Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-18-2017, 06:50 PM   #1

Interesting day at the CAT scales

Today, after 2 months with my new 29RKS, we finally loaded everything up, including the dogs, and went to the CAT scales.

First let me say... everyone pulling an RV should go to the scales . What an education!

After three trips across, I was over on TV GWVR, TV Rear axle GAWR, and more than 50lb difference in front axle transfer between loaded an unloaded.

I took the WDH bars up another link in the chain, got it down to just 20lb difference from non-towing on front axle.

Shifted some weight inside the TT and ended up with the numbers below (still 130lbs over payload)... but at least I know and can make some adjustments.

Returned to the storage yard, scraped a pole and ripped the rear awning support and frame off the trailer. So the CAT Scale trip cost me $20 at the scales and I'm sure several hundred for the repairs.

TV/TT Gross Wt. 14720
TV F-Axle 3440 Hitched, w/ WDH
TV R-Axle 3740 Hitched, w/ WDH

TV Gross Wt. 6220
TV F-Axle 3460 Unhitched
TV R-Axle 2760 Unhitched

Loaded TT Wt. 8500 TV/TT Gross Wt. - TV Gross Wt.

TV F-Axle 2980 Hitched, No WDH
TV R-Axle 4520 Hitched, No WDH

Loaded Tongue Wt. 1280 TV Axle Wts - TV Gross Wt.

Percentage of Tongue Weight to Loaded TT Wgt. 15% Good
TT GVWR (9500) to Loaded TT Wgt. 8500 Good
TV GVWR (7050) {Payload Limit} 7180 Overweight
TV Front GAWR (3525){Axle Limit} 3440 Good
TV Rear GAWR (3800) {Axle Limit} 3740 Good
TV GCWR (16,100) 14720 Good
TV front axle transfer 20 Good

Moseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:59 PM   #2

Maybe the pole, was just helping reduce that 130 pound. Ok, bad humor.

The cat scales can be a real eye opener for many.

Sorry to here about your mishap.

Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:11 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moseh View Post
snip...... First let me say... everyone pulling an RV should go to the scales . What an education!........snip
X2

Great effort at the CAT!!

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:33 PM   #4

within 20 lbs on the front axle is really good. I think visiting the CAT scales should be mandatory for anyone who tows. It really helps clarify what the WD Hitch actually DOES, which can be a little tough to wrap your head around for some people.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:18 PM   #5

Moseh,

Nice work at the scales!!!

From what I found you have a ‘17 F150, correct? If so, this may be a surprise to you, but Ford actually only recommends returning 25% of the lost weight back to the front axle for the newer 150’s. Not sure exactly why they have gone to this suggested wdh adjustment. Possibly due to the higher chance of oversteer if there is more weight transferred to the front axle (without going over the unhitched weight). How does your truck & trailer handle?

The other weight rating you are over on is the trucks factory mounted receiver hitch. It has a max tw rating of 1220lbs w/ a wdh.

I do agree that a CAT Scale trip can be a huge awaking!!! The weight can add up very quickly!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:18 AM   #6
Site Team

It is a great thing to know your actual weights. Specs are good but the scale tells you real world info.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Ford actually only recommends returning 25% of the lost weight back to the front axle for the newer 150’s. Not sure exactly why they have gone to this suggested wdh adjustment. Possibly due to the higher chance of oversteer if there is more weight transferred to the front axle (without going over the unhitched weight). How does your truck & trailer handle?

The other weight rating you are over on is the trucks factory mounted receiver hitch. It has a max tw rating of 1220lbs w/ a wdh.
Yes. 2017 F150, max tow, 3.5 Eco.
So here is the big question.. I realize (after my visit to the CAT SCALES ...before I only suspected) that I'm pushing the limits of the F150. If I could have a "do over", I would get an F250, but as it is, I have a new F150 w/ 3000 miles.

Will shifting weight behind the TT axles solve both problems? (I'm thinking of putting the DW on a rack on the rear bumper.. that would solve several problems but also create few)

Am I unsafe, for my family and other motorists, to tow as is (maybe shifting or removing a few things). I really don't want to take the huge loss I would suffer on trading TVs, but I also don't want to kill anyone...
Moseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:14 AM   #8

It’s hard to say what your trailer likes for a minimum tw percentage. Having a 15% tw will allow you to move a few things around. Just remember to keep a minimum of 12%, as high walled rolling bricks generally need 12-15% tw. It’s the open trailers that are ok at ~10% or so.

Moving a little weight back (not the better half!!! ) will lower your tw, and remove a little weight off the ra.

Revisit the scales after moving some things around and go from there once you know where you’re at.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:19 AM   #9

Is there anything that you are carrying that you can just get rid of (again, not meaning the wife)? We are all guilty of it, taking along items that we rarely or never use when we are out.

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Is there anything that you are carrying that you can just get rid of (again, not meaning the wife)? We are all guilty of it, taking along items that we rarely or never use when we are out.
Thatís why at the end of the season, it is highly suggested to ďpurgeĒ anything not used at all during the season. Or possibly only used once, then highly consider if itís needed or not.

Itís crazy how quickly the weight adds up!!!