Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2016, 10:27 AM   #1

is there any point to 2 friction bars on a WDH?

So I picked up my folks new to them 29rks jay flight over the weekend from the lacrosse Wisconsin area. Our drive from there to the dells was scary as we had a strong cross wind and no wdh or friction bar as the dealer said his staff did not think we would need with our truck. The remainder of the drive home yesterday was fairly uneventful and the camper followed as straight as an arrow. What I had decided prior to going out there to pick it up is that with the recommendations from everyone here on my last post, we would drive the camper home as is, and then decide what hitch to buy, which leads me to my question. The camper at one point had a friction bar sway bar (the six holes are in the side of the tongue), and chain up torsion bars. I was thinking about leading my folks into an equalizer or fastway e2 (prior to knowing that) if the sway was bad with no strong winds, but since its not, I really think just a plain old chain and friction bar would be enough as most of the time I think they could run with out the sway portion. Is there any point into buying a second friction bar for those really bad (high wind) tow days? Likely, it will be towed a couple hundred miles at most at one time.

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:42 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Yes...., when using a standard WDH with a 26ft plus length TT there is a benefit from adding a 2nd manual friction sway control bar.

I have a couple friends that have added the 2nd friction control sway bar and have stated that it makes a noticeable difference in less then ideal towing conditions, especially cross winds.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:45 AM   #3

Just a WDH was enough to convert 'very unpleasant' over-lightened front end to a very comfortable rig (see signature).

Cross winds and passing trucks are 'noticeable' while driving. I'm guessing that the overall length of the 19RD is not enough to overcome the wheelbase of the Crew Cab + Long Box Taco.

Our last trip out (June 9) was very blustery. Winds were so bad that NOBODY had their awnings deployed at the campground. At no time did the rig misbehave while on the road.

So, you've got some things to consider:
- Do you need anti-sway gear?
- Will just a WDH help enough?
- Were you driving in conditions where you should have been parked?

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:51 AM   #4

With a GVWR of 9,500#, you are pretty close to where you would want to use two friction sway bars; IIRC Husky recommends a second for anything over 10k# for my model.

I would recommend it be used anytime there will be interstate driving, windy or not. The suction from a passing transport or bus can be strong enough to set off some pretty severe sway. I use mine anytime I expect to have sustained speeds over 55mph, and anytime it is breezy regardless of speed.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:01 PM   #5

My question would be, is it worth the hassle of having to stop every time you want to backup to remove the friction sway bars. Personally, I like to be able to back right in and not worrying about damage. Hence I have an Equalizer 4 point WDH. Always have the sway control, you just never know when you are going to need it or not. I do not want to be in a situation where I said earlier in the say " I wish I had hooked up the sway bars" or "nah, where not going far, we don't need it" to find out something out of my control happens and I get into a sway event.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:56 PM   #6

There are only a limited number of installations where you have to remove it to backup. The install guide for mine suggests that one of the first things you do is to back up slowly to a jackknife position with a spotter watching. If the AS was installed correctly you should be able to do this without fully closing the device or extending so far that the friction bar falls free of the sheath. If it's okay, you don't need to remove it for trailer backing; alas mine was not installed correctly at the dealer, and I couldn't even make sharpish FORWARD left turns, let alone backing up. Unfortunately I didn't look up the instructions (dealer didn't provide) until AFTER I bent the mount and found out he had mounted it 3" too far forward.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Yes...., when using a standard WDH with a 26ft plus length TT there is a benefit from adding a 2nd manual friction sway control bar.

I have a couple friends that have added the 2nd friction control sway bar and have stated that it makes a noticeable difference in less then ideal towing conditions, especially cross winds.

Bob
This, added the 2nd bar to our 28 DSBH and it's much more comfortable feeling to tow.
kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:18 PM   #8

We have a 39 footer that weighs in around 10000 and I just have one sway bar on mine and it works well. I would start with one and you can always add another if you need to ... as to backing with it on I have done it multiple times with no ill effect to mine. Also depends on where you travel. When I came through Wisconsin in my old motorhome the crosswinds were strong and it was a both hands on the wheel experience
Old 06-27-2016, 07:21 PM   #9

When we bought our 2015 29RKS, we brought it home with the standard dealer installed WDH w/one friction bar set-up. It seemed like every passing vehicle (big or small) caused the trailer to move. After a couple of weeks of re-adjusting the hitch set-up and not getting any better results, we purchased a Husky Centerline. It took a few tries to get it set-up but I am extremely happy with it now. Trailer movement is now very minimal.
2004 Jayco Jay Flight 24FB (Sold)
1984 Jayco J-Series 1008 (Sold)

Darin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:00 PM   #10

Any dealer that tells you that you don't need a WDH towing a 29 foot trailer has their head you know where.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:27 AM   #11

SO, Did I do it right???

Mom and dad purchased a Curt 10k WDH set up. It came complete with 1 sway (friction bar) and all necessary brackets to put it together. They also bought the second friction. After reading Curts instructions, I believe I have it correct, but it took me a few trys to get there. I did not measure from the bumpers as they recomended, but I did measure from the bottom of the hitch receiver and the bottom of the plow mount on the front. The rear of the truck came down about 2 inches and the front up about 1/2 inch when the WDH is attached. I only have 3 washers in the rivet at this point, and that is only because I had to remove that many to get the end link to reach the clevis. When hooked up, The camper sits level or maybe just a little nose high (but not much at all). Also, the passenger side chain is much harder to get on than the drivers side. All links are under tension. I did test drive it once assembled and the camper pulled very nicely (much better than the trip home) but it was a very calm after noon and all back roads. We leave for our big trip this weekend with them, so hopefully dad will be happy with the set up.

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote