Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-20-2014, 03:28 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New Brighton, PA
Posts: 131
Hitch Ball Size

Hey Gang,

We purchased a brand new 2012 Jayco 308RETS which the dealer delivered to our seasonal site 2 years ago. Now we are changing campgrounds and I have to move our TT.

Does anyone know what the Hitch Ball Size is and what the tongue weight is as well. I have to transport the TT myself approximately 20 miles. I'm no stranger to trailer as I've towed our boats, other campers as well as a toad behind our Motorhome.

I may not have a weight distrabution hitch available to me. Since I'm only going 20 miles, no highways or interstates, a simple drive to the new campground I may not worry about weight distrabution hitch.

As always, thanks....
__________________

__________________
John & Janine
Pazzo the Maltese
New Brighton, PA.

2012 Jayco Super Lite 308 RETS
2014 Georgetown 328TSF
2013 Jeep Rubicon w/Mods
308rets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:35 PM   #2
Site Team
 
WVDusty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Charleston
Posts: 1,550
Technical Specifications:
Length (ft/m) 35 / 10.7
Width (in/mm) 96 / 2438.4
Height (in/mm) 138 / 3505.2
Interior Height (in/mm) 84 / 2133.6
Length (ft/ft) 35
Length (ft/in) 0
Dry Weight (lbs/kg) 7660 / 3474.6
Payload Capacity (lbs/kgs) 2090 / 948
GVWR (lbs/kgs) 9750 / 4422.6
Hitch Weight (lbs/kgs) 990 / 449.1

Good size TT you might think about trying to get a loaner WDH even for only 20 miles.
just a guess but i'll bet it takes a 2 5/16 ball.
__________________

__________________
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/re...%3A_douuy_o5dq

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:31 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Central California
Posts: 2,243
Might just be worth hiring a tow truck to make the move, unless you have another TV available other than the jeeps listed. I imagine that 308 would require a pretty decent TV to safely move it. Since it has been seasonal, I imagine you have it fairly well loaded and that 983LBS tongue wight could actually be quite a bit more. Getting over a 1000 lbs tongue weight and towing in weight carrying mode opposed to weight distritution mode will require a pretty stout receiver.
__________________
2007 Chevy Duramax LMM/Allison
2012 Jay Flight 29QBH
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:32 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Central California
Posts: 2,243
Oh, it will likely be 2 5/16" ball.
__________________
2007 Chevy Duramax LMM/Allison
2012 Jay Flight 29QBH
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:35 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: N/A
Posts: 567
You need a heavy duty 2" ball with 1 1/4" heavy duty shank that is rated for class IV/V. A regular 2" ball would not be strong enough. You should use a weight distributing hitch to maintain control as it puts weight back on the steer tires. I have a 338 rlts 39' long and 11,000 lbs and this is the setup for it as well. You also need a class IV/V receiver hitch as well. I like the idea using a rental truck to move it.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:58 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Arizona City
Posts: 5,084
2 5/16 ball. Would not even try to move it with your Jeeps. Just my .02 cents worth
__________________
2011 jayco 33rlds, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2008 Suzuki sx-4, hers. Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:56 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New Brighton, PA
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Might just be worth hiring a tow truck to make the move, unless you have another TV available other than the jeeps listed. I imagine that 308 would require a pretty decent TV to safely move it. Since it has been seasonal, I imagine you have it fairly well loaded and that 983LBS tongue wight could actually be quite a bit more. Getting over a 1000 lbs tongue weight and towing in weight carrying mode opposed to weight distritution mode will require a pretty stout receiver.
Great points. I have a F250 Power Stroke available for the transport. I did give some thought in trying to find a transport company to move it. Not sure what the cost will be as well as making sure the TT is placed exactly where I want it on the new site.

Thanks for sharing.
__________________
John & Janine
Pazzo the Maltese
New Brighton, PA.

2012 Jayco Super Lite 308 RETS
2014 Georgetown 328TSF
2013 Jeep Rubicon w/Mods
308rets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:58 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New Brighton, PA
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcany View Post
2 5/16 ball. Would not even try to move it with your Jeeps. Just my .02 cents worth
Agree. Jeeps aren't an option. I've towed a 10k boat for 15 years so safety is most important. Thanks.
__________________
John & Janine
Pazzo the Maltese
New Brighton, PA.

2012 Jayco Super Lite 308 RETS
2014 Georgetown 328TSF
2013 Jeep Rubicon w/Mods
308rets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:58 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New Brighton, PA
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVDusty View Post
Technical Specifications:
Length (ft/m) 35 / 10.7
Width (in/mm) 96 / 2438.4
Height (in/mm) 138 / 3505.2
Interior Height (in/mm) 84 / 2133.6
Length (ft/ft) 35
Length (ft/in) 0
Dry Weight (lbs/kg) 7660 / 3474.6
Payload Capacity (lbs/kgs) 2090 / 948
GVWR (lbs/kgs) 9750 / 4422.6
Hitch Weight (lbs/kgs) 990 / 449.1

Good size TT you might think about trying to get a loaner WDH even for only 20 miles.
just a guess but i'll bet it takes a 2 5/16 ball.
Thanks. Good info.
__________________
John & Janine
Pazzo the Maltese
New Brighton, PA.

2012 Jayco Super Lite 308 RETS
2014 Georgetown 328TSF
2013 Jeep Rubicon w/Mods
308rets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:22 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Central California
Posts: 2,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by 308rets View Post
Great points. I have a F250 Power Stroke available for the transport. I did give some thought in trying to find a transport company to move it. Not sure what the cost will be as well as making sure the TT is placed exactly where I want it on the new site.

Thanks for sharing.
Not sure how far the seasonal is from a dealer, any dealer. I imagine you could probably get a factory delivery driver who has recently dropped a trailer at a dealership to do the move reasonably. Those guys have all the equipment, proper trucks, and don't typically get back hauls so the chance to make a couple hundred extra bucks might be quite worth it. If they have to go hundreds of miles out of the way maybe not, but might be worth investigating.
__________________

__________________
2007 Chevy Duramax LMM/Allison
2012 Jay Flight 29QBH
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.