Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-30-2016, 03:40 PM   #1

How many use a Jeep Wrangler unlimited as a TV

Hey everyone just curious if anyone pulls an ultra light or hybrid or new Hummingbird with a Jeep Wrangler 4dr. I am going to attempt to pull my new Hummingbird 17RB when it gets here with my Jeep Wrangler. I've modified my Jeep. Suspension lift with air bags for extra weight support in the rear because Jeep suspension is know for being soft. I've lowered the gearing in it to comp also and running a manual transmission.

Just curious on everyone's two cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chickeneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:44 PM   #2
Site Team

Do you have any interest in knowing the towing capabilities of the jeep or the weight of the rig?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Do you have any interest in knowing the towing capabilities of the jeep or the weight of the rig?

The jeep stock has tow rating of 3500. The weight of the jeep stock is 4700 mine as it sits is 5050-5100 I've replaced the stock tow hitch for a full replacement bumper rated as a class III. Tongue weight is in the 400's

Old 09-30-2016, 04:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post

I'm just curious if anyone has towed a TT in the 3000lb range with a Jeep. I have a 99 Dodge 3/4 Cummings which is overkill for my Hummingbird and I prefer to tow with the Jeep which is what I Purchased it for.

Old 09-30-2016, 05:38 PM   #5
Site Team

Hopefully someone has done this and will chime in.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:44 PM   #6

Hope so. If not I will document my experience once my Hummingbird is delivered.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:01 PM   #7

I can't give you a direct experience story but will chime in with an opinion. My expectation is you will Max the rear axle with a TT weight of about half of the advertised max tow number, or about 1800# GVW on the TT. The bags will not increase your load capacity but will help level an overloaded TV. I'd expect a tongue weight of appx 230# which is well within the capacity of your new bumper receiver. The new bumper and bags will make your rig appear normal but the weight may stress your brakes and drive train.
Not trying to be the voice of doom, just spouting an opinion.
Please post your towing results after a trip or two. I'd also suggest a visit to a scale to get your current axle weights which will help you estimate how much you can tow. After you take possession, the scale will let you know if you are in/out of axle max weights (GAW/RAWR).
The CAT Scale is your friend.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
I can't give you a direct experience story but will chime in with an opinion. My expectation is you will Max the rear axle with a TT weight of about half of the advertised max tow number, or about 1800# GVW on the TT. The bags will not increase your load capacity but will help level an overloaded TV. I'd expect a tongue weight of appx 230# which is well within the capacity of your new bumper receiver. The new bumper and bags will make your rig appear normal but the weight may stress your brakes and drive train.
Not trying to be the voice of doom, just spouting an opinion.
Please post your towing results after a trip or two. I'd also suggest a visit to a scale to get your current axle weights which will help you estimate how much you can tow. After you take possession, the scale will let you know if you are in/out of axle max weights (GAW/RAWR).
The CAT Scale is your friend.

Thank you I appreciate your opinion. I agree brakes may be an issue. I am in the process of upgrading to larger rotor and better pistons. The rear axel is a Dana 44 which is a half ton axel and rated GAWR 3500lbs so I don't see that being an issue pulling the Hummingbird. And yeah the airbags are to level out the TV because I've weighed it down with about 450lbs on a receiver rack and it put me a little nose high. I've pulled heavier trailers with similar suv's and not had an issue other then taxing the auto transmissions. I have pulled small trailers with my Jeep and buddy of mine has been pulling one of the all hard pop ups with his jeep for a while and he has larger tires then I do and even lower gearing then me.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:19 AM   #9

I have a 2015 JKU Rubicon Ill be towing the same camper with. I haven't done it yet I have the camper at home, but brought it home with my pick up. As soon as I pull it Ill chime back in.
rkboyer911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkboyer911 View Post
I have a 2015 JKU Rubicon Ill be towing the same camper with. I haven't done it yet I have the camper at home, but brought it home with my pick up. As soon as I pull it Ill chime back in.

Awesome. I can't wait for mine to get here. Can't wait to see how it pulls. What brake controller are you using?

Old 10-02-2016, 11:38 AM   #11

Still in the air on that
Old 10-03-2016, 10:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkboyer911 View Post
Still in the air on that

I just wired mine and went with the Tekonsha P3.. I really like it because I can remove it and put it in my Dodge Ram 3/4 ton and it can save the settings for multiple trailers and drivers. $120 on Amazon and there is a YouTube video on how to install in a 2014 JKU super easy took me about 6 hours because I was by myself in my drive way and I ran all new separate wiring with circuit breakers.

Tekonsha 90195 P3 Electronic Brake Control https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P17NXQ..._.nO8xbZFXS3MJ

https://youtu.be/-961Bza-tQU

Old 10-03-2016, 11:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickeneye View Post
Thank you I appreciate your opinion. I agree brakes may be an issue. I am in the process of upgrading to larger rotor and better pistons. The rear axel is a Dana 44 which is a half ton axel and rated GAWR 3500lbs so I don't see that being an issue pulling the Hummingbird. And yeah the airbags are to level out the TV because I've weighed it down with about 450lbs on a receiver rack and it put me a little nose high. I've pulled heavier trailers with similar suv's and not had an issue other then taxing the auto transmissions. I have pulled small trailers with my Jeep and buddy of mine has been pulling one of the all hard pop ups with his jeep for a while and he has larger tires then I do and even lower gearing then me.

I read the earlier comments, but the one that jumps out is the 3500 lb limit that Jeep puts on the vehicle. You likely cannot change that much with a heavy bumper, air springs, gearing and brakes. From my perspective here, as a guy who had earlier in my life driven an overloaded Jeep CJ5 with a race car on the trailer behind it, was that you might be asking a bit much from the Jeep. Then I saw the picture you posted, with the hitch extension and what appears to be at least several hundred pounds of gear loaded on the back end of the Jeep. There's your max tongue weight right in that picture.

There's more to it than having too much weight for the drivetrain and brakes. At some point, the load starts driving the Jeep, and can easily overcome any illusion of control the driver may have. That is magnified by the long extension, which gives the potentially wayward load far more leverage over the tow vehicle. If that thing starts swaying, Jimmie Johnson couldn't haul it back in.

Think downhill on a hot day, very windy road, with unexpected dust and gravel across the pavement from yesterday's rain. While turning, hit the brakes to scrub off that last little bit of speed before the sharpest part of the turn. The trailer and the load on the back of the Jeep want to keep going straight, and when your rear wheels start to lose traction, that's exactly what they do.

I would seriously think twice about doing this.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustdevil View Post
I read the earlier comments, but the one that jumps out is the 3500 lb limit that Jeep puts on the vehicle. You likely cannot change that much with a heavy bumper, air springs, gearing and brakes. From my perspective here, as a guy who had earlier in my life driven an overloaded Jeep CJ5 with a race car on the trailer behind it, was that you might be asking a bit much from the Jeep. Then I saw the picture you posted, with the hitch extension and what appears to be at least several hundred pounds of gear loaded on the back end of the Jeep. There's your max tongue weight right in that picture.

There's more to it than having too much weight for the drivetrain and brakes. At some point, the load starts driving the Jeep, and can easily overcome any illusion of control the driver may have. That is magnified by the long extension, which gives the potentially wayward load far more leverage over the tow vehicle. If that thing starts swaying, Jimmie Johnson couldn't haul it back in.

Think downhill on a hot day, very windy road, with unexpected dust and gravel across the pavement from yesterday's rain. While turning, hit the brakes to scrub off that last little bit of speed before the sharpest part of the turn. The trailer and the load on the back of the Jeep want to keep going straight, and when your rear wheels start to lose traction, that's exactly what they do.

I would seriously think twice about doing this.

Agreed but the Jeep Grand Cherokee has a tow rating of 5000 lbs with the same brakes and motor/ auto transmission and has a tow rating up to 7200 lbs with certain options. both weigh about the same and dimensions are within a few inches of each other. GC weighs about 100lbs more same 4.6l 285 penstar which has a 5000lb towing capacity unless you go with the big V8 which is where you get the 7200 lbs This is not my first time towing TT's I hauled Propane tanks and stacked trailers all over the country. And besides if the Jeep doesn't work I have the 3/4 ton Cummins that will over kill the little camper. I have talked to several people that have pulled the Hummingbird with smaller under powered suv's and van's. And while attempting to pull the trailer I won't have the racks on the back of the Jeep. I do fully plan on weighing the Jeep as it sits with the wife and I along with stuff packed in to the Jeep and the trailer before I decide to take off anywhere. I am not going to put my family in a situation if I don't think it's safe.

Old 10-03-2016, 12:24 PM   #15

Comparison with the Grand Cherokee really doesn't help, but I see your point. Manufacturers rate tow capacity for a whole range of reasons, and just changing components around doesn't address all of them. I'd just be very cautious. Sounds like you're eliminating some of the weak links in the chain.

Losing the hitch extension is light years ahead of where this was going. Assuming you're right around the limits of the Jeep, it certainly reduces the concern. I just would never offer a recommendation that anyone push the limits. Those are there for reasons we don't always know. But the Engineers who work for Jeep do.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustdevil View Post
Comparison with the Grand Cherokee really doesn't help, but I see your point. Manufacturers rate tow capacity for a whole range of reasons, and just changing components around doesn't address all of them. I'd just be very cautious. Sounds like you're eliminating some of the weak links in the chain.

Losing the hitch extension is light years ahead of where this was going. Assuming you're right around the limits of the Jeep, it certainly reduces the concern. I just would never offer a recommendation that anyone push the limits. Those are there for reasons we don't always know. But the Engineers who work for Jeep do.

Exactly. Which is why I was asking on here for people with personal experience with the same type of setup. I've talked to others who pull the Rpod and Mini drop without issue it's just Hummingbird being such a new trailer there is less people with experience with them. Which once I take delivery of mine I will test it if I do not feel safe with the setup I will let others know from personal experience. And I'm not going to push the Jeep if I do not think it can handle it. My buddy ended up putting a supercharger on his Jeep and pulled his pop up through the mountain area around red river New Mexico without issues. Here is his pop up. Which granted is an entirely different animal then the Hummingbird but the weights are very similar the trailmanor 2619 has a weight of 2780 and my Hummingbird 17rb is. 2840 both dry weights

Old 10-04-2016, 11:56 AM   #17

I have that controller in my dodge truck now. I never thought about pulling it out and being able to use it in both vehicles.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickeneye View Post
Exactly. Which is why I was asking on here for people with personal experience with the same type of setup. I've talked to others who pull the Rpod and Mini drop without issue it's just Hummingbird being such a new trailer there is less people with experience with them. Which once I take delivery of mine I will test it if I do not feel safe with the setup I will let others know from personal experience. And I'm not going to push the Jeep if I do not think it can handle it. My buddy ended up putting a supercharger on his Jeep and pulled his pop up through the mountain area around red river New Mexico without issues. Here is his pop up. Which granted is an entirely different animal then the Hummingbird but the weights are very similar the trailmanor 2619 has a weight of 2780 and my Hummingbird 17rb is. 2840 both dry weights

Interesting little trailer!

One difference to consider between that and your Hummingbird is frontal area. Many vehicles have a frontal area limitation (measured in sq ft) in addition to their tow ratings and other vehicle weight ratings. Granted, the Hummingbird has a rounded front profile, which might help with aerodynamics, but it's still something to think about. If my trailer wasn't shaped the way it is, I wouldn't need quite as much truck to tow it.

I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Interesting little trailer!

One difference to consider between that and your Hummingbird is frontal area. Many vehicles have a frontal area limitation (measured in sq ft) in addition to their tow ratings and other vehicle weight ratings. Granted, the Hummingbird has a rounded front profile, which might help with aerodynamics, but it's still something to think about. If my trailer wasn't shaped the way it is, I wouldn't need quite as much truck to tow it.

I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures!

True and my lifted jeep is about as aerodynamic as a cinder block. LoL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2016, 04:31 PM   #20

Just my two cents on this. Stand by. I am harsh and blunt. No offense intended just reality.
What you are seeking is not safe.
Though putting it bluntly, you have gone out of your way to call on the examples of what you have done to upgrade your jeep's capabilities. Have you factored in what the additional weight of the components you have added take away from the towing and hauling capabilities BEFORE they actually increase the capabilities of the Jeep? While several others here have questioned the comparison and upgrades. So, it seems, you have made up your mind, you are merely just looking for an opinion which agrees with your hopes and desires.

I recently made a long trip playing tag with a gentlemen who was towing an RPod with a 4 door Rubicon (which has a longer wheel base than the standard two door wrangler). He was clearly nose high and squating heavily on the rear end of the jeep and hitch low on the trailer. I noticed the trailer wobbling/whipping back and forth several times while I was following him. This made me (and noticeably several other drivers) nervous. Many people couldn't wait to get around him and away from him. It is only a matter of time before that trailer whips the Jeep off the road.
At a restroom stop, I struck up a conversation and just like I am doing here, I was pretty blunt. He fired back with the extended capabilities of the Rubicon. I pointed out, those capabilities are for the off roading the vehicle is designed for and the additions take away from the cargo and tow capabilities of the Jeep (much like the Dodge Power Wagon is classified as a 3/4 ton however, the power wagon doesn't have as much cargo hauling and towing capability of the standard 3/4 ton due to the components added for the increased off road capability). Of note in this instance, was that the gentlemen was not utilizing a weight distribution hitch; which I recommend he consider using, while cautioning that the additional weight of the WDH hitch adds still more to the tongue weight.
Do what you will and what you feel comfortable with. Keep in mind and be watchful of the traffic around you. Watch for people who drop a ways back to stay away from you, or some who seem to ride for short times at the back corner of your trailer and then pass you quickly, even when there is no need to pass quickly (such as having an open lane next to you). Or people who seem to stare at your load out as they go by you. These could be indicators of things which are unsafe. Just because you feel like you can handle it, does not make it so.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote