Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-09-2016, 08:59 AM   #21

Now I have a whole new problem, don't know what class hitch receiver was installed on my Tundra way back when. It is definitely NOT factory installed according to the vin number. If it's a class 3 isn't my TT too heavy for that hitch? Also when I got underneath there to see if I can find any info on the hitch I saw all the rust. Oh boy....a whole new can of worms now. I will attach some pics

Do not have an owners manual, wish I did.
lukenick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:20 AM   #22

Was your Tundra recalled for frame replacement? We did have our 2000 Tundra frame replaced at a considerable cost to Toyota.

You can download your manual in PDF format
2001 Toyota TUNDRA Owners Manual and warranty - Toyota Owners

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:32 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
Was your Tundra recalled for frame replacement? We did have our 2000 Tundra frame replaced at a considerable cost to Toyota.

You can download your manual in PDF format
2001 Toyota TUNDRA Owners Manual and warranty - Toyota Owners
I guess the previous owner had the spray coat done. We have only owned it for 1-1/2 years now.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:35 AM   #24

There was a recall for Tundras. The frame needed to be inspected and replaced if necessary.

It would be prudent to find out if the frame was inspected and appropriate action taken before the spraycoat was applied. Those older Tundras did not have adequate sealing done at the time of manufacture.

A spray coat was a part of the frame replacement process. Frames did not all need to be replaced but some did. Spray could be part of a proper fix or a cover up.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 04-09-2016, 11:02 AM   #25

Quote:
There was a recall for Tundras. The frame needed to be inspected and replaced if necessary.

It would be prudent to find out if the frame was inspected and appropriate action taken before the spraycoat was applied. Those older Tundras did not have adequate sealing done at the time of manufacture.

A spray coat was a part of the frame replacement process. Frames did not all need to be replaced but some did. Spray could be part of a proper fix or a cover up.
UPDATE....found info from the Dealer that it was "inspected" in 2010. Campaign is now over
Old 04-09-2016, 11:07 AM   #26

Quote:

Did you have a factory installed hitch put on your Tundra? If so, can you tell me if it has a sticker right next to the receiver hole like this in the pic. I am wondering if I do in fact have an original Toyota hitch that was installed after the fact. According to my local hitch company if it has that sticker it comes from Toyota.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:37 PM   #27

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Lukenick1; Holy smokes you must live in a salt belt, I never have seen so much rust in my life. Looks like the Hitch is heavy duty and looks like a class 4 or 5. On a half ton it would not be less than 4.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 01:38 PM   #28

We had our Tundra frame replaced in 2012.
Per Federal Law a recall is never over. Whether it was a true recall or had time limits due to a class action lawsuit I don't know. I did not research it.

But we got our Ridgeline simply because in spite of the frame replacement we were suspect of towing things across country.

Yes In New England a lot of the roads are treated with salt.

Consider checking on other Toyota service departments. Ours in Auburn Maine was exceptional in 2012

I don't fear the hitch as much as the vehicle pulling it without more knowledge.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 04-09-2016, 03:44 PM   #29

Ha Ha Yes! The previous owner lived near the shore so lots of salty air flying around over there. Plus the winter salted roads. Ok so glad to know I have at least a class IV. Phew
Old 04-14-2016, 08:26 AM   #30

Spoke to the local Rv service place. He's been in business there over 30 years servicing camper, trailers, RV's etc. They used to sell them but now only services them. Anyway, he told me that no hitch will do me any justice without upgrading my tires. He said my tires are load C and I would get a much better tow and ride with load D. Told me to keep the hitch I have and invest in new tires. Now another wrench has been thrown in to my situation.......ha ha ha We thought our tires were a very great tire and expensive.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:48 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenick1 View Post
Spoke to the local Rv service place. He's been in business there over 30 years servicing camper, trailers, RV's etc. They used to sell them but now only services them. Anyway, he told me that no hitch will do me any justice without upgrading my tires. He said my tires are load C and I would get a much better tow and ride with load D. Told me to keep the hitch I have and invest in new tires. Now another wrench has been thrown in to my situation.......ha ha ha We thought our tires were a very great tire and expensive.

Just don't make the same mistake I did. Upgraded my tires to try to make towing with our Expedition (1/2 ton) work and be safe only to sell it a couple months later with brand new $1000 tires on it to get an Excursion (3/4 ton.)...facepalm..

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:00 PM   #32

Sales guys should be arrested for putting her in a dangerous situation like that. Was it a private sale?? If it was a dealer publish it please.
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:46 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenick1 View Post

Luke,

If you need a more stout (higher LR) tire for towing, with the trailer hooked up you would feel the back of the truck "wiggling" so to speak side to side. Almost as if a person on each side of the vehicle back by the rear while "working together" is pushing the tv side to side. Do you feel anything like this?

When we had our '10 Chevy Silverado CCSB 4x4, towing at that time our ~7200lb tt (about 920lb tw), we had that issue with the factory p rated tires. I bought a set of Cooper A/T3's LR C, and the new tires completely solved the issue.

When towing, what air pressure do you run the tv tires at, front and rear? If not at the max pressure stated on the sidewall (probably 50psi), try running the tires at 50psi. The front may not need to be aired to max pressure, but probably at least 40psi.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:46 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Luke,

If you need a more stout (higher LR) tire for towing, with the trailer hooked up you would feel the back of the truck "wiggling" so to speak side to side. Almost as if a person on each side of the vehicle back by the rear while "working together" is pushing the tv side to side. Do you feel anything like this?

When we had our '10 Chevy Silverado CCSB 4x4, towing at that time our ~7200lb tt (about 920lb tw), we had that issue with the factory p rated tires. I bought a set of Cooper A/T3's LR C, and the new tires completely solved the issue.

When towing, what air pressure do you run the tv tires at, front and rear? If not at the max pressure stated on the sidewall (probably 50psi), try running the tires at 50psi. The front may not need to be aired to max pressure, but probably at least 40psi.
I do not notice what you described. I get the front tires floating feeling though. Today towing home I got a lot of bouncing on my front end of the tundra. Maybe I didn't load the weight correct this time. I kind of had things all over the place in the TT. The tires were at 45psi
Old 04-22-2016, 08:47 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9999 View Post
Sales guys should be arrested for putting her in a dangerous situation like that. Was it a private sale?? If it was a dealer publish it please.
It was Longview RV in Connecticut.