Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #1

Is it normal for towing to cause a drop in tire pressure?

I noticed after towing my TT about 2 hours away and back, that my rears were significantly lower than when I started. Is this normal? FYI-my WDH was not properly adjusted so I was heavy on the back. I aired up after I got back, but a couple of weeks later they were low again. COULD be that they are just leaking, but it seems odd that the front are staying up. I did have to move my TT from the driveway to the yard. Would loading the truck for such a short time make them go down? Getting my tires rotated tomorrow, and I need to know if the tires/stems have a problem.
tmsbandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #2

Good tires with a good stem and valve on good rims don't leak like that. It's also possible that your tires were damaged by the low air pressure you found before you aired them up.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:15 PM   #3

Thanks. I didn't think so. Tires are Cooper Discoverer HTs. They are less than year old and were installed at a reputable tire shop. I and getting them rotated tomorrow, so I'll have them check for leaks.
tmsbandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:23 AM   #4

Normally, the pressure goes up as you tow the vehicle, so you might have a small problem. Hopefully, if you do, the tire shop will stand behind the product.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:00 AM   #5

I've always had good success with Cooper and Mastercraft (made by Cooper) tires. That said, I just gave up on two 225 75r 16 tires like you mention even though they have plenty of tread. No matter what we tried the beads/rims just wouldn't seal. We cleaned the steel rims, tried sealant, reseated the tires a couple times with no luck. I was checking and topping off the tires for quite some time which seemed to work. One morning i came out to find the one tire flat. That was the last straw for me. I replaced the tires.

If your tires aren't too old you may have some success with warranty.

Just thought I'd provide the information. I hope you have better luck. vic