Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-17-2014, 08:40 AM   #1

Question Integrated Brake Control ITBC Question about Sway control

Looking at WDH and sway control options

Does anyone have any new thoughts or experience with ITBC systems trailer sway control properties?
As I look for a new WDH, would like to know if sway control are features are as critical as the features in the weight distribution?
Such as the Fastway E2 vs the Equalizer with 4 point vs the Anderson vs Old style (Curt) with chains and side friction supplements

Appears to me, all WDH's will return weight to the front tires resulting in better control at the pivot point hitch ball

Thanks

Tom
2014 Jay Flight Swift 294 BHS
2012 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L
Redhorse 823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:19 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhorse 823 View Post
snip..... Appears to me, all WDH's will return weight to the front tires resulting in better control at the pivot point hitch ball Thanks
Your correct, the main design function of a WDH is to return the same weight back to a TV's front suspension that was removed when the TT's tongue weight was placed on the hitch ball. Maintaining proper weight on a TV's front suspension insures optimum TV steering and handling characteristics.

The ITBC system uses electronic sensors that detect specific TV conditions that can aid in the control of a sway event. IMO the ITBC system isn't designed to take the place of a mechanical sway control device that is incorporated with a WDH. Many WDH's have integrated sway control, and some designs are pro-active in working at keeping a sway event from actually starting.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:09 PM   #3

Bob,
Thanks for the response.
Just want to make sure I am making the correct choice in WDH.
Thinking about the ITBC system, it is still a reactive system working after the sway event starts.
I would like to know how much sway would be required to activate the trailer brakes by the ITBC.

A proactive system applying constant pressure to keep the trailer straight might be the way to go.
I just cant help to think that anything forcing the trailer to stay straight is also limiting the turn-ability of the combined rig or creating unwanted force somewhere else.

Thanks again

Tom
Old 01-17-2014, 03:15 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip..... I just cant help to think that anything forcing the trailer to stay straight is also limiting the turn-ability of the combined rig or creating unwanted force somewhere else. Thanks again
Never have had any issues with my Reese HP Dual Cam w/integrated sway control (Reese Strait-Line), has been a great set-up for my TV/TT combo since 2005. The Reese Dual Cam sway control design has been around a long time, and I haven't heard of any issues associated to the pro-active aspect of the design.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 01-17-2014, 04:01 PM   #5

Have only heard of great things from that set up. Its just the way my mind works...resistance to sway would also be resistance to turning.
However, I know it works and works great.

Think the Reese Duel Cam is the route I am going to take
Thanks for your help

Tom
Old 01-17-2014, 07:05 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Snip...... Its just the way my mind works...resistance to sway would also be resistance to turning......snip
Your thoughts aren't without merit......., and have been topics of discussion in RV forums over the years as the design of the standard WDH as changed.

There are many different brands of WDH's that utilize resistance (force) to manage/control sway (i.e.; Reese Strait-Line, Equal-i-zer, Hensley, Pro-Pride, etc.) ...., and each of them have their own unique design characteristics.

Heck, even with the past introductions of "Lite" TT's, HTT's, etc., RV manufactures have attached warning labels to some of the "lite" A-frames limiting the size of a WDH that can be utilized.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 01-17-2014, 07:45 PM   #7

Quote:
I would like to know how much sway would be required to activate the trailer brakes by the ITBC.
Tom, I don't believe the ITBC will actually activate the trailer brakes. Bob is correct, there are sensors in the TV to detect sway, and when too much sway is apparent, the TV engine will decrease speed accordingly as sensed through the on board computer system to slow down the entire rig. The ITBC on my Ford is a brake pedal pressure relationship with "gain" on the ITBC, more pressure, more gain, working harmoniously with the anti-lock brakes. You never feel the "pullback" like you do from an after market installed controller like a Prodigy [inertia control], but you can override that from the manual control on the dash. Probably not telling you something you don't already know so I'll shut up. IMO, anything to you can do to alleviate sway is worth it. Terry
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:10 PM   #8

The ITBC in the RAM does try to apply the trailer brakes as the first measure in controlling sway.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:36 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know if individual ITBC's trailer interfacing function differently with different vehicle brands..., but my understanding is that there are multiple sensors within the TV (steering, wheels, etc.) and can detect TV side-to-side movement. The ITBC system then has the ability to actuate the TV's brakes, and may also actuate the trailer brakes. I believe I read somewhere that an ITBC (or some other interface) could also control engine torque has a means to slow the TV.

Amazing what a little electronic circuit board(s) can do!

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 01-18-2014, 05:44 AM   #10

The Tundra doesn't have ITBC (wish it did), but does have integrated sway control (reactive) that works as Rustic Eagle describes. We're going with the Reese Straight-Line as I'd rather have a proactive control that "eliminates" sway before it gets started. Hopefully I never need the integrated control, but at least it's there for redundancy.

robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote