Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #1

How many of us towing 5W with 1/2 Ton?

there 's a lot of talk on forums about towing 5th wheel
With half-ton trucks but it's all over the place. I'm sure I'm
Not the only one looking for answers so I thought I'd
Start a thread so that we could compare our experiences with such combos.
How many of us towing 5W with 1/2 Ton?
Which TT and TT?
Positive or negative experience with combo unit?
Future plans?
https://3dogsandacamper.tumblr.com
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #2

It's strange to see this thread because just today I was thinking of starting one. While on a recent long trip, I ran into a number of other campers who were pulling 5'vers with 1/2 ton trucks. Many of the manufacturers now are also building these units specifically for 1/2 tons.

I've been thinking about it and I've even looked at a few of the lightweights to get an idea of pin weights, GVWRs, layouts, etc.

There are a number of these units hovering around 1k lbs pin weight which should be very doable with the right TT.

How are you doing staying within the weight limits for your TT?

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #3

I see RV.NET started the same thread as well...
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #4

The 2012 Silverado weight distributing and fifth wheel trailer weight capabilities are almost identical. Maximum tongue weight WD 1100 lbs & fifth wheel 1500 lbs. I'd need a fifth wheel with a GTW of 8200 lbs or less. I wouldn't expect to see a lot of product with that number.
mrnoyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #5

Lightest I've seen so far are the iGo G27RK-5 and R27RL-5 both of which have GVWRs of under 8k#. See www.GoiGoRV.com for specs.

Perhaps someone can educate me but isn't the tongue weight limit a function of the hitch's capability with tow behinds but payload capability is what determines how much weight you could handle with a 5th wheel?

For instance with my truck, my towing limit (determined by hitch) is 11.3k lbs but the payload on the same truck is 2,450 lbs. If I were to find a suitable unit that fits the weight limits of the payload, GVWR, GCVWR, GAWR, etc., I would think I would be ok. Am I wrong?

Old 07-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
I see RV.NET started the same thread as well...
You are right, I did. A little obessed about this lol
Getting the Superlite HT 23.5 tomorrow and guess what the first thing I do with it? Go to the scales and fret about the weight until I take it out camping and see
That it's all going to be ok.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoyb View Post
The 2012 Silverado weight distributing and fifth wheel trailer weight capabilities are almost identical. Maximum tongue weight WD 1100 lbs & fifth wheel 1500 lbs. I'd need a fifth wheel with a GTW of 8200 lbs or less. I wouldn't expect to see a lot of product with that number.
The Jayco eagle superlite 23.5 is 5900 lbs dry and 1149 lbs hith
. Think gross is around 9000
Old 07-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quahog View Post
Lightest I've seen so far are the iGo G27RK-5 and R27RL-5 both of which have GVWRs of under 8k#. See www.GoiGoRV.com for specs.

Perhaps someone can educate me but isn't the tongue weight limit a function of the hitch's capability with tow behinds but payload capability is what determines how much weight you could handle with a 5th wheel?

For instance with my truck, my towing limit (determined by hitch) is 11.3k lbs but the payload on the same truck is 2,450 lbs. If I were to find a suitable unit that fits the weight limits of the payload, GVWR, GCVWR, GAWR, etc., I would think I would be ok. Am I wrong?
This is the type of question I was expecting when I started this thread.
I find it all complicated.
I wonder how many people towing TT and 5W read these forums and are really informed about the weights. On the same token, if most of us half ton owners with fifth wheels are over the rear axle, i am cpretty sure there is a large ratio of 3/4 ton trucks also overloaded on the axle. Just sayin'
Old 07-04-2012, 10:59 PM   #9

I know my folks were overloaded on the pin - 1950 was what the truck could take and the dry pin was like 2500 according to the specs. I don't even want to think about what it was loaded. I bought their 3/4 and they bought a 1T dually. Happy campers all around

-Chak

My Write-up on managing 12V and batteries
LED Bulbs and what I did
Chakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #10

Even the lowest dry hitch weights would consume most of the payload capacity of my TV. I knew there was a reason I didn't look at 5th wheels.
mrnoyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:17 PM   #11

Pulled our Jayco 1998 Jayco 223 5th wheel for 7 yrs behind our F150 short bed 1/2 ton.
Coast to to coast, up hills, down hills, and around the curves. Never an issue!
LBL 1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:20 AM   #12

While on vacation I saw a number of 5th's being pulled by an F150. Most notable was a 351MKTS or 351RLTS being pulled by a newer F150. I remember thinking to myself that I got a Superlite mainly because I only have an F250 Diesel. I am not a weight cop, but a larger 5th being pulled by an F150 doesn't seem right to me.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:25 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boubou View Post
there 's a lot of talk on forums about towing 5th wheel
With half-ton trucks but it's all over the place.....snip
IMO that's because some folks believe in using TV & FW manufactures specified weight limits, and others don't (which is ok as well).

When one uses the manufactures weight limits and also thinks in terms of a "loaded" TV, FW, and pin weight, IMO the answer is pretty simple when looking at most 1/2 tons. The new F150 Ecoboost with the offered tow package has an attractive payload capacity, but even it has it's limits with many "loaded" FW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boubou View Post
snip.......Future plans?
A FW isn't in my immediate plans, but if one was I would not be using my existing 2500HD 6.0L/4.10...., but then I'm one of those guys that believes working within specified weight limits is the way to go (and I tend to load on the heavy side).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quahog View Post
snip...... isn't the tongue weight limit a function of the hitch's capability with tow behinds but payload capability is what determines how much weight you could handle with a 5th wheel?.....snip
Mike,

In many cases a TV's OEM receiver weight carrying and WD mode weight limits are the weakest link, thus the limiting factor. But in many of the same case upgrading the TV's receiver may allow for a heavier TT and tongue weight, but now one of the TV's weight limits (payload, GVWR, GCVWR, GAWR, etc.) may become the limiting factor. Remember, tongue weight is subtracted from the TV's payload capacity.

It's always good to check the owners manual for any "small print" that may state that upgrading an OEM receiver will void the warranty......, in the event that the rear frame mounting area isn't designed for the heavier weights.

Your correct that a TV's payload capacity is directly associated to a FW's loaded pin weight. The recommend loaded pin weight range is 15% to 25% (many use 20%) of the loaded FW weight. But of course the FW's loaded weight ideally should be within the TV's remaining specified weight limits.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyon View Post
While on vacation I saw a number of 5th's being pulled by an F150. Most notable was a 351MKTS

Length 39'6"
Hitch Weight 2,225 lbs
Dry Weight 11,175 lbs
Slides 3
or 351RLTS

being pulled by a newer F150. I remember thinking to myself that I got a Superlite mainly because I only have an F250 Diesel. I am not a weight cop, but a larger 5th being pulled by an F150 doesn't seem right to me.
I tow the Eagle Superlite HT 23.5
Length: 25 ft 8 in
Hitch Weight 1159 lbs
Dry Weight: 5,875 lbs
with a 1/2 ton and power is certainly not an issue, tows very well.
But even with the heavy payload capacity of the F150, the 351MKTS or RLTS is wayyyyyy up there in weight! that is PAST pushing the limit of the truck. I wonder how he evens gets the thing moving at all.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:52 PM   #16

I wonder how he would stop, or an emergency maneuver.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:15 PM   #17

I was camped to a very nice family this weekend, however, I was quite suprised to learn that he was towing with a V6 Dodge Ram Quad cab. My first thought was how even even got there, due to the fact that the roads to the campground had quite a few hills with a high " pucker" factor, IMHo. Granted it was an older model without a slide and may have been just over the GVWR, but i would think at a minimum that is pushing the limits, and increasing the wear & tear on the TV.

2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH

Reese Pro Series WDH w/ sway control 1000#
Mikey72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey72 View Post
I was camped to a very nice family this weekend, however, I was quite suprised to learn that he was towing with a V6 Dodge Ram Quad cab. My first thought was how even even got there, due to the fact that the roads to the campground had quite a few hills with a high " pucker" factor, IMHo. Granted it was an older model without a slide and may have been just over the GVWR, but i would think at a minimum that is pushing the limits, and increasing the wear & tear on the TV.
Why would anybody purchase a v-6 in a full size truck?? And why would anyone purchase the little trucks like Rangers and Dakota? What's the point?

Long story short, I (40 something woman) go to the Dodge dealership and ask to see trucks I should get for towing a TT. The guy takes me to the Rams with the Hemi but does not talk about 3/4 ton and axle ratio or tires etc...
I blame myself for trusting what he said and not researching more but it's a big truck and has tons of power and glory lol
So it pulls the little Eagle (eagle super lite HT 23.5) no problem but if given the choice at the time, I would have bought the 3/4 ton.
So far, very happy with pulling power and all. I will keep using it until I see it's not enough, then, I will trade it in, but if all is well and truck is pulling and stopping well, we'll keep towing the little Eagle with it.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:21 PM   #19

Boubou, personally I have had both a Ranger and currently have a Dakota. The Ranger fit my needs when I was in my 20’s. I camped a lot (backpacking & canoeing) and single. It got 29 mpg on a regular basis. Ford did not recommend any towing with mine as it was a 4 cylinder with dual ignition (8 plugs). Great truck with lots of power, but I did not buy it to pull a trailer. My Dakota has the worst configuration for towing capacity (Quad cab, 4x4). It has a tow capacity of 5700 lbs. A two wheel drive regular cab with a tow package has a tow capacity of 7000 lbs. When I bought it, it fit my needs and a lot more, it easily pulls both the utility & canoe trailers. We had the intensions to purchase a popup, but never found one we liked. We now pull our hybrid with easy. It is more than enough truck for our needs. I have no desire ever to purchase and pull one of the big trailers. Another selling point for us; the Dakota barely fits in our very low height, short garage. I have to admit I have seen what I thought was small trucks and SUVs pulling trailers that I thought were too big for them.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:44 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Mike,

In many cases a TV's OEM receiver weight carrying and WD mode weight limits are the weakest link, thus the limiting factor. But in many of the same case upgrading the TV's receiver may allow for a heavier TT and tongue weight, but now one of the TV's weight limits (payload, GVWR, GCVWR, GAWR, etc.) may become the limiting factor. Remember, tongue weight is subtracted from the TV's payload capacity.
Thanks, Bob... that makes perfect sense.

[snip]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Your correct that a TV's payload capacity is directly associated to a FW's loaded pin weight. The recommend loaded pin weight range is 15% to 25% (many use 20%) of the loaded FW weight. But of course the FW's loaded weight ideally should be within the TV's remaining specified weight limits.

Bob
I would assume you're referring to the TV's GCVWR and GAWRs when you say "the TV's remaining specified weight limits." That sounds right. You'd also have to factor in the weight of the FW hitch since that probably adds a couple hundred pounds as well. If we're on the same page, it sounds like many of the HT models of FW's today potentially fall within the weight limits of current 1500 model trucks.

So I guess the most compelling reason for going to a FW vs. a TT is that it makes for an easier or more stable tow. Otherwise the floorplans and amenities seem about the same between FWs and TTs... or am I missing something?