Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-04-2016, 04:48 PM   #21

How many use a Jeep Wrangler unlimited as a TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
Just my two cents on this. Stand by. I am harsh and blunt. No offense intended just reality.

What you are seeking is not safe.

Though putting it bluntly, you have gone out of your way to call on the examples of what you have done to upgrade your jeep's capabilities. Have you factored in what the additional weight of the components you have added take away from the towing and hauling capabilities BEFORE they actually increase the capabilities of the Jeep? While several others here have questioned the comparison and upgrades. So, it seems, you have made up your mind, you are merely just looking for an opinion which agrees with your hopes and desires.

I recently made a long trip playing tag with a gentlemen who was towing an RPod with a 4 door Rubicon (which has a longer wheel base than the standard two door wrangler). He was clearly nose high and squating heavily on the rear end of the jeep and hitch low on the trailer. I noticed the trailer wobbling/whipping back and forth several times while I was following him. This made me (and noticeably several other drivers) nervous. Many people couldn't wait to get around him and away from him. It is only a matter of time before that trailer whips the Jeep off the road.

At a restroom stop, I struck up a conversation and just like I am doing here, I was pretty blunt. He fired back with the extended capabilities of the Rubicon. I pointed out, those capabilities are for the off roading the vehicle is designed for and the additions take away from the cargo and tow capabilities of the Jeep (much like the Dodge Power Wagon is classified as a 3/4 ton however, the power wagon doesn't have as much cargo hauling and towing capability of the standard 3/4 ton due to the components added for the increased off road capability). Of note in this instance, was that the gentlemen was not utilizing a weight distribution hitch; which I recommend he consider using, while cautioning that the additional weight of the WDH hitch adds still more to the tongue weight.

Do what you will and what you feel comfortable with. Keep in mind and be watchful of the traffic around you. Watch for people who drop a ways back to stay away from you, or some who seem to ride for short times at the back corner of your trailer and then pass you quickly, even when there is no need to pass quickly (such as having an open lane next to you). Or people who seem to stare at your load out as they go by you. These could be indicators of things which are unsafe. Just because you feel like you can handle it, does not make it so.

Thank you. I am not looking for an opinion in which agrees with me I am asking for personal experience like your story of the rubicon. My Jeep is a 4dr which has a higher tow rating then the 2dr and far from stock. I have completely upgraded suspension front and rear along with air bags to keep from being nose high and the only weight gain I achieved from the modifications are the tires which are unspung weight and do not effect the weight above the suspension but the shocks which are also upgraded and adjustable.

I am going to go with some type of anti sway/WDH which is why I am again asking for personally experience I have used WDH's in the past with much larger TT's and a 1ton dually along with gooseneck running Hot shots and Triple axel fifth wheel toy haulers. All which have completely different characteristics.

I appreciate your $0.02 and that's why I am a member of this forum. But until you have driven my Jeep or pulled a hummingbird or either you can only attest to your experience which I am here to listen to and take in to my next TT.

And yes a stock rubicon is great off-road and that is what is designed for which is why I am building my Jeep in to a TV more then off-roading because the wife and I just want something small or else I would have bought another 34+ft fifth wheel to pull behind my 3/4 ton Cummins.

And I appreciate you being blunt. Better then Lying to some one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chickeneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:32 PM   #22

Our 17RK comes off the production line on 11/2, so hopefully soon I can tell you how it pulls behind a 2012 FJ Cruiser.

The FJ doesn't dimensionally or drivetrain wise appear to be greater than the JK, but it's tow capacity rating is 5,000 lbs / 500 lb TW and a 1,275 lb payload rating.

I add 10-ply, E-rated Cooper tires, aux. transmission cooler, Prodigy P4 brake controller, tow mirror extensions, rear TT camera, rear air bags and will be running an Andersen No-Sway WD hitch. I think we'll be close to capacity since the 17RK has a dry weight of 2,910 lbs / 325 lb TW and a GVWR of 3,750 lbs.

On paper everything appears to work, close, but works. I'm assuming a worse case TW of around 425 lbs loaded. By the time we add in TW, occupants, kayaks, dogs, etc. I'd say we will be close to maxing out the payload rating.
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:55 PM   #23

Hi Chickeneye,

While I have no experience towing the Hummingbird model, I have done quite a bit of towing with a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.

Based off of your pictures and description of mods, it sounds like our Jeeps are similarly equipped: suspension lift, full rear bumper with integrated class 3 hitch, brake controller, 35" tires, 4.56 gearing, etc. If anything I ran a more loaded down Jeep than what I saw in your pictures - front bumper, winch, heavy rock rails, recovery gear, etc. If your Jeep is pre 2012 with the 3.8, I would not even bother trying. The 3.6 on the other hand is a better but not ideal engine for the task.

With all that being said, I towed a Forest River High Wall camper that weighed in at 3600 lbs loaded and about 350 on the hitch. The Jeep actually towed the camper with no issues at all throughout the South East on flatter terrain. We took one trip to the mountains and decided that would be the last as the Jeep did not handle the steep grades well.

The biggest problem was knowing that I was at and/or exceeding the manufacturers capacity with only a lightly loaded camper. I chose not to load any cargo or have any other passengers in the Jeep. This was a huge inconvenience for the family with us taking 2 vehicles on each trip.

An F150 solved all of my concerns and has proven to be a much better solution for towing and family comfort.
RoughingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:52 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughingIt View Post
Hi Chickeneye,

While I have no experience towing the Hummingbird model, I have done quite a bit of towing with a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.

Based off of your pictures and description of mods, it sounds like our Jeeps are similarly equipped: suspension lift, full rear bumper with integrated class 3 hitch, brake controller, 35" tires, 4.56 gearing, etc. If anything I ran a more loaded down Jeep than what I saw in your pictures - front bumper, winch, heavy rock rails, recovery gear, etc. If your Jeep is pre 2012 with the 3.8, I would not even bother trying. The 3.6 on the other hand is a better but not ideal engine for the task.

With all that being said, I towed a Forest River High Wall camper that weighed in at 3600 lbs loaded and about 350 on the hitch. The Jeep actually towed the camper with no issues at all throughout the South East on flatter terrain. We took one trip to the mountains and decided that would be the last as the Jeep did not handle the steep grades well.

The biggest problem was knowing that I was at and/or exceeding the manufacturers capacity with only a lightly loaded camper. I chose not to load any cargo or have any other passengers in the Jeep. This was a huge inconvenience for the family with us taking 2 vehicles on each trip.

An F150 solved all of my concerns and has proven to be a much better solution for towing and family comfort.

Thank you. Yeah I am still running the stock front end and no other added extra weight on the Jeep other then what you see in the picture. My JKU is a 2014 with the newer Penstar motor plus I am running a manual transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2016, 06:05 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post
Our 17RK comes off the production line on 11/2, so hopefully soon I can tell you how it pulls behind a 2012 FJ Cruiser.

The FJ doesn't dimensionally or drivetrain wise appear to be greater than the JK, but it's tow capacity rating is 5,000 lbs / 500 lb TW and a 1,275 lb payload rating.

I add 10-ply, E-rated Cooper tires, aux. transmission cooler, Prodigy P4 brake controller, tow mirror extensions, rear TT camera, rear air bags and will be running an Andersen No-Sway WD hitch. I think we'll be close to capacity since the 17RK has a dry weight of 2,910 lbs / 325 lb TW and a GVWR of 3,750 lbs.

On paper everything appears to work, close, but works. I'm assuming a worse case TW of around 425 lbs loaded. By the time we add in TW, occupants, kayaks, dogs, etc. I'd say we will be close to maxing out the payload rating.
Keep in mind that the payload is the additional weight that can be carried by both axles, the tongue adds it's weight to the rear. The WDH will "move" some weight back to the front.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:10 PM   #26

Its not a matter of if it can do it, its more a matter of respect and safety. The people and their families driving on the same roads as you deserve to get from point a to point b without having their lives endangered by the Lil Red Jeep That Could...I see vehicles towing TT all the time, every trip I take that just are not in reality the best choice to tow with. Make it simple, be conscientious and tow with your pick up truck, please...
Old 10-05-2016, 07:22 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by popjim52 View Post
Its not a matter of if it can do it, its more a matter of respect and safety. The people and their families driving on the same roads as you deserve to get from point a to point b without having their lives endangered by the Lil Red Jeep That Could...I see vehicles towing TT all the time, every trip I take that just are not in reality the best choice to tow with. Make it simple, be conscientious and tow with your pick up truck, please...

Have you driven a 4 door Jeep Wrangler? Have you pulled a TT with a Jeep Wrangler? I'm assuming not. Which is why I am asking people for PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. So I'm trying to pull a 2800lb trailer with a 4700lb TV (both dry/unloaded) and it's not safe. I'm not a new guy to TT's or pulling trailers I grew up on a farm hauling trailers that were way illegal with the truck noes high and rear suspension riding on the bump stop and as I've said before I have pulled many of trailers different set ups.

And if you read earlier I am not going to put my family in a dangerous situation if I don't feel it's safe I won't drive it, I have a 3/4 ton diesel I can use too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2016, 07:28 PM   #28

I would also question the tranny handling this load; if available on this manual shift consider adding an additional cooler to it. And leave the mother in law behind (Click n Clack).
Old 10-05-2016, 07:38 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
I would also question the tranny handling this load; if available on this manual shift consider adding an additional cooler to it. And leave the mother in law behind (Click n Clack).

LoL I'm lucky the mother in law lives about 18hr away and this TT is just the wife, newborn and I. And I have not seen a trans cooler for this manual trans but I am researching.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk