Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-17-2020, 03:09 PM   #1

Insurance question SRW vrs DRW

Did your insurance rate go up with the purchase of your dually? I know it increases with a newer rig anyhow but was wondering about a penalty with the DRW.
Mikayles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 04:09 PM   #2

Theoretically I suppose it could, my insurance never asked. I just said F350 1ton, LB CC. Honestly, in my case I was buying a dedicated tow rig, I was more concerned with stability towing over the insurance rate/difference. I’m sure every company is different, I would just call your insurance company and find out. I also shop around about every four years and make sure I’m getting the best rate. I’m currently with Amica, they’ve been great with price, CS and the 1 claim I had...
Old 02-18-2020, 08:17 AM   #3

I didn't see an increase other than a little for being new. Over on Escapees some guys with the 450/4500 up series in some states had to get commercial insurance but my experience rates about same . I had 6 trucks in my AC business and per truck wasn't bad. Your 1ton won't be bad unless you live in one of those pickup truck disliking states.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:17 AM   #4

Not only if its newer, also where you are home based too. Normally, if its newer it cost more to repair so insurance will go up. Like the old caddy man once said If you have to ask what the gas mileage is then you can't afford it, and I didn't buy for gas mileage.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 11:07 AM   #5

Lol...thanks for the replys. My old 06 Dodge is running fine knock on wood. Wife and I are talking maybe a new truck in a year or two. I want the dually as she really wants a bigger rig than our current Eagle 319. Her argument is for the SRW as she thinks the insurance is lower.
Mikayles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 02:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikayles View Post
Lol...thanks for the replys. My old 06 Dodge is running fine knock on wood. Wife and I are talking maybe a new truck in a year or two. I want the dually as she really wants a bigger rig than our current Eagle 319. Her argument is for the SRW as she thinks the insurance is lower.
Usually when I am thinking about buying a new vehicle, I call my insurance agent up and start asking questions, before I hit a dealership. Then when I start narrowing down on what I want, I might even call them up and ask specific questions on specific vehicles, and even have the vin numbers in hand. FYI, I am not an impulse buyer and have no issues walking way from a potential deal if I do not like it, or want more info.

Interestingly, I just purchased a new every day commuter vehicle. While talking they said it is not uncommon especially for people who are thinking about buying a truck to "take it on an overnight loan" to verify that it will fit in the garage and hook up nicely and use it on a test tow of their trailer.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 04:15 PM   #7

I just got a new 2019 SRW 1 ton upgrade from a 2003 3/4 ton, the insurance was for all intents and purposes the same, the new truck was $4 more per 6 months. Not sure if a DRW would be more still but I would expect the higher cost to be a bigger factor. Now registration costs will be a different matter altogether.
2003 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel (Sold)
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
jpgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 04:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
Theoretically I suppose it could, my insurance never asked. I just said F350 1ton, LB CC. .
They already know all the info by the VIN #.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
They already know all the info by the VIN #.
What he said.

All info is contained in the VIN #. We went from a 2018 2500 to a 2019 3500 dually. Insurance went up a little. But that may just be the difference in vehicle year. I do know that for what ever reason our Missouri personal property tax assessment value went down by several thousands when we deleted the 2500 and added the 3500.

Don’t know why but I’ll take it.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:51 PM   #10
Site Team

I never buy any vehicle without calling our insurance agent first. They have a list of "no-go's" that are much more expensive to insure, or worse, they'll drop your policy. Mainly driven by how expensive to repair (body damage), or by how prevalent to theft. I almost got bit years ago, looking to buy a Supra. Ended up with a VW, and he told me that was a wise decision. The company would have cancelled me at renewal time. No accidents or tickets, it was just that specific model. I learned to call before signing.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:35 AM   #11

My ins is cheap where I live so I dn't bother checking before buying. One thing thats funny is that our 2015 Camry SE is more than our 2018 Ram 2500 6.4.
It was that way when we had our 2012 Ram CTD an an 06 Accord and then the Camry. My cars have always been more than my truck. Not sure why but I'm guessing that in a wreck the cars will sustain more damage and need more labor to repair.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote