Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #1

I know..Another towing question from a new member

Hello all I am new to the forum and new to the world of owning a TT.

We have been looking at the Jay Flight 26RLS (really want this one) but am torn between that and a White Hawk 27DSRL at the present time. What I keep going back and forth with is my TV, it’s a 2011 F150 4x2 Supercab 5.0 V8 FFV 3.55 145 in Wheel Base, I do have the trailer tow package with the integrated break controller.
Other Truck Specs
GCVW 14900
GVWR 7050
FGAWR 3600
RGAWR 3850
Max Trailer Weight 9500
Hitch is rated up to 1050 TW

Any thoughts, what am I missing? I know I need to take into consideration all the other items (people, luggage, propane tanks filled, etc) I just bought the truck first of the year; TT was an after thought...at this point trying to fit the TT to the TV.

This will be our first TT so I want to make sure to do it right the first time, and be safe!! Will be using this first for staying in while I am working remotely away from home for the next 3-4 months, then we plan on making weekend trips quit often. I have been looking throughout the forum but did not see anyone specifically towing the 26RLS with an F150.

Thanks
Gary
glcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:57 PM   #2

You should have a wd hitch of course, but IMHO you should be good to go with that trailer. My salesman at the local Ford dealer said the 5.0 pulls better than the 5.4.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:36 PM   #3

If you really prefer the 26RLS, get it.

I think the truck should pull it fine, looks like a decent match. Ultimately you are going to want more horsepower at some time, but that will be the same with either trailer. Get a good hitch, watch the weights, and take it easy.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:32 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Gary,

Welcome to the Jayco forums, and your do-diligence in researching the right TT for your existing TV will pay dividends in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glcamp View Post
snip.........Any thoughts, what am I missing?........snip
When looking into different model TT weight specifications always think in terms of "loaded weights"..., avoid focusing on UVW and Dry weights. Keep in mind that everybody has different TV/TT loading habits; some of us pack on the lite side, others on the heavy side..., some pack for only two adults, and some for a family of 4. Keep this in mind when comparing similar TV/TT combination experiences.

I offer the following information/suggestions hoping it will give you a little more detailed insight into the weight implications when creating an ideal TV/TT combination........:

IMO taking your existing TV to a CAT scale will reduce the amount of guess work as you look into different TT's, Jayco or otherwise. Knowing in advance what your TV will weigh under "simulated" loaded camping conditions will provide you with some real weights to work with when "sizing" an appropriate TT.

The CAT scale: Have your TV full of fuel, passengers, some simulated camping cargo weight, and about $10 is all you need for the CAT scale visit. The CAT scale results will tell you:

* Maximum TT & Tongue loaded weights = (14,900lbs - TV's gross CAT scale weight)

* Maximum remaining payload weight for loaded TT tongue weight & WDH = (7,050lbs - TV's gross CAT scale weight).

NOTE: Your published Tow Rating of 9,500lbs is based on the curb weight of your model F-150 which includes a 150lb driver and all fluids..., but you have to subtract the combined weights of your TV's options, passengers, and cargo from the 9,500lbs to get your actual Tow Rating. Reference: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...uot-Tow-Rating

Here are a couple of "hypothetical" loaded TT weight scenarios for the two Jayco models you mentioned, and I will use an assumed moderate cargo load for a family of 4:

Jay Flight 26RLS

* (6,310lbs UVW) + (250lbs for Ship Weight) + (150lbs Dealer battery, WDH, etc.) + (600lbs TT cargo (no fluids in tanks)) = 7,310lbs Loaded TT Weight

* 13% to 15% of 7,310lbs = 950lbs to 1,097lbs Loaded Tongue Weight

White Hawk 27DSRL

* (5,425lbs UVW) + (250lbs for Ship Weight) + (150lbs Dealer battery, WDH, etc.) + (600lbs TT cargo (no fluids in tanks)) = 6,425lbs Loaded TT Weight

* 13% to 15% of 6,425lbs = 835lbs to 964lbs Loaded Tongue Weight

Also, the 3.55 rear axle is a great highway gear....., but a 3.73 rear axle in most TV's is an ideal towing gear, especially with heavier TT's, hills, and mountains.

Hope this helps.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Hello all I am new to the forum and new to the world of owning a TT.

We have been looking at the Jay Flight 26RLS (really want this one) but am torn between that and a White Hawk 27DSRL at the present time. What I keep going back and forth with is my TV, it’s a 2011 F150 4x2 Supercab 5.0 V8 FFV 3.55 145 in Wheel Base, I do have the trailer tow package with the integrated break controller.
Other Truck Specs
GCVW 14900
GVWR 7050
FGAWR 3600
RGAWR 3850
Max Trailer Weight 9500
Hitch is rated up to 1050 TW

Any thoughts, what am I missing? I know I need to take into consideration all the other items (people, luggage, propane tanks filled, etc) I just bought the truck first of the year; TT was an after thought...at this point trying to fit the TT to the TV.

This will be our first TT so I want to make sure to do it right the first time, and be safe!! Will be using this first for staying in while I am working remotely away from home for the next 3-4 months, then we plan on making weekend trips quit often. I have been looking throughout the forum but did not see anyone specifically towing the 26RLS with an F150.

Thanks
Gary
As you can see from my signature I have a similarly equipped F150 the difference being mine is 4WD and has the 3.73 gears. My TT has a loaded weight of weight around 6000lbs. I am sure my TV can handle more weight but i really would not want to pull any more with it. My personal opinion (and it's just an opinion) is go with the lighter weight trailer. I have had mine to the Cat Scale and was within all the limits for my TV, but not by a huge margin. I am pretty sure that another 1000 plus pounds would push me over several ratings. My weight ratings are slightly higher than yours I suppose due to the gearing. Will it pull the heavier weight?? Sure, should you?? your call.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:58 AM   #6

Well all I really appreciate all the great input, I am going to get this TV beast weighed and then go from there. I am really thinking that at this point going for a lighter unit might be the best approach. I know no matter what we are going to enjoy this venture, just want to make sure that it is safe at the same time. Not sure where a CAT scale is here in my small town, Sumter SC, but I use to work at our local race track and we have a scale there to weigh the cars. Think I will try that first and see what it comes out to be, they have it certified so it should be close.

Gary
Old 07-29-2012, 01:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Well all I really appreciate all the great input, I am going to get this TV beast weighed and then go from there. I am really thinking that at this point going for a lighter unit might be the best approach. I know no matter what we are going to enjoy this venture, just want to make sure that it is safe at the same time. Not sure where a CAT scale is here in my small town, Sumter SC, but I use to work at our local race track and we have a scale there to weigh the cars. Think I will try that first and see what it comes out to be, they have it certified so it should be close.

Gary
There is a sticky at the top of this forum on how to weigh your TV and TT, you need to do both to get the info you need.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:15 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Gary,

CAT Scale locater: http://catscale.com/

For future reference, here is the JOF "sticky" link on how to weigh a TV/TT combination at a CAT scale: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...igh-Your-tt-tv

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 07-30-2012, 11:33 PM   #9

Welcome to the forum jlcamp. There are a TON of great people on here who have a boat load of knowledge and know how....I have spent lots of time on here researching and asking questions and no matter how stupid I think they are, folks on here are super helpful and always seem to remember what it was like to be new at this.

That said, my wife and I just purchased a 2012 26RLS and brought it home this past weekend. We were also torn between the Whitehawks, but for us the layout on the RLS was a better fit. Our TV is a 2010 F-150 Supercrew 4 x 4 with the tow package, 3.73 ratio, 5.4L V8 Triton. We brought it down this weekend from the mountains and although most of it was downhill, there were some uphill stretches where the truck did quite well.

As I was looking for some advice on handling the nerves of towing, some of the best advice I read on these forums is to take it slow, let the morons zip by you and be in a hurry to go nowhere. Didn't quite get it until I actually towed the TT home. The nerves subsided and the more comfortable I got with various speeds, the better the stomach felt. Just took it out tonight to practice backing up and simulating camp ground layouts/scenarios so I don't provide the campers with too funny of a show upon my arrival.

Get the trailer you feel most comfortable in...the moment you set foot in it...you'll know. Then, all the other models you look at, you'll compare it to. That's what happened to us.

It's been a learning experience, just in the last two days....we have done nothing more than local driving and driveway camping looking like ma & pa kettle out in the RV at night watching TV in front of the house....just waiting for the weekend to come and take us away!

Happy Hunting!

David
Rockypointers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #10

Bob, thanks for the info heading to the CAT scale this week to get TV weighed...about 20 mins from me.... I appreciate everyone's help, we are trying to do this right the first time. I am trying to prevent what happen to my sister and brother in-law 12 years ago, see pictures. This was coming down the mountains on I-77, they were pulling it with a Ford Explorer (not really the best tow vehicle) the trailer just started to push them down the hill started to sway and over they went.

David thanks for the info about your towing experience with the 26RLS...I think that we have made up our mine to play it safe starting out, I am thinking that the trailer is just going to be to big for my TV..but will figure all that out after i get it weighed..right now leaning towards the Whitehawk either the 27DSRL or 26DSRB. The bathroom is causing me a little grief on the 27DSRL....not sure I like the thought of having to walk through it and then there is just not that much cabinet space.

Gary

Click image for larger version

Name:	camp1.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	4795Click image for larger version

Name:	camp2.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	4796
Old 08-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #11

You're welcome Gary. By the way, what is the story behind the pics in your signature?
2012 Jayco JayFlight 26RLS
0000 Children
Only 25 years to retirement!

"If it weren't for the rocks in it's bed, the stream would have no song." ~Carl Perkins
Rockypointers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockypointers View Post
You're welcome Gary. By the way, what is the story behind the pics in your signature?
Refer back to the top of Gary's prior post (#10).

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 08-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #13

Went to the CAT scales, ran the numbers, it's going to be a Whitehawk. Thinking either the 27dsrl or 26dsrb.
2013 White Hawk 30DSRE
ProPride 3P 1400 Hitch
Old 09-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #14

We own a White Hawk 27DSRL and tow it with a Chevy Silverado 1500 pickup. These are our numbers:

trailer specs -

Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) 5,425
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) 635
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) 7,500
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) 2,075

truck specs -

2012 Silverado 1500 2WD EXT CAB LT (standard box)
VORTEC 5.3L V8
6-speed AT
locking rear diff
trailering package
heavy duty cooling
Z71 off road suspension
high capacity air cleaner
integrated trailer brake controller
18' aluminum wheels
on/off road tires
GVWR 6800 lbs
rear axle 3.42 ratio

CAT Scale weight with full fuel, truck cap & bedrug 5440 lbs

available payload 1360

GCWR 15000 lbs
max trailer weight 9700 lbs
trailer weight rating 8200 lbs
max tongue weight 1100 lbs

hitch -

Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution System w/ 4-Point Sway Control - 10,000 lbs GTW, 1,000 lbs TW

The actual loaded tongue weight has been 815 lbs which limits what can be loaded into the truck to 545 lbs. With the truck loaded to 6800 lbs the GAWRs have always been within limits.

After loading everything we needed into the trailer it's never weighed more than 5660 lbs.

For us, the TV weights are what need to be monitored as the TT has never been close to it's limits.

Climbing 6-7 percent grades will get your attention but you'll be fine if you fall in behind the semi's.

Good luck!
mrnoyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoyb View Post
We own a White Hawk 27DSRL and tow it with a Chevy Silverado 1500 pickup. These are our numbers:

trailer specs -

Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) 5,425
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) 635
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) 7,500
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) 2,075

truck specs -

2012 Silverado 1500 2WD EXT CAB LT (standard box)
VORTEC 5.3L V8
6-speed AT
locking rear diff
trailering package
heavy duty cooling
Z71 off road suspension
high capacity air cleaner
integrated trailer brake controller
18' aluminum wheels
on/off road tires
GVWR 6800 lbs
rear axle 3.42 ratio

CAT Scale weight with full fuel, truck cap & bedrug 5440 lbs

available payload 1360

GCWR 15000 lbs
max trailer weight 9700 lbs
trailer weight rating 8200 lbs
max tongue weight 1100 lbs

hitch -

Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution System w/ 4-Point Sway Control - 10,000 lbs GTW, 1,000 lbs TW

The actual loaded tongue weight has been 815 lbs which limits what can be loaded into the truck to 545 lbs. With the truck loaded to 6800 lbs the GAWRs have always been within limits.

After loading everything we needed into the trailer it's never weighed more than 5660 lbs.

For us, the TV weights are what need to be monitored as the TT has never been close to it's limits.

Climbing 6-7 percent grades will get your attention but you'll be fine if you fall in behind the semi's.

Good luck!
This is great information and makes me feel better about the TV we have... while it is a Ford F150 it's almost identical with your specs however with a 3.55 rear axle ratio...Ironically fully loaded, gas, etc it weighed out at 5440 at the CAT scales also.

Going this Friday to look at the 27dsrl, 26dsrb, and the 30dsre (mastersrv in Greenwood, SC has all three)....Wife likes the 27dsrl the best, I like the 30dsre....I am going to lose....Only the wife and I, so I am starting to come to the realization that the walk through bathroom might not be an issue. Guessing you found that to be the case.

Was looking at getting the Reese Dual Cam, what made you choose the Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution System?

Thanks
Gary
Old 09-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #16

The floor plan of the 27DSRL sold us and the pass through bathroom has worked out fine.

The Equal-i-zer product had nothing but positive feedback anywhere I looked and absent the noise issue that bother some, I wasn't able to find any reason not to buy. I've towed the White Hawk with the Equal-i-zer for 3,500 miles so far and feel the system works as advertised. I've found it does an effective job of both distributing the weight and damping out the effects of trailer sway.

mrnoyb is offline   Reply With Quote