Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #1

Honda Ridgeline

I have a Honda Ridgeline that we love! Started towing motorcycle trailer, then a pop-up. About two years ago we bought a 2010 19h and love the combination!!!

Anybody else towing with a Ridge?
ridge19h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #2

No but want to we are looking at them we have a 19H and tow with a liberty
MNWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #3

Yes! I have an '08 Ridgeline that we are towing our 19h with. Just got back from a 500 mile trip out to Cape Cod!

Are you using a Weight Distributing Hitch? We didn't have any issues towing, other than a little sway now and then and the huge amount of sag on the rear axle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge19h View Post
I have a Honda Ridgeline that we love! Started towing motorcycle trailer, then a pop-up. About two years ago we bought a 2010 19h and love the combination!!!

Anybody else towing with a Ridge?
jeffiebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #4

We tow our x20e with the RL sometimes. I have zero complaints about the rig and it's capabilities. For me, there's just no other pickup that suits my needs as well as the RL. My 08 RTL will be around for quite a while.
RollTideinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #5

You should be fine as long as you stay below the weight & frontal wind exposure limits (TV & tt combined) set by Honda.Wind resistance being the v6 killer. Larry
Old 07-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #6

As you probably know, the Honda specs specifically state that the RL should not employ a WDH when towing. However, when evaluating the RL's capabilities with the x20e I did use my WDH (which is properly set up) and the combination performed very well. I took the rig through city and freeway drivng with no issues and got everything weighed to understand just how close I was to the upper limits.

For most towing we use my wife's Sequoia, but I would not hesitate to use the Ridgeline with my WDH. I'm not 100% convinced that there isn't some risk of drivetrain fault as a result, but my gut tells me that the risk is very low and so I'm willing to take that risk. The rig feels secure and handles well when using the WDH.

Just my experience and opinion.
RollTideinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #7

Something else to keep in mind is, if god forbid, you have an accident and your ins co. knows your doing something the mfg say's is a no no they will say" sorry pal your on your own", food for thought. Larry
Old 07-11-2013, 07:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19H F250 View Post
Something else to keep in mind is, if god forbid, you have an accident and your ins co. knows your doing something the mfg say's is a no no they will say" sorry pal your on your own", food for thought. Larry
Good point.

Also, keep in mind that depending on the year of the RL,the Ridgeline has a dual tow rating. The older ones have a 3500# for a travel trailer, 4500# for a boat. The X20E has a GVWR of 4570#. More than that its the frontal area of the trailer that will kill the Ridgeline. If the Ridgeline's manual says not to use a WDH, I don't think its a limitation of the vehicle, but rather the factory installed hitch. If you have one of the newer RLs with the 5000# capacity, you might be best swapping the factory hitch for a good quality after market one if you plan to tow your X20E with it.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #9

I have a 2013 Jayco Jay feather X20E and tow it with a 2007 Honda Ridgeline. I use a WDH with no problems. I get about 8.5-9.5 MPG. I do make sure that I'm not over my tow and hauling limits. You should be fine.
msprinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19H F250 View Post
That is incorrect unless you are committing a crime, ie: DWI. They will cover the accident but you will be cancelled.
Pitch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:33 PM   #11

Hi Doc!

Where did you see this info?

I've got a 2006 RTL (they don't get any older ) and my manual says nothing about different weight limits.

I'm currently looking at getting a 23B, which when loaded will put me at the limits of the RL's towing/GCVWR...

But after talking to other RL owners on the RL forum, I'm confident I can do it safely...though gas mileage won't be pretty.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Good point.

Also, keep in mind that depending on the year of the RL,the Ridgeline has a dual tow rating. The older ones have a 3500# for a travel trailer, 4500# for a boat. The X20E has a GVWR of 4570#. More than that its the frontal area of the trailer that will kill the Ridgeline. If the Ridgeline's manual says not to use a WDH, I don't think its a limitation of the vehicle, but rather the factory installed hitch. If you have one of the newer RLs with the 5000# capacity, you might be best swapping the factory hitch for a good quality after market one if you plan to tow your X20E with it.
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:33 PM   #12

Hello cincy
I have read all the posts about different limits and no WDH, but there is nothing about these in my owners manual. Our Ridgeline does very well here in southeast MO. But, we're looking towards retirement and traveling out west and think we are going to need a little more TV to get over the mountains. Wish Honda made a larger truck and the Toyota Tundra is light on payload, so I guess we're going with the big three.

David & Sandy Hinkle
2014 X23B
2007 Honda Ridgeline Traded
2016 F150 Max Tow, Tow mirrors
dhinkle57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:44 PM   #13

So you're pulling a 23B with a ridgeline and without a WDH?

What about anti-sway? Or have you not had any need for that?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinkle57 View Post
Hello cincy
I have read all the posts about different limits and no WDH, but there is nothing about these in my owners manual. Our Ridgeline does very well here in southeast MO. But, we're looking towards retirement and traveling out west and think we are going to need a little more TV to get over the mountains. Wish Honda made a larger truck and the Toyota Tundra is light on payload, so I guess we're going with the big three.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_cincy View Post
Hi Doc!

Where did you see this info?

I've got a 2006 RTL (they don't get any older ) and my manual says nothing about different weight limits.

I'm currently looking at getting a 23B, which when loaded will put me at the limits of the RL's towing/GCVWR...

But after talking to other RL owners on the RL forum, I'm confident I can do it safely...though gas mileage won't be pretty.

Thanks!
I stand corrected. I just looked at the manual. The dual limit is for the Pilot. What is low is the tongue limit. 600#. You'll have to be conscious of what you load in the front of the trailer.

Mileage will be bad no matter what you tow with!

Quote:
Hello cincy
Officially the manual states that using a WD hitch is not recommended and then cites something about "improper use". I see no reason you can't use one, and when talking about the 23B and something like the Ridgeline I'd be afraid not to use one. Even empty with that soft suspension it'll take quite a bit of weight off the front wheels.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:56 PM   #15
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_cincy View Post
So you're pulling a 23B with a ridgeline and without a WDH?

What about anti-sway? Or have you not had any need for that?

Thanks!

no, I believe he has a WDH. I think he was saying that it didn't mention in his manual not to use one
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:56 PM   #16

We tow with a 05 Pilot which is the red-haired step-child of the RL. I would look at air-bags to counter the sag in the rear. They have been a great upgrade for us. Also, I am unsure of the RL, but the MDX has an added rear suspension/frame braces that bolt right onto the Pilot. I added those as well. Check over at piloteers.org for more info. It can't hurt.

Honda is very conservative with their tow ratings. But, I do agree that the RL will run out of steam a bit in the mountains. However, what will not?

We just did a trip out west and I spend some time in the right lane. Never was passed by a semi, but it was working. I just can't say enough about how impressed I was with the Pilots performance over the 3000+ miles.

Happy Trails.........
greobr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:42 AM   #17

Sorry about the confusion, we do have WDH with swaybar. The Ridgeline is not a long truck so I think a sway bar IS a needed.

David & Sandy Hinkle
2014 X23B
2007 Honda Ridgeline Traded
2016 F150 Max Tow, Tow mirrors
dhinkle57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:59 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip..... we do have WDH with swaybar. The Ridgeline is not a long truck so I think a sway bar IS a needed.
If you get a chance, take your TV/HTT combination under loaded conditions to a CAT scale for a weigh-in. The results will confirm if your WDH is properly rated and adjusted.

CAT scale how to: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3871

Apologize for drifting a little off topic.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:15 AM   #19

Thumbs up

I intend too...

As it happens, I have a CAT scale 2min from my house.

Charles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
If you get a chance, take your TV/HTT combination under loaded conditions to a CAT scale for a weigh-in. The results will confirm if your WDH is properly rated and adjusted.

CAT scale how to: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3871

Apologize for drifting a little off topic.

Bob
Old 09-22-2014, 09:35 AM   #20

I used an 06 RTF to pull my 23B and it did do it but in my opinion it didn't do it well. My biggest concern was hills when i would lose 20-30 mph on an uphill in Illinois I didn't feel safe. But that is just me. I do miss driving it in the winter.