Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-11-2023, 11:27 AM   #1

Hitch Setup

My dealer set up my WDH when I bought my trailer. I don't think he did it right. I was towing in the rain a few months after I bought the trailer and I nearly lost control because the front tires were hydroplaning. After that, I paid more attention and I noticed the steering seems to drift more with the trailer attached. I don't think the hitch applies enough weight to the front wheels, although I checked the fender height before and after hookup and it seems to be correct. Part of the problem could have been worn tires. I now have new tires and I'm going to start over.

I have a Yukon XL Denali with the level ride system. As I understand it, I'm supposed to connect the hitch without bars and let the level ride adjust before connecting the bars and adjusting the hitch. For those who have done this, is that the correct way?

Thanks.
Old 03-11-2023, 12:01 PM   #2

Thats never good. I would stop by a cat scale fully load for a trip and take 3 measurements. There is a sticky that goes into the details. This will, give you an idea if your hitch is configured correctly.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...v-tt-3871.html

The dealer may have configured the hitch for an empty tt. Not a load tt. Towed great home. Now you've loaded it up, no so much anymore.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 10:39 PM   #3

I'm not familiar with your particular hitch. I had a Reese dual cam round bar WDH. I used it on two different tow vehicles and two different TT's. With each set-up there were three measurements that I always looked for.

1) The ball on the draw bar should be mounted 3/4" to 1" higher than the trailer tongue, when sitting level.

2) The next was to make sure my bars were the proper weight range for the tongue weight of my trailer.

3) Last was the adjustment of the round bar preload using the chain links. I measured to the bottom edge of my front fender, with and without the trailer connected. If the front fender lifted more than 1" after connecting, I needed more preload on the round bars or heavier rated round bars.

My WDH looked like this;

https://www.reeseprod.com/product/66...d-sway-control
LukeDagny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 09:17 AM   #4

If you shut the engine off does the shut down? Sent the trailer on the hitch ball and adjust the bars for proper vehicle level. Bet you end up with the bears tighter.
1973 IH 1210 CC
1975 IH Travelall
1979 IH Scout II
[SIGPIC]
bstannard is offline   Reply With Quote