Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-04-2015, 07:14 AM   #21

EB on our Duramax is like nonskid braking systems. Like others have said, it will hold speed on a long steep downgrade pulling a heavy trailer without use of your regular brakes. The tow mode has to be engaged for the EB to function. One of the best features of owning a diesel [But not the only one].
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:27 PM   #22

I have the 2500 Ram with a manual transmission and the exhaust brake is awesome, the greater the load, the greater the effect. I use it everyday even when not towing, I use it as my primary braking method and my foot brake to come to a complete stop.

Just some history on the engine brakes, the "Jake brake" was invented by Cummins in their semi truck engines, they adapted the exhaust brake for use in the Ram Cummins engines.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 04:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
love my exhaust break on my dodge:

11,000lb 5er pushing me downhill from the continental divide in colorado ( eisenhower tunnel at the top is at 11,200 feet )

7 mile , 7% grade down

touched the brakes once or twice to force the transmission to downshift, but in tow mode and exhause brake engaged, it held the down hill speed at 45mph the whole way..... Not using service brakes at all!

I mean - wow, what a machine!

I can only imagine what the guy behind was thinking, not seeing my brake lights.
x2 !!

I keep my exhaust brake on as a matter of habit - regardless of whether I'm towing or not. it will slow the truck down whenever my foot is off the gas (and engine rpm is above 1100).

my first experience with the trailer decending Blewit pass (WA cascades). Winding two-lane mountain road. With the EB and transmission in tow/haul, the truck maintained under 55mph without any braking input.

(w/dodge, tow/haul mode changes transmission shift points and torque converter lockup mode).

there is a pretty steep city hill near my house. I can slow to 15mph by the time I get to the bottom with out touching the brake.

Tim
2010 ram 2500 CCLB
2008 26BHS.
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:45 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpolsin View Post
there is a pretty steep city hill near my house. I can slow to 15mph by the time I get to the bottom with out touching the brake.
Same with me, hill by house-wise, and I'd love my Pacbrake holding to 15. But it breaks off at 19 and I have to use the brake as that's too fast for the mining trail quality road there.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:45 PM   #25

The E/B on my F250 works great.
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:18 PM   #26

Mine is amazing!
Old 08-08-2015, 11:13 AM   #27

I recently test drove a Ram, Chevy and Ford. All with engine brakes. Only the Chevy sales person knew what it was.

The Ford guy kinda knew.

The Ram guy thought it was a button for "some emissions thing".
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 01:00 PM   #28

Ha... what are the odds that a salesman doesn't know his rear end from his elbow??? I make it a point to research anything that I am going to buy and knowing every detail about it. When looking at trucks recently, we encountered a LOT of uninformed salesmen. From options they claimed existed or didn't exist to technology that they completely misunderstood... it was mildly comical.

What is sad though is that a lot of buyers don't know anything about what they are getting and rely on this misinformation to make an "educated" decision. I learned a long time ago not to rely on advice from someone that stands to make money from my decision, but many people don't follow that rule.

OP, I've played with my 2015 Ram 2500 exhaust brake while driving around town. Its effective, but I wasn't blown away by it. Took it out camping last week and it is a totally different beast with 9K lbs of trailer behind you. That was on relatively flat ground too. I'm looking forward to hitting some grades when we go fall camping and seeing what this sucker will do!

My 2500 is rated to tow 17K lbs... so I am towing about HALF what it was intended for.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote