Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2016, 08:59 AM   #1

Help with brake controller

Got one installed and they put in a Curt Discovery. Never showed me how to use it or adjust it. I was left with going to You Tube to get it figured out. Only problem is that is decides to work when it feels like it. Tried setting it manually and when I pressed the manual brake on the controller nothing happened and then all of a sudden my trailer brakes locked up and left skid marks in the road. I am constantly adjusting it down from 2.5 to .05 because it locks up on me at random times. I just want something easy to use and that works. My bff loves her Tekonsha Prodigy P2, but I want other options because I have read that some don't like the digital ones.
lukenick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 05:51 PM   #2

i've had 2 different Curt brake controllers that worked fairly well. There is a little slider on the side to set the sensitivity of the trailer brake controller. the slightest touch of your brake pedal will activate your trailer brakes if the sensitivity is set too high. if sensitivity is set too low then you'll be mashing your brake pedal before the trailer brakes engage. Speed also has plays a big factor in your settings. I would go to a big empty parking lot and experiment with the settings.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdanmc View Post
i've had 2 different Curt brake controllers that worked fairly well. There is a little slider on the side to set the sensitivity of the trailer brake controller. the slightest touch of your brake pedal will activate your trailer brakes if the sensitivity is set too high. if sensitivity is set too low then you'll be mashing your brake pedal before the trailer brakes engage. Speed also has plays a big factor in your settings. I would go to a big empty parking lot and experiment with the settings.
I did try adjusting that side switch. I am down to 2 for aggression. I barely was going 2 mph at a traffic light and the brakes were locking up. I am fed up with it. I am so nervous towing to begin with I cannot be constantly messing with the settings for different speeds during the trip. I need to concentrate on the road.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:17 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
The cheap brake controllers doesn't have modulation so they never will work proper.
They are very hard to adjust. Look for "modulation" in the manual what came with the controller.

If the brakes grab (kind of lockup) by different adjustments get an better controller (that's the only remedy)
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:21 PM   #5

I hated our brake controller until I got the P2. The P2 was effortless, set it and forget it.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:38 PM   #6

I would love to get the P2 as well but I am already wired for a Curt. I don't want to have to spend more money on getting another install. I want to be able to plug it into the wiring I already have there.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:38 PM   #7

Perhaps I am old school and simple. I use a Tekonsha Voyager. Very simple to use. simple to operate. I have had it for over 10 years now. It was worked perfect and never given me any issues.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:46 PM   #8

I' a newbie to towing and my research lead me to the P2 for the price I was looking at. Glad I did, I set it up in the parking lot of the RV dealer and put it at a mid level and it worked great on my 3 hour drive back home. I had mixed conditions and had to hit the brakes in different ways. Not one single issue.

I would highly recommend, if you don't find a Curt product that fits your need, to take the hit and change the 4 wire harness from the Curt to the Tekonsha.

Good luck!
Old 04-24-2016, 03:43 AM   #9

I have a cheap Hopkins in one vehicle and a Prodigy P3 in the other. Honestly, they both work well and were easy to set up. Is your controller mounted at an angle or is it tilted to the side? That can make them behave badly sometimes.
Jflyboym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 05:56 AM   #10

X2 on the P2. Been using mine for 4 years and two trailers. Works great with no issues. Liked the price too.

Happy Rving,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:07 AM   #11

I have a new Tekonsha P3 brake controller, the instructions say adjust the controller up until the trailer brakes skid, then back it down slightly till the don't skid. This is using the controller manual brake lever at 25 MPH. Well my new Starcraft 24 RLS brakes wont lock up even with the controller set full on at 14. They semm to work good but no locking up. A local dealer told me they set brake controllers in their parking lot at about walking speed, then adjust so the trailer stops within about 10ft. Do my brakes need adjusting? Setting the controller at just below skid seems pretty aggressive. But I'm still learning . Thanks
jim shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:34 AM   #12

aljo, how is that sound advice. like i said, i've had two curt brake controllers and they worked fine. was able to dial them in correctly with my pop up and both hybrid travel trailers. yes, it does take some effort initially and minor adjustments while traveling but they will work.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdanmc View Post
aljo, how is that sound advice. like i said, i've had two curt brake controllers and they worked fine. was able to dial them in correctly with my pop up and both hybrid travel trailers. yes, it does take some effort initially and minor adjustments while traveling but they will work.
njdanmc, do you use the " crankem up till they lock up then dial it back a little" method of setting your brake controller.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenick1 View Post
Got one installed and they put in a Curt Discovery. Never showed me how to use it or adjust it. I was left with going to You Tube to get it figured out. Only problem is that is decides to work when it feels like it. Tried setting it manually and when I pressed the manual brake on the controller nothing happened and then all of a sudden my trailer brakes locked up and left skid marks in the road. I am constantly adjusting it down from 2.5 to .05 because it locks up on me at random times. I just want something easy to use and that works. My bff loves her Tekonsha Prodigy P2, but I want other options because I have read that some don't like the digital ones.
This is the only controller you've used, correct? Your trailer is new, correct? I'd go back to your dealer and ask them to make it right.

If your brakes have been 'grabbing' and locking up, it is possible there is grease on the shoes. You may need to have them pull the brake drums to rule this out, because grease on the brakes will cause a problem no matter what kind controller is used.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim shoes View Post
I have a new Tekonsha P3 brake controller, the instructions say adjust the controller up until the trailer brakes skid, then back it down slightly till the don't skid. This is using the controller manual brake lever at 25 MPH. Well my new Starcraft 24 RLS brakes wont lock up even with the controller set full on at 14. They semm to work good but no locking up. A local dealer told me they set brake controllers in their parking lot at about walking speed, then adjust so the trailer stops within about 10ft. Do my brakes need adjusting? Setting the controller at just below skid seems pretty aggressive. But I'm still learning . Thanks
I've also got a P3. I just adjust mine by what I feel. I like to feel the trailer brakes engage before the truck brakes do. If I get a little too aggressive with that, then the trailer brakes apply too quickly at low speeds, and I can back it off. Once set, I never touch it.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:03 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
I've also got a P3. I just adjust mine by what I feel. I like to feel the trailer brakes engage before the truck brakes do. If I get a little too aggressive with that, then the trailer brakes apply too quickly at low speeds, and I can back it off. Once set, I never touch it.
Thanks for the reply, I agree.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:43 AM   #17

no, i initially set it midway on both settings then kept adjusting to what i felt comfortable with. my original reply was just indicating my disappointment that a lot of posters here say things are junk or garbage or won't work if it's not top of the line equipment and i say hogwash to that. to say that a cheap brake controller will never work properly is an inaccurate statement in my opinion.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
This is the only controller you've used, correct? Your trailer is new, correct? I'd go back to your dealer and ask them to make it right.

If your brakes have been 'grabbing' and locking up, it is possible there is grease on the shoes. You may need to have them pull the brake drums to rule this out, because grease on the brakes will cause a problem no matter what kind controller is used.
Yes this is the only controller I have used. My trailer is used. The dealer did not install the brake controller a hitch company did it. I also see a puff of smoke come out of the TT brakes when I press my TV brake pedal.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:48 PM   #19

I have run 3 or 4 controllers and like one post said the controller does need to be mounted fairly level side to side for it to work properly, but I do notice a difference in the gyro controlled ones compared to just the press pedal get juice type. My last one would have to be adjusted on my car hauler for when I had a car in it compared to when it was running empty or the brakes would lock almost every time empty. Also there are 2 adjustments to most one I for when it begins to work and the other is a fine tune adjustment ... make sure the first is adjusted before you work with the second or you will have all manor of problems getting it right. Good luck