Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-18-2018, 04:44 PM   #1

Input required

Ok, I'm VERY interested in purchasing a New 2018 Jayco 321 RSTS, but I have a 2012 F-250 Super Duty 6.2 and have some concerns regarding safely towing and stopping this rig.

Ok, here is my logic, please let me know if it is valid thinking or just wishful thinking!!

My truck is presently pulling a bit less than 12,400 lbs! 2011 Heartland GreyStone 29MK, GVWR 13,800. But NEVER carry water!!

The Jayco is rated at 10,310 lbs dry
12,700 GVWR

However, we NEVER tow with water except a bit for the wife to use the restroom. The Jayco has a total capacity of 1,696 lbs of water which is included in the total 12,700 GVWR. If you subtract the water weight the total GVWR would be 11,004 which is well below the total 5th wheel towing capacity of my present truck which is 12,500.

There is my question, I would really like to pull the plug on this deal this weekend if possible, but will wait until I get some opinions from experts. The camping people (of course) are telling me I should not have any problems, but they are salesmen and I understand they want to make a sale. Any assistance or opinions regarding this issue would be very much appreciated. Thank you all in advance!!

Larry, Marilyn & Buddy
2012 F-250 Super Duty
closely followed by
2012 Heartland Greystone.
Grey Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:44 PM   #2

What is the payload capacity of your truck? I’m going to guess it’s something like 3000 pounds. The pin weight of the trailer will be something close to 2400 when loaded to camp so it only leaves you around 600 for hitch, cargo and passengers. You’re going to be close but I think you’ll be ok if you pack light. Only way to know for sure is to hit the cat scale.

I wouldn’t have a problem towing with that setup but I’m sure others here will tell you otherwise.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
What is the payload capacity of your truck? I’m going to guess it’s something like 3000 pounds. The pin weight of the trailer will be something close to 2400 when loaded to camp so it only leaves you around 600 for hitch, cargo and passengers. You’re going to be close but I think you’ll be ok if you pack light. Only way to know for sure is to hit the cat scale.

I wouldn’t have a problem towing with that setup but I’m sure others here will tell you otherwise.
Thanks, I will weigh at the camper place. Thanks for your input!😎
Grey Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:02 AM   #4

If you are currently towing 12,400# and the new camper has a GVW of 12,700# then even with water you should not notice any difference really. If you are pulling and stopping the Heartland fine, then I don't see where your truck will care either way.As Tom said, payload on a 3/4 ton truck is the limiting factor here.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:30 AM   #5

As long as you can make the numbers work, should be fine. The 6.2 is a great engine and that gas F250 should have a little over 3000 lbs of payload (depending upon package and options). That should leave you with plenty of payload to haul the camper.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:13 AM   #6

Weight

If your current trailer is heavier than the new trailer ( loaded the same ) then it should not be a problem unless you are experiencing a problem now - I would be more concerned with stopping - braking because you are so close to the maximum capacity of the truck

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote