Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-26-2019, 06:49 AM   #1

Hensley/ProPride and HD Trucks?

Quick question. I’m about to pull the trigger on a ProPride hitch before a long out west trip.

Those of you running this style of hitch behind an HD truck, particularly a diesel, have you noticed any undesirable behavior when using powertrain braking? (Exhaust brake, transmission grade braking)

I ask because the way the hitch moves laterally I can’t foresee it being a real concern but I’d like to ask. I depend heavily on the powertrain braking abilities when trailering in the mountains.
Dave.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 06:55 AM   #2

Give Shawn at ProPride a call. He was extremely helpful when I purchased mine and has been great long after the sale. He will not feed you a line of bull just to sell the hitch. He wants you to be happy because he realizes his business depends on highly satisfied customers. As an aside, I had this same question before I bought, just with respect to hard braking. I can PM you his number if you are interested.
K2tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 06:56 AM   #3

I used a propide with a Ram 3500 SRW, CTD and had zero issues utilizing the exhaust brake. It was a complete pleasure towing through the WV, VA and NC mountains. Now sway no issues!!

Best thing would be to contact Sean at ProPride talk through your concerns.
scuba0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2tiger View Post
Give Shawn at ProPride a call. He was extremely helpful when I purchased mine and has been great long after the sale. He will not feed you a line of bull just to sell the hitch. He wants you to be happy because he realizes his business depends on highly satisfied customers. As an aside, I had this same question before I bought, just with respect to hard braking. I can PM you his number if you are interested.
I’ve talked to Shawn. Thank you. He is very helpful. His response is below. So I’m not overly concerned, but I’d like to hear real world experience. I’m sure I’m over thinking this, but for $3k and a two week 4K mike trip, I want to be sure.

In most situations, there isn't enough difference in the deceleration of the trailer and the tow vehicle for the trailer to really roll up on the tow vehicle. And, even if it does slightly it instantly goes away when the trailer is being pulled again. There can be some push in a turn if the trailer isn't slowing properly but, again, not very common due to the trailer brakes slowing down the trailer adequately.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0331 View Post
I used a propide with a Ram 3500 SRW, CTD and had zero issues utilizing the exhaust brake. It was a complete pleasure towing through the WV, VA and NC mountains. Now sway no issues!!

Best thing would be to contact Sean at ProPride talk through your concerns.
Thank you. That’s great to hear. That’s what I was looking for.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:58 AM   #6

I used a Hensley with a 31' 7300 lbs SOB TT and a 12 Ram 2500 CTD. I got the infamous 'Bump' quite often using just the EB then hitting the brakes. It occurred when exiting off ramps where I just let up on the pedal and let the EB slow me down for a bit. Then when needing the brakes to finally stop I'd get the 'Bump'.
I also got the 'Bump' when in the sections of the hwy where you approach a 25-35 mph curve while running 55-60 mph. As I approach the curve I, again let the EB slow me down until I need the trucks brakes, at that point stepping on the brakes would cause the 'Bump'.

Now this 'Bump' thing didn't happen like that every time. Just enough and unexpectedly to bug me.
I also used the same HA with the same TT and a 2010 F150 and never got the 'Bump'.
Figured that the F150's TBC was doing it's job and causing the TT's brakes to grab before the 'Bump' could happen.

I will say though that the HA is awesome. It was far more effective with the F150 than the 2500. I towed the same TT with a no sway EAZ-Lift and the TT 2500 never flinched.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
I used a Hensley with a 31' 7300 lbs SOB TT and a 12 Ram 2500 CTD. I got the infamous 'Bump' quite often using just the EB then hitting the brakes. It occurred when exiting off ramps where I just let up on the pedal and let the EB slow me down for a bit. Then when needing the brakes to finally stop I'd get the 'Bump'.
I also got the 'Bump' when in the sections of the hwy where you approach a 25-35 mph curve while running 55-60 mph. As I approach the curve I, again let the EB slow me down until I need the trucks brakes, at that point stepping on the brakes would cause the 'Bump'.

Now this 'Bump' thing didn't happen like that every time. Just enough and unexpectedly to bug me.
I also used the same HA with the same TT and a 2010 F150 and never got the 'Bump'.
Figured that the F150's TBC was doing it's job and causing the TT's brakes to grab before the 'Bump' could happen.

I will say though that the HA is awesome. It was far more effective with the F150 than the 2500. I towed the same TT with a no sway EAZ-Lift and the TT 2500 never flinched.
This sounds exactly how I drive. Use the powertrain braking as much as possible.

So how “bad” is the “bump”? In the last paragraph are you saying you prefer the EAZ-Lift to the HA with the 2500?
Old 01-26-2019, 12:12 PM   #8

The bumps not bad in and of it's self. It just catches you off guard since you don't know when it's coming.
I didn't mean to sound like the EAZ-Lift was preferred. What I meant was that with my TT and going to a 3/4 ton from a 1/2 ton that the little bit of TT movement didn't effect the truck like it did with the F150. When the TT got pushed around the F150 also got pushed around. Using the HA with the F150 cured all the truck movement. Not to sound cliche'ish but it really was like nothing was back there.
Moving to the 2500 CTD and just using a plane Jane WDH like the EAZ-Lift gave the same "Like nothing back there" tow.

another factor that bothered me about the HA was the hitching and unhitching. If you're on level ground then it's not bad. If you're on very uneven ground it can be frustrating.
I didn't have a backup cam on either truck so I had to have the wife help or get out of the truck several times to adjust the HA to get the stinger to line up. I'm assuming that with a backup cam things would be somewhat easier.
The other issue and this pertains to me, was that when parking the TT in my driveway I was in a V position with the truck and TT. When hitching I could only insert the stinger an inch or so before it would jam. I had to get out and raise the HA a little, then push the stinger in a bit, repeat, repeat until the HA was seated.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:08 PM   #9

Buy the propride-awesome hitch and Shawn is indeed very helpful.
1973 IH 1210 CC
1975 IH Travelall
1979 IH Scout II
[SIGPIC]
bstannard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:15 PM   #10

I could never justify spend that kind of money on a hitch. I didn't need to with the 150, and surely didn't need it with the Super Duty. If my tow vehicle needed that hitch, I would have sooner spent the money on a better tow vehicle.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:39 PM   #11

Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
I could never justify spend that kind of money on a hitch. I didn't need to with the 150, and surely didn't need it with the Super Duty. If my tow vehicle needed that hitch, I would have sooner spent the money on a better tow vehicle.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
Funny
U2
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:17 PM   #13

My favorite band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
U2
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:25 PM   #14

I use a ProPride with my '17 Cummins and only occasionally get a little bump. I use the auto exhaust brake on mine when towing so the exhaust brake only engages if my speed goes above where it was when I let off the throttle (like downhill) or if I touch the brake pedal. If I forget to select auto and use full exhaust brake, I rarely get a bump upon letting off the throttle. I actually find I get more of the bump when I come to a complete stop. The brakes on my early '17 BHBE are Lippert's and are very weak. They have been pulled apart, cleaned and adjusted and still the truck idling will pull through the max trailer brake using the factory brake controller. If you have Dexter brakes you probably won't get much bump at all.

Either way, you won't regret buying and using the ProPride. Of course, you may never get into a sway condition with any other hitch. Problem is, you won't know until you are swaying! Even at $3 grand, the hitch is cheap. Truck is $60 - $85 grand and the trailer is easily $30 grand and up...

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:20 PM   #15

Ordered. Should be here tomorrow.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:40 AM   #16

Installed and completely worth it! Huge difference. Rock solid. I'm impressed.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:28 PM   #17

Great news! Invest in the hitch cover you won't regret it!
scuba0331 is offline   Reply With Quote