RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-05-2021, 11:11 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Lower Mainland, BC
Posts: 6
Is an Andersen WD Hitch Overkill for my application?

Hey All,


New RV'er here, we just got our Jayco 174BH (max weight is ~3900lbs fully loaded), towing with our 2013 Chevy Silverado 1500 4.8L v8. Chevy recommends a WDH for anything over 5000lbs, and since were inching towards that, and we live in the rocky mountains, I thought it would be a good idea to start looking at the options out there.


...I've gone down a rabbit hole of information...


I really like the look of the Andersen anti-sway WDH setup, but coming in at around $850 CAD it certainly is a steep price. At the same time, I don't want to buy something that does a half ass job, get pissed off, then have to go out and buy something else.


Is the Andersen worth the price for my setup, or what else have you guys used with a similar setup?


Thanks in advance!
OrangeLefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:19 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeLefty View Post
Hey All,


New RV'er here, we just got our Jayco 174BH (max weight is ~3900lbs fully loaded), towing with our 2013 Chevy Silverado 1500 4.8L v8. Chevy recommends a WDH for anything over 5000lbs, and since were inching towards that, and we live in the rocky mountains, I thought it would be a good idea to start looking at the options out there.


...I've gone down a rabbit hole of information...


I really like the look of the Andersen anti-sway WDH setup, but coming in at around $850 CAD it certainly is a steep price. At the same time, I don't want to buy something that does a half ass job, get pissed off, then have to go out and buy something else.


Is the Andersen worth the price for my setup, or what else have you guys used with a similar setup?


Thanks in advance!
It is not overkill, at all for that combo. It would be perfect, in fact. You won't need a lot of weight distribution, but you will want the anti-sway for those mild mountain breezes...
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:26 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Lower Mainland, BC
Posts: 6
Thanks, Yeah I was starting to think I need more sway protection then weight distribution, and the Andersen looks like it does a nice job of it. With the regular WDH the dealer was trying to sell me (at $500+ CAD), they needed for me to also buy a Sway bar which I thought was kind of silly.


I've basically talked myself into the Andersen, now just seeing if what I want it truly needed.
OrangeLefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:06 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
LuckyDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 1,447
X2 on the Andersen. Our TT is heavier than yours and the Andersen has been rock solid in some pretty strong side winds. It’s light, easy to hitch and does the job. That, and our safety, is worth the extra cost to me.
__________________
2018 JayFlight SLX 212QBW
1999 Ford F-250 Super Duty Lariat SC, 7.3L PSD, 3.73
Transfer Flow 50 gal aux; Andersen WDH
😁 "If a man says heíll fix something, he will. Thereís no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 04:38 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
cbeers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Perryton
Posts: 163
Ditto on Anderson. Just make sure you get the latest components and extended brackets or the under slung receiver hitch on Jayco TT’s. Enjoy.
__________________
2019 F250 Superduty Powerstroke Diesel
2020 Jayco Jay Flight 34rsbs
Anderson WDH 14k
Wineguard G3 portable sat system & H24 receiver
2013 Harley Triglide
2 Yorkies
cbeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 08:56 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: midwest
Posts: 953
Reese makes a good one far cheaper for your application... i have one for my 10k toy hauler and have 10k plus miles on it.. works great...
that 4.8 is going to scream going up a hill... ;o)
good luck
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 01:41 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Pittsgrove twp
Posts: 6
I towed my 4500 lbs camper 2 times without the hitch. Never again. It is night and day. I have the Anderson no sway. Third trip was a 1000 mile trip. The x213 stayed where it was suppose to and handled awesome. Easy to set up. And it doesnít weigh a ton.
RedFraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 01:42 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Pittsgrove twp
Posts: 6
Oh and it’s quiet and easy to back up without having to unhook anything.
RedFraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:37 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Huntington
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeers View Post
Ditto on Anderson. Just make sure you get the latest components and extended brackets or the under slung receiver hitch on Jayco TTís. Enjoy.
Can you explain what you mean by "under slung receiver hitch? Looking at getting an Andersen for my 2021 Jay Feather 24BH and a little unsure as to witch Andersen WDH.
hoosierdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 08:02 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierdraft View Post
Can you explain what you mean by "under slung receiver hitch? Looking at getting an Andersen for my 2021 Jay Feather 24BH and a little unsure as to witch Andersen WDH.
The fitment guide says: "* NOTE: If your coupler is positioned below the frame, contact Andersen Hitches because you may need a custom kit with “extended universal” brackets."

Some couplers are welded to the top of the trailer frame. Some are underneath. The underneath variety is what they are talking about.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bottom vs Top mount coupler.png
Views:	9
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	66929


Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeLefty View Post
I really like the look of the Andersen anti-sway WDH setup, but coming in at around $850 CAD it certainly is a steep price.


BTW, I also question the initial price posted. I think the Andersen's are still for sale under $600 dollars. Wherever you found it, I would look elsewhere on the Internet.

Example link:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006X21BH0...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:02 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Lower Mainland, BC
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
The fitment guide says: "* NOTE: If your coupler is positioned below the frame, contact Andersen Hitches because you may need a custom kit with “extended universal” brackets."

Some couplers are welded to the top of the trailer frame. Some are underneath. The underneath variety is what they are talking about.

Attachment 66929






BTW, I also question the initial price posted. I think the Andersen's are still for sale under $600 dollars. Wherever you found it, I would look elsewhere on the Internet.

Example link:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006X21BH0...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Ah thanks for that extra explanation - I think my coupler is fine, good to check though!


The $850 is CAD - everything is expensive up in Canada-land. If I went to order that hitch you posted, it would come out to $884.
OrangeLefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:05 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Lower Mainland, BC
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
Reese makes a good one far cheaper for your application... i have one for my 10k toy hauler and have 10k plus miles on it.. works great...
that 4.8 is going to scream going up a hill... ;o)
good luck

Lol thanks, everyone keeps telling me about how high the 4.8 is gonna rev on the hills - I can't wait lol!


I considered the Reese, but they look a little clunky, plus the model the RV dealership had, required an additional bar for sway control. All said and done, the Reese was only a ~$200 cheaper then the Andersen. Hense why I started looking elsewhere.
OrangeLefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:10 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Lower Mainland, BC
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFraggle View Post
I towed my 4500 lbs camper 2 times without the hitch. Never again. It is night and day. I have the Anderson no sway. Third trip was a 1000 mile trip. The x213 stayed where it was suppose to and handled awesome. Easy to set up. And it doesnít weigh a ton.

Thanks, I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the Andersen. I haven't read any reviews from people who have tried it and didn't like it. Only negative reviews are from people who haven't tried it.



The lighter weight on the tongue of the truck is certainly nice especially if we want a second battery or propane tank. It just looks nicer too, not as clunky!
OrangeLefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:10 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeLefty View Post
Ah thanks for that extra explanation - I think my coupler is fine, good to check though!


The $850 is CAD - everything is expensive up in Canada-land. If I went to order that hitch you posted, it would come out to $884.
Ah, didn't realize we were talking in funny money.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 07:11 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Maine
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
Reese makes a good one far cheaper for your application... i have one for my 10k toy hauler and have 10k plus miles on it.. works great...
that 4.8 is going to scream going up a hill... ;o)
good luck
I'm considering the Reese Steadi-Flex Weight Distribution System w/ Sway Control - Trunnion - 6K GTW, 600 TW or the Andersen. I've had good luck with Reese products for many years. Glad to hear people are also happy with their Andersen setups.
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:48 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Southeastern CT
Posts: 149
At various times over the last 45 years, we have purchased items where we bit the bullet and bought better quality. Other times we went with the cheaper alternative. We finally realized that sometimes the cheaper alternative was satisfactory, sometimes it wasn't. However, we have never, ever regretted our purchase of better quality products.

"Never buy a cheap parachute"
__________________
harryjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 04:32 PM   #17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Lower Mainland, BC
Posts: 6
Thanks all for the input everyone. After reading a bunch of reviews and watching waaaayyyy too many YouTube videos, I've decided to go with my gut and get an Andersen hitch. The positive reviews on it were overwhelming with very few unsatisfied customers (which could just be improper installation). With such a light trailer, we dont need heavy duty weight distribution, but I don't feel like a single friction bar will give me confidence while traveling the mountains with semi trucks.

I'll report back after a few trips on how it's working.
OrangeLefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 05:08 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 945
Yup, it is pretty rare that an actual Andersen owner has issues with it. Lots of people who have never used one with complaints, though.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 05:14 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
cbeers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Perryton
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeLefty View Post
Thanks all for the input everyone. After reading a bunch of reviews and watching waaaayyyy too many YouTube videos, I've decided to go with my gut and get an Andersen hitch. The positive reviews on it were overwhelming with very few unsatisfied customers (which could just be improper installation). With such a light trailer, we dont need heavy duty weight distribution, but I don't feel like a single friction bar will give me confidence while traveling the mountains with semi trucks.

I'll report back after a few trips on how it's working.
Iím positive you will be happy with your choice, if not you then your back. Happy Travels.
__________________
2019 F250 Superduty Powerstroke Diesel
2020 Jayco Jay Flight 34rsbs
Anderson WDH 14k
Wineguard G3 portable sat system & H24 receiver
2013 Harley Triglide
2 Yorkies
cbeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 12:51 PM   #20
Member
 
Joenissan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Dutchess Co.
Posts: 33
Never overkill! AND, I also would be sure to have weight distribution and sway control.
__________________
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
2016 Nissan Titan XD CC Platinum Reserve Diesel 4X4
Joenissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.