Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-03-2014, 08:24 PM   #1

How do length and weight affect towing?

I would like some advice on what to expect before I make my first travel trailer purchase.
As I mentioned in a previous post, I drive a 2013 F150 Ecoboost crew cab. I have been looking at trailers for over a year now and I'm pretty much down to two choices that are very different, the White Hawk 28DSBH(32' and 6000lbs dry) and the Hybrid X23B(24' and 4000lbs dry). I see advantages and disadvantages to both types. I love the White Hawk for its interior space and I think it will give me a longer camping season. But, I'm intimidated by the length. I love the hybrid because of its smaller size and I think it will allow me to camp more remotely. But, it doesn't have the amenities of the White Hawk or as long of a camping season.
So my question is, how will these two units differ while being towed and backed up? Maybe that will help guide my choice. Is a difference of 8' substantial? Is a difference of 2000lbs substantial?
Thank You!

12VOLTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:09 PM   #2

I recently just made the move to a X23B and cut 10 foot off my trailer and about 4,000 pounds. You are correct with the differences between the size/type of camper. It really depends on where you will be camping and what you plan to do when you get there. My TV is a Diesel, so weight was not much of a concern with either camper, but the extra 10 foot of drag was a large difference. We were out in the early spring for our first trip with the X23B and it got down in the upper 30s at night, no major difference when comparing the larger TT. My wife and daughter are not completely convinced on the smaller trailer for fewer amenities. We can now camp just about anywhere we want to, with the larger TT our choices were usually reduced by half due to the larger size. I'm glad we downsized and enjoy the tent feel of the hybrid.

Hope this helps & good luck

Old 06-03-2014, 09:19 PM   #3

WVCamper,
I am told that I should get an enclosed underbelly if I plan on early spring or late fall camping. Does your unit have this feature?
Old 06-03-2014, 09:29 PM   #4

It does, we ordered ours and I believe we paid about $200 for it. Not sure it adds any insulation but I felt like it may add something along with reduced drag and less opportunity for critters to get in. We camp in early April and up until November where it gets fairly cold at night, heated mattresses are a big plus! Heated mattresses pads were another option we got with our X23B, very nice.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:12 PM   #5

When we had the F150 Ecoboost shown in my sig, we originally had a Coachmen Freedom Express 230BH LTZ (26'11" nose to tail, 3800 lb empty) and went to the White Hawk 28DSBH. I felt that there wasn't a significant difference in the backing or driving, other than the trailer balance needs to be better watched. The White Hawk tended to sway a more easily if I didn't load it carefully. A good hitch with built-in sway control is a must with the White Hawk.

I didn't see the trim level of your F150 and if it had the Max Tow or HD, but a visit to the CAT Scale is a definite must. Get the weights and your hitch dialed in and you'll love how the Ecoboost pulls that trailer.

The only reason I moved to the diesel is because I tend to travel over the mountains, and the Ecoboost didn't do too well in engine braking.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:36 PM   #6

I believe the extra weight will be more substantial than the extra length. Towing completely flat land is one thing. Any sort of hills are a totally different story.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:41 AM   #7

Milw156, my Ecoboost does NOT have max tow and has the 3.55 axle. Specs say it should pull about 9500lbs but the payload is only 1361lbs. I know it will tow the White Hawk, but it will be close on payload if not over. I'm a newbie to towing and I am hesitant about that. Also, I'm not a huge fan of crowded camp sites. I kind of like the idea of being able to get to more out of the way spots. I come from a tent and backpacking background... I'm starting to like this 'boondocking' thing I'm reading about!
Old 06-04-2014, 08:33 AM   #8

I went thru the same exact decision last year.
I ended up with the whitehawk, my wife fell in love with it instantly.
I could barely get her to look at the x23 hybrid.
We had a small hybrid before and jumping up to the whitehawk added more stress to the driving if it wasnt loaded well or if I was on highways with alot of large trucks.
As someone mentioned earlier better sway control is a must for the whitehawk.
This year I upgraded to a Reese Dual cam WDH and added Timbren SES and Rancho 9000 shocks to the rear to help control the 'bounce' in the rear.
On my test drive the truck felt better but I havent gone up I95 yet, the source of my stress driving.
I think you'll enjoy both but be prepared to make modification/adjustments to your truck with the Whitehawk.
Good luck!

Previous camper-2010 Starcraft Travel Star Sport 175RK
Previous TV-2008 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew 4x4
NHcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:36 AM   #9

I tow a whitehawk 27DSRL with my standard 3.55/w tow package ecoboost... scales out and tows great.
I agree engine braking could be better.. but not to the point where I feel it's a major problem.
I do have the engine tuned & feel these trucks are way better when running them that way.. Ford could have done better.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:42 AM   #10

I wouldn't be intimidated by the length & weight. With the proper WD Hitch & Sway control, you probably won't see much difference. I've found my 30' Eagle is much easier to back up than my old 18 footer. It comes into the view of your mirrors sooner, so you can make steering corrections sooner than on the shorter trailer. Sure, you might not be able to fit into every remote campsite with a bigger trailer, but there are still many available that will accommodate one. The Hawk also has larger water & waste tanks, which would be important for boondocking. Camping in early spring & late fall are important to me (think hunting seasons), so I ruled out a hybrid rather quickly just based on heat retention.

If you determine your Eco can pull it, I'd go with the White Hawk. JMHO!