Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-31-2017, 09:00 PM   #21

Thank you guys! Appreciate all the feedback. I feel that the brakes and suspension are up to the task. My hemi is ok I guess but like you said, they like to rev. I think 4.10s would really help my truck as it only pulls about 1800 rpm @70mph. 410s would put it around 2200rpm much more suitable for towing. My tow haul mode works well but I prefer a higher overdrive rpm.
lsttype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:28 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Rather than concentrating on towing capacity, I would look at your cargo capacity. If you look at the drivers door column you should see a tag, typically yellow, that will say your Total Cargo Capacity as built is XXXX. This is the total weight of RV, hitch, cargo in your vehicle with passengers. Typically this total is hit before you have an issue with towing capacity.

Good luck.
Wags,

I don’t believe the yellow payload stickers started appearing until ‘06.

Type,

The only true way to know what your payload amount is, is to hit a CAT Scale (or any scale) to see what the truck, you and the family all weigh. Preferably with the bed loaded for a normal trip.

Hard part about your question is we don’t know the payload of the truck besides the listed “brochure” amount. We don’t know the total family weight, how you pack the teuck bed, any accessories added to the truck.... all those items factor toward the total payload of the truck, including the tw of the tt. Chances are you will be ok, but better to know ahead of time.

Also check your trucks factory mounted receiver hitch for a max tw rating. The older 2500/250’s may still have had a lower hitch rating. But a ~$200 hitch is way cheaper than a new truck if that is your only issue besides wanting to swap the gearing!!!

As for turning ~1800rpm at 70mph, is that in o/d? If so, what is the engine rpm at 65mph in a lower gear or two?

If possible, try to get the new rig first and go on a trip or two before swapping the gearing. You may be surprised. But also base it on how your current rig goes and where you tow as mentioned!!!

And for towing 10k lbs with a gasser, I am just under with our rig combo listed in my signature!!!

Good luck!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote