Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2019, 09:17 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
The door sticker is nothing. The registered weight, tire rating and federal bridge limits are all that is enforceable. This is coming from 17 years of law enforcement. Look at your registration card, that lists the REGISTERED WEIGHT, not the weight written on a yellow sticker. You are simply wrong.

Going to jail for a vehicle collision? In what state? You'd have to be charged with vehicular manslaughter, which has an extremely high bar to cross. DUI wrecks that kill someone rarely have vehicular manslaughter attached, because the elements require an extremely high level of criminal negligence to charge the crime.

You guys are laughable... Isn't it camping season, shouldn't you guys be telling your tall tales over a beer at the campfire?
Ok you say I am wrong. but on my Ford Excursion there is no registered weight on the registration paperwork. Only weight is on the door sticker. You know that before you tell people that they are wrong maybe just think about it, Every state has different rules. You were in Law Enforcement for 17 years I was in towing for 18 years and My company was 1 of only 3 company's in Tucson that went by the federal guide lines. Worked with many Law enforcement people and I know that the sticker in the truck is the one that any police, city, state any one goes by. Maybe not in your state but here in Az that sticker is Boss.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:36 PM   #62

#1 You are correct that Arizona doesn't register privately owned vehicles based upon weights. Registration fees are based upon vehicle value when new, minus depreciation costs. However, when you apply for a title in Arizona, you state your GVW on the title and pay an appropriate amount of money for that. See the application for title in Arizona, you have to denote a GVW... you can claim any number you want, you just have to pay the appropriate fee for your title.

#2 You are bringing your experience as a commercial vehicle operator into a discussion of privately owned vehicles. Commercial and noncommercial rules and regulations are very different. One specific reason that many contractors buy a 3/4 ton truck is that they can avoid having to register as a commercial vehicle. In some states, a GVW over 10,000 lbs automatically triggers commercial regulations.

#3 This is an exact quote from the Arizona DMV page on registration costs, "There may also be a weight fee and commercial registration fee if the vehicle is registered as commercial." This contradicts your claim that your commercial motor vehicle didn't consider weight. You claimed a weight and paid for it. You were perfectly legal up to the weight you paid for.

I would also add that just before the weight isn't listed on your registration card, I am sure if a police officer ran your tag thru the DMV database, there is a listed weight or a minimum/maximum weight listed for every vehicle. The little yellow sticker is required when the vehicle is sold new, it can be removed by the owner. Therefore, basing enforcement off an optional sticker wouldn't be very intelligent...
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 12:42 AM   #63

My 3/4 ton diesel in register for 12,000 lbs the lady at the DMV said it's like that just in case I get stop but that's in Washington State.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 09:54 AM   #64

I have been called out by the Police many times because the cops stopped a private citizen because the cop seen the truck he was driving looked to be over weight. [ Bumper almost dragging the ground] The cop called DOT scales out and they did the weight check and found the truck to be over the sticker weight that is on the door. They had to get a tow truck to get him towed. I understand that you can put anything down on your paperwork but if the cops think that it looks unsafe and they stop you and find you are over the GVW that is on the door then you will get cited. Now if you use your 3/4 ton truck for business you better have the truck insured as a business truck. You get different tags if commerical. Cause if you don't and get into a accident the insurance company most likely not pay cause you did not tell them. Or they might pay and then come after you for repayment. Even though most people think that cause they have a private owned vehicles that they don't fall under any rules like the commerical drivers do well that is up to the law enforcement person. They are trying to keep people safe and there are some out there that know their jobs. The sticker on the door is what the auto maker says the truck is legal to carry and that is that in the eyes of Law Enforcement.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:58 PM   #65

Bumper dragging on the ground isn't within the ratings of the axles, likely not the tires either. It's clearly well beyond the scope if what I am referencing.

Regardless, the removable sticker isn't enforceable in any other state. If you think it is enforceable in Arizona (for non commercial vehicles), then I'd love to see the charge for it... especially the criminal charge you suggested someone could get.

ETA, from the Arizona motor vehicles page;

What is a declared gross weight?

Gross weight is the sum of the empty weight in pounds of a motor vehicle combination (power unit and trailer) plus the weight in pounds of the load to be carried on the motor vehicle combination at any point in time. Customers declare the maximum gross weight at which they will operate their vehicle and then pay the corresponding fee as determined by the following table."
Old 07-13-2019, 08:52 PM   #66

My last comment. I know what we did in Az to help the police out I know that the sticker on the door is put there by the people who built the truck. You can put anything down on the paperwork but that does not mean that it is right, You have to remember that this is Az and things are done different here. Not saying it is right but Things are different. I know that my home state of Connecticut would not allow some of the things that are allowed out here. I have lived here since 1978 and have seen things and been a part that other states would not believe it. Maybe the east states will let stuff like that get by but it all depends on the Officer. Thats all.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:00 AM   #67

Your opinion is noble, but the point was legality. It is legal.
Old 08-07-2019, 03:41 PM   #68

As the OP, I'd like to say thanks for all of the ideas, advice, and conversation.

FWIW, we just bought a used 2018 GMC 3500HD Denali. Love it! A little hail damage made it affordable... Now to sell the '03 F350 so we can buy the plates! Jeez!

Tom O==#
Empty nesters - traded bunk beds for recliners

States camped in:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic50318_3.gif
Tom51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:59 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom51 View Post
As the OP, I'd like to say thanks for all of the ideas, advice, and conversation.

FWIW, we just bought a used 2018 GMC 3500HD Denali. Love it! A little hail damage made it affordable... Now to sell the '03 F350 so we can buy the plates! Jeez!

Tom O==#

Congrats! Do you have any pics we would love to see them if you do?
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:07 AM   #70

Our truck, 2018 GMC 3500HD Denali.
Empty nesters - traded bunk beds for recliners

States camped in:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic50318_3.gif
Tom51 is offline   Reply With Quote