Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-30-2018, 04:01 PM   #61

Our Ram 3500 is 12 years old still cannot afford a new one!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:05 PM   #62

I bought a new truck last fall. I figured I'd order one and skip the leather, sunroof, nav, etc. Drop all the fancy features. When the price was figured out for ordering one vs what I could take off the lot the difference wasn't all that great and the trade value would be much less as nobody would want my truck when I was done with it.

So I have an LTZ with sunroof, leather, dual climate, nav, sliding rear window, all the sensors, etc etc etc. LOL
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:08 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblast523 View Post
For 2018 Ford F-150 XL SuperCrew 3.3l v-6 auto with 4wd starts at $37,504.
The 2018 F-250 XL SuperCrew 6.2l auto with 4wd starts at $43,015
The more 'frosting' you put on- or in this case 'in' the cake, the more you can 'scrape off'. Base F-150 conventional cab 6.5 ft bed starts at $27,702, advertised locally for $22,800. In the Dallas area you could probably acquire this truck for about $21,000.
Well that’s about the same price range as the Chevy’s. Too lazy to go back and read now but I could have sworn he was talking about close to $50,000 for the 150???
Cheaperrooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:24 PM   #64

He was

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheaperrooter View Post
Well that’s about the same price range as the Chevy’s. Too lazy to go back and read now but I could have sworn he was talking about close to $50,000 for the 150???

A maxed out F-150 Platinum with 'the works' is about $59,000.
I saw an F-350 dually Platinum 4x4 list on a dealer lot for $89,800, sign said you could 'buy it' for $73,505.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:43 PM   #65

New vs Old

Comparing a new vs old truck is pretty unfair. In 2008, you needed the F350 6.4L to pull 11000lbs. My 2008 5.4L F150 had a max towing capacity of 8200 lbs. Add in that there were few luxuries in older trucks. A new 2018 F150 with a 3.5L EcoBoost can pull between 10,800lbs and 13,200lbs. Along with that extra towing capacity, you get significantly better non-towing mpg, loads of technology that matches any luxury car and passenger vehicle ride quality. Pony up for the diesel 2018 F150 and get non-towing 30mpg.

Yes the price is tough to handle, but old trucks were mostly bought by workers who didn't demand all the luxuries, so they naturally cost less. If you want the inflation adjusted price, you can still get a workman truck. But even there, you still get the extra towing capacity and mpg for the same inflation adjusted price.

For me, the costs of creature comforts are a non-issue, so I will pay the price. If I buy a loaded truck every 4 or 5 years, with the trade in value taken into account, I'll be on the hook for a few grand a year until I stop towing. This is well worth it to me. Back in the day, I remember using the trailer brakes to get me 'safely' to my campsite because my rusted brake line gave out on a hard stop. Since then, I value a nice shiny new truck to get me, my family and pricey TT safely to my campsite.

As far as brand, every one is the best...just ask a fanatic truck owner or the dealer. I for one currently work as an engineer at Ford, so naturally IMO Ford is the best. I've been in a Chevy, a Dodge and a Toyota. They all seem nice when they're new. And Ford, Chevy and Toyota seem nice when they are older. But older Rams seem to need a lot of duct tape to keep the rattles at bay.

No matter what you drive or what you pull, be thankful that you can still get out there and enjoy what you are doing. I've never seen an armor car in a funeral procession (because you can't take it with you). So buy what you can afford be it for financial, for reliability or for comfort reasons. </rant>
Davejavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:22 PM   #66

That said, my list of truck owner ship is short. Began with a 1966 F-100 two-tone green, no carb or battery on an impound lot. Drove it home after scrapping parts from other cars (it had a 352 2bbl, cast iron Cruisomatic and 4.11 rear end). After figuring out mains were gone, replaced them, re-modified the shifter and put a 66 Mustang floor shift (auto) in it. Two years and a couple of tires later, traded for a 1969 F-100 Custom Cab, also two-tone green, only darker. It had a 360 auto, ps, pb, rubber, radio and about 300 lbs of red mud under it. Added an under dash air to it (Ft. Worth) Sold it in 1981 for $900.
Bought a 1979 Mitsubishi built Dodge that WOULD NOT START hot. Lived in Houston by then, so go figure. Traded for a 1980 Ram Charger that was a ROCKET with a 318, til' you got to 78mph...that's all she'd do.
Got had by shyster used car dealer in Laredo, Tx (imagine that) sold me a 1984 Bronco II 2.8 v-6 that had rear end grease for lube. Fixed it, drove it, never looked back.
Moved to Nebraska, acquired a 1986 Rust Bucket Ranger from a co-worker.
Got tired of fixing rust, traded for a 1990 Ranger XLT, it even had carpet. Twin plug 2.3l engine would not hold 60mph in 5th...that weak.
Sold outright for what I had in it.
Acquired wrecked 1992 Ranger XLT at front gate of U-Pul-It in S. Omaha. Yard offered $75, I offered double. He upped to $100, I doubled. Yard guy said, you can have it. Driveable Supercab, nice looking silver paint (where itt wasn't bent) factory alum wheels...bedliner. BONUS! Until a couple of weeks ago, Grandpa the only owner. And RUSTPROOFED! Drove it directly to auto body shop, started collecting parts, day after Christmas 2003 Bob's Body in Bellevue, Ne called, said my truck was ready. $1,200 poorer, I was happy. Pulled a trailer between Houston and Omaha three trips, last one with a Kawa Vulkan in the bed, Honda CB1000C on the trailer. 4.0l 5 speed with air and a cassette! After putting adjustable upper ball joints in her, drove that truck until 2009 and put over 60k on it. Meanwhile, 2007 bought an Aviator, used...oh wait, that's not a truck...
but I traded it for a 2007 F-150 XL 4.2l 5 speed in September 2011...with only one line on the sticker-carpet delete. Only had 7,000 miles on it, swapped even.
Bought my first tt while owning, a 2012 Jayflight SLX 185RB which lite weighed in at 2,900 lbs. Found after the fact, tow rating for the axle/engine combo I had was 2,650....No wonder I had to run in 3rd and 4th to keep 60 under it...
Anyway, traded it in Oct 2012 for a used 2009 Flex (higher tow rating) which I traded for my current F-150 XLT SCrew 2.7EB in September 2015. Now you have it...
Old 05-30-2018, 06:21 PM   #67

Researched Like Crazy...

We researched like crazy before finally settling on our purchase. We needed a truck to meet our towing needs now and in the future and one that didn't break the bank. I researched the major 3 full-size makers and found that if we didn't want break the bank on a truck we needed to go used. Research continued. Through all of the posts on towing and longevity, diesels stood out. Research narrowed. Towing capacity narrowed it a little more. I ended up buying a 2006 Ford F250 6.0 crew cab. Now before the crazy replies come, I obviously read all the stuff on these and the failure points. Once taken care of, these things are beasts and don't have all of the emissions stuff or need for DEF. So we dropped $10K on the truck and another $10K on the necessary "upgrades" or bullet proofing. So a total of $20K compared to the price of a new one was worth it for me. We have been happy with our decision and no payments makes it even better. It has enough power to pull pretty much anything we could want in the future.
Mr&MrsSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:06 PM   #68

I use to buy brand new until a few years ago. The vehicle I wanted they didn't have any on lot but had a 6 month old used one. It was $12,000 Cdn less than new. I bought and loved it. Next one was a year old Flex $15, 000 less than new.

Just bought a 2016 Ford F150 XLT Loaded .... not sure what the price in 2018 is but the original owner bought it new 1 1/2 years ago for $52,000 Cdn .... I just paid $28,000 Cdn for it. LOVE IT. I do always extend the warranty as I have lost a year of the original warranty but that only increased my price by about $3000 to cover everything.

So far all have been bought at a Ford Dealer and they look after me. All were traded in after I had them about 5 years only because I needed something else not because of any problems.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:59 PM   #69

I'm with Raspberry, I like lease trade ins! I picked up our current 2012 Tacoma Dbl. Cab Pre-Runner for $27,000, truck had 18,000 miles in it in 6 years, still had the new car smell. Picked up our passenger car, 2 years old with 25,000 miles on it and I estimate paying half of what the person who bought it new. Now days most leased vehicles come with a service package for routine maintenance. What's not to like?
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:21 PM   #70

I am a whse manager of a large construction company. We have around 1,000 trucks in the fleet. In the past we purchased Chevrolet ext cab Power widows and 4x4. For around 24k new. Now the Fords are all over 35k with same options. Plus they are falling apart we’ve had one with flaking off paint. One with a steering column that came loose and plastic cab corners are falling off due to poor adhesive 0.0 These are just the Indiana trucks. I’m not responsible for the rest of the fleet out east
lnbski3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:23 AM   #71

My 2015 Duramax was first diesel ever owned. Finding it in a crew cab 4 x 4 ( or any WT model for that matter) in the work truck model turned out to be almost impossible and had to ship it in from across country to North Carolina.

Chevy doesn’t want to put the diesel in the work truck model, only want to put them in their high class, LTZ top-of-the-line model’s so they can get $70,000 for it instead of 50k! Chevrolet is not totally stupid I guess

There were things about it I wish I had research better prior, but am still happy with it. However, I did a DEF delete and now? I am SUPER happy with it! Running an Air Dog fuel filter by pass also.

Point being is once you do these upgrades, 90% of ALL the issues you read about a diesel go bye bye And when it comes to pulling, they are still king of the road.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:26 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblast523 View Post
A maxed out F-150 Platinum with 'the works' is about $59,000.
I saw an F-350 dually Platinum 4x4 list on a dealer lot for $89,800, sign said you could 'buy it' for $73,505.

That’s just plum crazy I’m sorry. Spending that kind of money without it being a diesel or F350 is just insane to me!!!! I don’t need fancy things like a Lane departure warning, I have eyes lol.

I can tell you right now for that same F150 kind of money you could be driving around in a Chevy 3500 diesel that will come with everything the average individual could ever need and so much more power than F150 it’s not even the same league!

Be like comparing motorcycles to a tricycle!
Old 05-31-2018, 06:31 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredLEO View Post
What you said is so very true. The trucks of today are modern marvels compared to the trucks of yesteryear. ALTHOUGH that Chevy 350 engine was a heck of a engine
We really don't need all the extra's but have been brain washed that we got to have all the whiz-bang electronics to pacify us like a herd of one year olds. I guess if you can afford all the fluff..........good for you. It doesn't make it a better truck...............just more enjoyable. I remember being happy to finally get a P/U with A.C. and a AM/FM radio...............Dad really splurged one year and ordered one with a 8 track! Wow!!! Dad almost considered it too fancy to take it out on the gravels

I hate to dream what the price of a new truck will be in 3 years.
I remember 8 tracks and listened to my parents play them in the car when I was a kid, but they were gone by the time I had my first car so I can give you the same equivalent of a “cassette” story.

Which was how proud I was when the cassette came out with AMS (automatic music search) so I didn’t have to keep fast forwarding it and stop and fast forwarding it and stop to get to my next song.

Couldn’t wait to install it in my car and then brag to everybody about how I have AMS. Now? If you fall asleep by mistake the car will drive itself, stop at lights, and even parallel park for you.

Man has the world change!!!!!
Old 05-31-2018, 07:26 AM   #74

Step son only uses Ford for oilfield use. He has a 2007 F350 with about 35k hours on it (forget mileage, it runs all the time) had a set of heads at 8,200 hrs, runs like a beast. He 'retired' a 2008 F-250 King Ranch to work service, it has 150k on odometer, 9k+ hours, did have to have about $12k replacement turbos, later downtubes but it was DEF delete in 2009 and puts out about 650hp, probably over 1200 ft lbs. He recently added a 2015 F-250 Lariat 6.2l with CNG. He also has a couple of F450 SC 6.7's as service rigs, one needed turbos before the warranty expired and had no problems getting Ford to tow and fix. His big wireline rigs are International Terrastar Crew cabs with the back seat removed and the operators perch facing backwards. They put about 25k a year on these, but life expectancy is about 20 years. Lastly, his wife decided she wanted an Escalade, bought a program unit with 4,700 miles , first trip out, bent pushrods, second trip out, hit by a tire that came off a trailer in the opposing lane did $16k damage to it....it's black.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:10 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbailey View Post
The prices seem high for sure, but someone smarter than me could explain to use the concept of inflation, and how a corvette in 1977 cost $7,000.
Well, look at the average income back then. I was an Army 1LT and made $700 a month. Now a 2 yr 1LT makes $4,000 a month.

FWIW, in 1975 I could have bought a new Ferrari Dino for $11,000. I almost did, but ,got married instead. Probably more expensive option, but, worth it. Never traded her in either
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:38 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbailey View Post
The prices seem high for sure, but someone smarter than me could explain to use the concept of inflation, and how a corvette in 1977 cost $7,000.

Not an apples to apples comparison. The subject here is pickemup trucks, not specialty sports cars.

You do have a point though. In 1977 I made $17,000 a year, so I could have bought 2 corvettes. Today I make $90, 000, which is about equivalent to ONE Corvette.

Obviously, supply and demand. The people I know that own Corvettes would pay ANYTHING for them because it was the icon of their youth.

As I posted before, pickups are a bargain today because of the safety features and the fact that they use the same or less disposable income vs. years ago.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote