Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-05-2021, 11:11 PM   #1

Is an Andersen WD Hitch Overkill for my application?

Hey All,

New RV'er here, we just got our Jayco 174BH (max weight is ~3900lbs fully loaded), towing with our 2013 Chevy Silverado 1500 4.8L v8. Chevy recommends a WDH for anything over 5000lbs, and since were inching towards that, and we live in the rocky mountains, I thought it would be a good idea to start looking at the options out there.

...I've gone down a rabbit hole of information...

I really like the look of the Andersen anti-sway WDH setup, but coming in at around $850 CAD it certainly is a steep price. At the same time, I don't want to buy something that does a half ass job, get pissed off, then have to go out and buy something else.

Is the Andersen worth the price for my setup, or what else have you guys used with a similar setup?

Thanks in advance!
OrangeLefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeLefty View Post
Hey All,

New RV'er here, we just got our Jayco 174BH (max weight is ~3900lbs fully loaded), towing with our 2013 Chevy Silverado 1500 4.8L v8. Chevy recommends a WDH for anything over 5000lbs, and since were inching towards that, and we live in the rocky mountains, I thought it would be a good idea to start looking at the options out there.

...I've gone down a rabbit hole of information...

I really like the look of the Andersen anti-sway WDH setup, but coming in at around $850 CAD it certainly is a steep price. At the same time, I don't want to buy something that does a half ass job, get pissed off, then have to go out and buy something else.

Is the Andersen worth the price for my setup, or what else have you guys used with a similar setup?

Thanks in advance!
It is not overkill, at all for that combo. It would be perfect, in fact. You won't need a lot of weight distribution, but you will want the anti-sway for those mild mountain breezes...
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:26 PM   #3

Thanks, Yeah I was starting to think I need more sway protection then weight distribution, and the Andersen looks like it does a nice job of it. With the regular WDH the dealer was trying to sell me (at $500+ CAD), they needed for me to also buy a Sway bar which I thought was kind of silly.

I've basically talked myself into the Andersen, now just seeing if what I want it truly needed.
Old 01-06-2021, 12:06 AM   #4

X2 on the Andersen. Our TT is heavier than yours and the Andersen has been rock solid in some pretty strong side winds. It’s light, easy to hitch and does the job. That, and our safety, is worth the extra cost to me.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 04:38 AM   #5

Ditto on Anderson. Just make sure you get the latest components and extended brackets or the under slung receiver hitch on Jayco TT’s. Enjoy.
Wineguard G3 portable sat system & H24 receiver
2013 Harley Triglide
2 Yorkies
cbeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 08:56 AM   #6

Reese makes a good one far cheaper for your application... i have one for my 10k toy hauler and have 10k plus miles on it.. works great...
that 4.8 is going to scream going up a hill... ;o)
good luck
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 01:41 PM   #7

I towed my 4500 lbs camper 2 times without the hitch. Never again. It is night and day. I have the Anderson no sway. Third trip was a 1000 mile trip. The x213 stayed where it was suppose to and handled awesome. Easy to set up. And it doesn’t weigh a ton.
RedFraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 01:42 PM   #8

Oh and it’s quiet and easy to back up without having to unhook anything.
RedFraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeers View Post
Ditto on Anderson. Just make sure you get the latest components and extended brackets or the under slung receiver hitch on Jayco TT’s. Enjoy.
Can you explain what you mean by "under slung receiver hitch? Looking at getting an Andersen for my 2021 Jay Feather 24BH and a little unsure as to witch Andersen WDH.
hoosierdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 08:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierdraft View Post
Can you explain what you mean by "under slung receiver hitch? Looking at getting an Andersen for my 2021 Jay Feather 24BH and a little unsure as to witch Andersen WDH.
The fitment guide says: "* NOTE: If your coupler is positioned below the frame, contact Andersen Hitches because you may need a custom kit with “extended universal” brackets."

Some couplers are welded to the top of the trailer frame. Some are underneath. The underneath variety is what they are talking about.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bottom vs Top mount coupler.png
Views:	11
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	66929

Quote:
I really like the look of the Andersen anti-sway WDH setup, but coming in at around $850 CAD it certainly is a steep price.

BTW, I also question the initial price posted. I think the Andersen's are still for sale under $600 dollars. Wherever you found it, I would look elsewhere on the Internet.

Example link:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006X21BH0...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Old 01-06-2021, 11:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
The fitment guide says: "* NOTE: If your coupler is positioned below the frame, contact Andersen Hitches because you may need a custom kit with “extended universal” brackets."

Some couplers are welded to the top of the trailer frame. Some are underneath. The underneath variety is what they are talking about.

Attachment 66929

BTW, I also question the initial price posted. I think the Andersen's are still for sale under $600 dollars. Wherever you found it, I would look elsewhere on the Internet.

Example link:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006X21BH0...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Ah thanks for that extra explanation - I think my coupler is fine, good to check though!

The $850 is CAD - everything is expensive up in Canada-land. If I went to order that hitch you posted, it would come out to $884.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
Reese makes a good one far cheaper for your application... i have one for my 10k toy hauler and have 10k plus miles on it.. works great...
good luck

Lol thanks, everyone keeps telling me about how high the 4.8 is gonna rev on the hills - I can't wait lol!

I considered the Reese, but they look a little clunky, plus the model the RV dealership had, required an additional bar for sway control. All said and done, the Reese was only a ~$200 cheaper then the Andersen. Hense why I started looking elsewhere.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFraggle View Post
I towed my 4500 lbs camper 2 times without the hitch. Never again. It is night and day. I have the Anderson no sway. Third trip was a 1000 mile trip. The x213 stayed where it was suppose to and handled awesome. Easy to set up. And it doesn’t weigh a ton.

Thanks, I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the Andersen. I haven't read any reviews from people who have tried it and didn't like it. Only negative reviews are from people who haven't tried it.

The lighter weight on the tongue of the truck is certainly nice especially if we want a second battery or propane tank. It just looks nicer too, not as clunky!
Old 01-06-2021, 11:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Ah thanks for that extra explanation - I think my coupler is fine, good to check though!

The $850 is CAD - everything is expensive up in Canada-land. If I went to order that hitch you posted, it would come out to $884.
Ah, didn't realize we were talking in funny money.
Old 01-07-2021, 07:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
good luck
I'm considering the Reese Steadi-Flex Weight Distribution System w/ Sway Control - Trunnion - 6K GTW, 600 TW or the Andersen. I've had good luck with Reese products for many years. Glad to hear people are also happy with their Andersen setups.
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:48 AM   #16

At various times over the last 45 years, we have purchased items where we bit the bullet and bought better quality. Other times we went with the cheaper alternative. We finally realized that sometimes the cheaper alternative was satisfactory, sometimes it wasn't. However, we have never, ever regretted our purchase of better quality products.

"Never buy a cheap parachute"
harryjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 04:32 PM   #17

Thanks all for the input everyone. After reading a bunch of reviews and watching waaaayyyy too many YouTube videos, I've decided to go with my gut and get an Andersen hitch. The positive reviews on it were overwhelming with very few unsatisfied customers (which could just be improper installation). With such a light trailer, we dont need heavy duty weight distribution, but I don't feel like a single friction bar will give me confidence while traveling the mountains with semi trucks.

I'll report back after a few trips on how it's working.
Old 01-08-2021, 05:08 PM   #18

Yup, it is pretty rare that an actual Andersen owner has issues with it. Lots of people who have never used one with complaints, though.
Old 01-08-2021, 05:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Thanks all for the input everyone. After reading a bunch of reviews and watching waaaayyyy too many YouTube videos, I've decided to go with my gut and get an Andersen hitch. The positive reviews on it were overwhelming with very few unsatisfied customers (which could just be improper installation). With such a light trailer, we dont need heavy duty weight distribution, but I don't feel like a single friction bar will give me confidence while traveling the mountains with semi trucks.

I'll report back after a few trips on how it's working.
I’m positive you will be happy with your choice, if not you then your back. Happy Travels.
Wineguard G3 portable sat system & H24 receiver
2013 Harley Triglide
2 Yorkies
cbeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 12:51 PM   #20

Never overkill! AND, I also would be sure to have weight distribution and sway control.