Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-19-2021, 02:03 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
Back in 2017 I called Andersen to ask about the wear I was seeing and if there was an issue with using some grease on the ball. You can see in the picture below the wear spots on both the top and bottom of the ball. That is with less than 10K miles on the hitch. I was told that it was fine to use a small amount of grease targeted to just the wear spots - what they want you to avoid doing is greasing the whole ball. Once I started greasing those spots the wear slowed as expected. There was no difference in effectiveness of the sway control after I started greasing the wear spots either. It was always a really solid no-sway hitch. I did periodically clean the inside of the coupler as over time the grease would build up.
I have about 10k miles on ours, too. Not as much wear but there definitely is a little more on the spots like yours. What type of grease did you use on it? Do you reapply every trip? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
5D56CC55-3AC2-4C6D-940C-778EEA55CAB5.jpg  
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 02:33 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
I have about 10k miles on ours, too. Not as much wear but there definitely is a little more on the spots like yours. What type of grease did you use on it? Do you reapply every trip? Thanks!
I've been using this Lucas White Lithium grease. I am in the habit of applying a little bit to each of the wear points every time I hitch up, including on the Blue Ox I'm using with the ORV.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 04:15 PM   #43

I use Mission Automotive hitch ball grease (available from Amazon) and a Curt rubber cover. The ball other than some scuffs still looks like new.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 08:13 PM   #44

Lucky Duck, that F250 of yours can pull your camper very easily. Same with the tongue weight. I am wondering if you have ever towed without the Anderson? Was it drastically different? Thanks. Jay.
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:33 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
Lucky Duck, that F250 of yours can pull your camper very easily. Same with the tongue weight. I am wondering if you have ever towed without the Anderson? Was it drastically different? Thanks. Jay.
You know, I haven’t. When we bought the TT, we were total newbies and had never towed anything bigger than a 1,200-pound sailboat. The RV salesman (truthfully) told us a WDH was optional. I decided to err on being extra safe and went with the Andersen. After a few heavy-gust situations, I’ve never regretted it.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
Old 01-20-2021, 10:07 AM   #46

If you don't want to have sway on the road, get out and remove sway bars and friction control, but travel like your just driving your TV not having to remove anything to back into a camping spot(especially in inclement weather) the Anderson is worth the extra $. As I said earlier I so liked the Anderson when we upgraded to the Eagle 27.5 fifth wheel, we had the Anderson Ball hitch installed in our Tundra and love it especially when I can pull it in less than 30 min. at only 42#'s and 4 pins and have my full p/u bed.
llarson1105#msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:19 PM   #47

Thank you LuckyDuck. I have towed TTs for 5 seasons now and boats for 25 years before that. Have never used a WDH or any anti sway bar. For the TTs it has been with a 2014 Silverado with a V6, double cab, short bed. This worked good with our Rockwood 2504s, but the longer, heavier (1,200 pounds), Jayco 24RBS proved to be a struggle sometimes, especially with the golf cart in the truck bed. So we have a brand new 2500hd double cab long bed with the new 400 CID engine. So now I don’t “need” a WDH, and was wondering how good the sway control is with the Andersen. I haven’t towed with it yet. I never really had any problems with sway, but sometimes the wind has blown me around. An A/B comparison would be good. Jay
Old 01-20-2021, 12:56 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
Thank you LuckyDuck. I have towed TTs for 5 seasons now and boats for 25 years before that. Have never used a WDH or any anti sway bar. For the TTs it has been with a 2014 Silverado with a V6, double cab, short bed. This worked good with our Rockwood 2504s, but the longer, heavier (1,200 pounds), Jayco 24RBS proved to be a struggle sometimes, especially with the golf cart in the truck bed. So we have a brand new 2500hd double cab long bed with the new 400 CID engine. So now I don’t “need” a WDH, and was wondering how good the sway control is with the Andersen. I haven’t towed with it yet. I never really had any problems with sway, but sometimes the wind has blown me around. An A/B comparison would be good. Jay
Jay, sorry I couldn’t help you. What has convinced me was one of our trips up north along the Columbia River gorge and 40-mph crosswinds. Trailer was rock solid. The old F-250 beast actually got pushed around a bit.
Old 01-21-2021, 07:40 PM   #49

That is ok LuckyDuck. Later in the year when I hook up to the new truck I’ll report back how it goes. I am the exact opposite of you, I’ve never towed anything with a WDH, or any kind of anti sway control. Our half ton felt light in the front with the bigger camper. (No rear sag, have timbrens). If I am not happy with the way the new truck pulls, I’m getting an Andersen. Jay
Old 01-22-2021, 12:57 PM   #50

Hitches regardless of brand will when properly configured do what they are purposed for. Proper weight distribution within the trailer, tire pressure, and proper tongue weight are as equally important as the brand of hitch. Zero issues over thousands of miles towing my 212 QB with a Husky Centerline TS behind my 1500 RAM.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:15 PM   #51

Hey all,

Just thought id give an update. Been on 4 trips with the andersen, and towed the trailer once without to go to a nearby dump station.

The andersen does a fantastic job at keeping the trailer in line. It's very quickly and easily hooked up, and we've passed and been passed by big trucks on the highway with zero sway issues.

I drove the trailer once without the andersen, and can immediately tell the difference. Without it, the trailer bounces way more and wiggles down the road. So the Andersen definitely helps keep the trailer nice and tight with the truck, all we feel is the third axle going over the bumps, no "reverberations" if you know what I mean.

So anyone considering the andersen with a small trailer, add me to the list of 100% happy with it.
OrangeLefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 07:36 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeLefty View Post
Hey all,

Just thought id give an update. Been on 4 trips with the andersen, and towed the trailer once without to go to a nearby dump station.

The andersen does a fantastic job at keeping the trailer in line. It's very quickly and easily hooked up, and we've passed and been passed by big trucks on the highway with zero sway issues.

I drove the trailer once without the andersen, and can immediately tell the difference. Without it, the trailer bounces way more and wiggles down the road. So the Andersen definitely helps keep the trailer nice and tight with the truck, all we feel is the third axle going over the bumps, no "reverberations" if you know what I mean.

So anyone considering the andersen with a small trailer, add me to the list of 100% happy with it.

Thanks for letting us know how this worked out. I definitely can also feel the difference when I am using the Andersen WDH. Glad this has been a good experience.
nutdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:37 PM   #53

I just installed one yesterday on my 174BH. Only driven around my immediate area so far but I can tell it's making a difference. Can't wait to go on a road trip with it.
rewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:51 PM   #54

Well we finally towed the camper with the new truck. What a difference. Much more stable. Still don’t have a WDH. I measured my front fender height, a little less than 1/2 inch different between empty and the camper hooked up. Jay