @ Heart' provide on their travels Music Entertainment to Senior Care Homes
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:21 PM   #5

I hated our brake controller until I got the P2. The P2 was effortless, set it and forget it.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:38 PM   #6

I would love to get the P2 as well but I am already wired for a Curt. I don't want to have to spend more money on getting another install. I want to be able to plug it into the wiring I already have there.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:38 PM   #7

Perhaps I am old school and simple. I use a Tekonsha Voyager. Very simple to use. simple to operate. I have had it for over 10 years now. It was worked perfect and never given me any issues.
2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Northface tent/Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH
Lance Cabover/Prowler TT/WildernessTT/Tiltin Hiltin Cabover/Starcraft popup
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:46 PM   #8

I' a newbie to towing and my research lead me to the P2 for the price I was looking at. Glad I did, I set it up in the parking lot of the RV dealer and put it at a mid level and it worked great on my 3 hour drive back home. I had mixed conditions and had to hit the brakes in different ways. Not one single issue.

I would highly recommend, if you don't find a Curt product that fits your need, to take the hit and change the 4 wire harness from the Curt to the Tekonsha.

Good luck!
Old 04-24-2016, 04:43 AM   #9

I have a cheap Hopkins in one vehicle and a Prodigy P3 in the other. Honestly, they both work well and were easy to set up. Is your controller mounted at an angle or is it tilted to the side? That can make them behave badly sometimes.
Jflyboym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:56 AM   #10

X2 on the P2. Been using mine for 4 years and two trailers. Works great with no issues. Liked the price too.

Happy Rving,
Jeff

havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote