Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 04:59 PM   #1

Jay Flight 28BHBE & Appropriate Tow Vehicle??

Hi Forum!

Well we think that we have narrowed down the exact unit that we would like to purchase as our first Travel Trailer for our family of four. We really like the Jay Flight 28BHBE and would like to order it with the following options (15,000 BTU AC, Elite Package, Thermal Package, Kitchen Skylight with Shade, Hide-A-Bed, Cargo Accessory Receiver & Roof Ladder.). I'm adding these details as I know that this will indeed add to some additional weight.

Anyway, we have NOT purchased our Tow Vehicle yet. We want to be sure about both items before we purchase either one.

This is where I'm hoping you can give me advice from personal experience....

We would like to purchase a Ford F150. It will become my husband's primary driving vehicle and he would really prefer to not get too crazy with his truck (i.e. he doesn't want to move up into the F250s, diesel, etc.). So...he would basically like to get "as little of truck as possible" that will absolutely safety pull our trailer without problem. Not too little of truck and not too much.

So....what would you recommend exactly in the line of options with the Ford Trucks. And then, adding a hitch that will help distribute the weight?

And, yes, I am definitely not knowledgable in terms of trucks. So I'm reading as much as possible so that I can learn I do understand that I need to take a picture of the sticker inside of the truck door to get an exact list of the maximums, but there is also the complete chart on Ford's website: 2017 Ford F-150 Full-Size Pickup Truck | View All Specifications | Ford.com. For the most part all of this looks like gibberish, but I'm an active learner

Thanks in advance,

Erica
Old 10-11-2016, 05:15 PM   #2
bap

With that trailer and a family of four, you are really into a 3/4 ton territory. By the time you load the camper and truck, you are going to be over the weight carrying capacity of a 1/2 ton. Could a 1/2 ton do it, Yes, would it be safe, No.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:19 PM   #3

Another slippery slope. There will be those who will tout the abilities of the mighty F150s. Those who can say they have towed the same and bigger for years without problem.
Still others will say, you should really go with the 250/2500 class as you will be pushing the limits of the 150/1500 class.
People can throw weights and specifications at you all day long. You will have to take all this information into account. There is one other piece of information which very few people take into consideration (especially when all weight specifications are met), that is length. overall length and length of the trailer and wheel base distances. These measurements can have a very detrimental effect on towing safety, especially when you are close to weight limits. It is possible for a trailer and load to be under the weight limits of the capabilities of the tow vehicle and still end up with an unsafe situation due to the sheer length of the trailer.
I say this, because ultimately you will have to consider all this.
I know the F150s are a great and very capable truck. I am sure right now that it can do the job you are wanting it to do.
However, I come from an older school of though which lends to the safety of having more than you need. Its not just the safety of your equipment and your family you are risking. It is also the safety of others you are sharing the roadway with.
Based on my knowledge and experience, I recommend a 250/2500 class or larger tow vehicle. This will allow for future expansion, and will give peace of mind that your rig is capable without a doubt or question. I have never heard of anyone complaining of having too much truck when loaded and towing.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
Old 10-11-2016, 05:20 PM   #4

Are you looking at crew cabs or super cabs? How old are the kids? What are you planning to put into the bed of the truck? Are you looking at a 4x4 or 2 wheel drive only?

The 28BHBE is going to weigh at least 8,000# with no water and up to 9,000# with water easily. The dry weight is going to be at least 6500 - 6800# I tow with a Tundra double cab 4x4 but it is just the wife and I. My 2017 28 BHBE has 1200# tongue weight and with water weighs 8500. We don't carry anything but just what the 2 of us need and use.

At the minimum, you will need the 3.5 eco-boost, max tow and max payload. I would also recommend highly to look at the ProPride 3P hitch. Absolutely the best hitch on the market!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
Old 10-11-2016, 05:28 PM   #5

i have the same exact trailer and my truck hauls it fine. it depends on your family, your situation, and how often you will use the trailer and where you are taking it. I have a 2014 F150 SCREW 5.0 with 18" wheels. I have a 4 point sway control/Weight distribution, timbrens, OEM brake controller and i never haul with full tanks. The power is not an issue. You can definitely feel it behind you, but it is still a smooth ride and i can still get up to the speeds i need.. i just take my time and don't get in a hurry. It works for me and my family it might not work for you. It can be done it just comes down to what you can afford and what you are comfortable with.
Flem
Old 10-11-2016, 05:34 PM   #6

If you order a new F150 with the right options it will work. That trailer specs out at 6500# empty, GVRW which is max weight loaded 9250#. A 4x2 SuperCrew F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost, 3.55 axle, trailer tow pkg, specs out at max trailer 11,800#. Then it comes down to where you want to tow the trailer, if its up and over the rockies it will struggle a bit but it can be done.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:35 PM   #7

First... If you are ordering a BHBE add the 2nd AC, you will be happy you did later. Great choice... You will be happy with that camper.

Second... My pesonal opionion from experience the minimum truck would be a 3/4 Ton (250 / 2500). Gas engine in any line of 3/4 truck will be fine. I chose to go with the 6.2L gas in my F250 and have been very happy.

I had to have some work done on my F250, dealer gave me a loaner 2016 F150 for a couple days. No way would I tow our BHBE (some do it) with a F150 no matter how it is rigged out. When I got my truck back going from driving the F150 it was like night and day.

As I said my opinion only, based on my experiences.

You are going about it correctly in picking your Camper first then researching to buy a Truck to tow it safely. I commend you for that.

Edit: I wanted to add, for me it's not the weight of the trailer that is an issue its the shear mass, size and height of the trailer that drives me to have the opinion I do. I have said on our many trips over thousands of miles that I am glad I have have more truck then not enough. You never say I wish I had less truck.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:56 PM   #8

@flemdawg
Our kids are turning 6 & 8. We are planning on the "Super Cab" (if that is the 4 door option). I would love to put a camper cover on the truck so that we can bring our dogs with us on some of the trips, but haven't researched the weight on that.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:14 PM   #9

4 Doors... Your looking at Crew Cabs. I have an ARE Z-Series cap on my F250. Adding a Cap adds weight that you must also take into account, tongue weights plus a hitch on a BHBE will get pretty high.

See my Sig for our setup. Good luck with your decision.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebell619 View Post
@flemdawg
Our kids are turning 6 & 8. We are planning on the "Super Cab" (if that is the 4 door option). I would love to put a camper cover on the truck so that we can bring our dogs with us on some of the trips, but haven't researched the weight on that.
What you really need to do is go to the Ford web site and look at the trailer tow specs for the F150 and also the F250 to see the difference. And remember the payload for the truck is about 2000# sounds like a lot but the trailer on the bumper will take away half of that or more, so that leaves 1000# for four people, gear, dogs, etc. As others have said bed caps add a lot of weight and would probably put you over weight. And the four door is a SuperCrew.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:21 PM   #11

Quote:
@flemdawg
As the kids get older, there may come the desire to bring friends which means more weight. The camper shell again adds more weight to the equation. If you look at the 150/1500 class you will see that you are quickly running out of safe towing and cargo room. This will have you spending time to ensure your weight is disbursed properly. As some do, you will travel without full water tanks, or you will be picking out items to leave behind, sometimes that may mean finding a sitter for the dogs, etc.

As I stated in my earlier opinion. a 250/2500 class or larger truck in a crew/super cab will allow for all you want, camper shell, dogs, kids, future expansion, etc. If you are going on a boondocking camping trip, you will fill your water tank to full and head out without a worry in the world.
Bite the bullet early and you wont be wishing you did and have to do it later.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
Old 10-11-2016, 06:33 PM   #12

I have the 2016 28BHBE with all that the Op will have on theirs and I come in Empty at 6819 pounds with full propane bottles.
Highly recommend the 250/2500 class.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
Old 10-11-2016, 07:01 PM   #13

IMO -- the only possibility to get away with a 150/1500 class with that trailer is to order the "unicorn". The the often discussed, but rarely seen F150 EcoBoost with Max Tow and Max Payload package.

However that trailer really needs 250/2500 class pickup.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
Old 10-11-2016, 07:08 PM   #14

Like others have said, it can be done.

I tow mine with an F150 SuperCab 3.5 Ecoboost with a 2003 pound payload. I use a weight distributing hitch with sway control.

I will state for the record I have towed her nearly 2,000 miles this season and did not have any issues BUT, I do wish I had a bit more truck. If I was in your position and was making a tow vehicle choice, I would definitely go the F250 / 2500 route.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Old 10-11-2016, 09:28 PM   #15

I don't have the Elite package, but my 28BHBE weights in around 7200lb loaded with an an almost empty freshwater tank. The tongue weight on these trailers has been reported to vary between 700-1100lb. This is a trailer that definitely pushes the limits of a 1500, not always in weight but also due to its height and length.

I tow with a GMC Sierra 1500 about once a month during the season, short to medium trips. A 1500 can definitely tow the trailer, given that it is spec'd with a high payload (1800lb+), transmission cooler, etc etc. The main issue, in my experience, is suspension and subsequent wear-and-tear on the truck.

I agree with Marcm157, given my experience with the trailer, unless it is a barebones version that you will be towing infrequently, look at the 2500s!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
Like others have said, it can be done.

I tow mine with an F150 SuperCab 3.5 Ecoboost with a 2003 pound payload. I use a weight distributing hitch with sway control.

I will state for the record I have towed her nearly 2,000 miles this season and did not have any issues BUT, I do wish I had a bit more truck. If I was in your position and was making a tow vehicle choice, I would definitely go the F250 / 2500 route.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:48 AM   #16

Quote:
@flemdawg
Like others have said you are looking at a supercrew. I don't have any experience with the cover so i can't and won't speak intelligently about it. I'm not going to get into the debate over what truck is better or more equipped. there is no doubt that a 250 would pull it easier, as well as there is no doubt a 350 would pull it even easier and so on and so forth. your husband would use it for work every day, i don't know how many time or how often or how far you would pull your camper that would be a factor in your decision. Also a decision would be money, your budget is your budget regardless of what vehicle you would want. do what is best for you, your family, your budget. My kids are 3,5,6. all the advice is great and everyone has their own experiences, take it all with a grain of salt including mine. good luck
Flem
Old 10-12-2016, 06:32 AM   #17

As others have said... Go for the 3/4 ton and you'll be glad you did. Search the forum.. There are several threads where this trailer and TV are discussed. You'll run across the occasional person who raves about their half ton towing it fine but the overwhelming majority will tell you to get a 3/4 ton.
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
Old 10-12-2016, 06:34 AM   #18

Are you more likely to get a fully loaded vehicle like the Platinum or King Ranch or bare bones more like the XLT? The higher trim level vehicles will have much less payload.

Lets assume you get a properly equiped F150 with 1800lbs payload.....

1800 - 1000lbs tongue weight
- 450 lbs for 4 passengers
- 200 lbs for cap
- 100 lbs for hitch
- anything else you put in the truck or box.

You have 50 lbs left before you are overweight. Now the truck won't blow up the second you exceed the payload but you are already really close. Your kids are only going to get bigger and you will likely want to bring more and more stuff with you.

That trailer is definitely in 3/4 or more territory.

Cheers
Old 10-12-2016, 07:55 AM   #19

I will add a recommendation to seriously consider a 3/4 ton truck.

There are F-150s that can handle the 28BHBE, but you really need both the max tow and max payload options. They're probably getting easier to find, but when they first came out, that was not so. Equipped properly, that specifically configured F-150 will do a fine job. But that's probably about the only 1/2 ton class truck that will do it with any amount of margin. And the EcoBoost engines are really a marvel from what I understand; no problem in the power department.

Payload is where you'll run out of room, so forget the "tow rating" and focus on payload. Whatever you do, DO NOT take any dealer or salesman's word on what can be towed with what. And that's true no matter which 1/2T class truck you're looking at. Do your own research. If your payload (real payload, not brochure payload) on the truck can handle the trailer tongue weight (I would figure it at 15% of trailer GVWR) AND all the people and gear you will put in the truck on your HEAVIEST load out, You're probably okay. I would want to be at about 80% of my truck's max payload. Also consider the rear axle GAWR.

What you don't want to do is figure it all up on paper, and then ink a deal on a truck that is maxed out or close on paper. In other words, don't buy "just enough truck", because before long (or even right away), it won't be enough.

And remember, it's not all about the numbers. First, just because the numbers work, doesn't mean it will work for YOU out there in the real world. Second, the whole point of this is to create fun family adventures and have a good time. I can tell you from personal experience, worrying about weight all the time SIGNIFICANTLY detracts from that enjoyment.

I started our journey with our 28BHBE towing with a 2012 GMC Sierra 1500. It did okay with just me, DW and the wonder mutt, but once she got pregnant, I was upgrading. We were at the very max of our capacities, and it was only going to get worse, so I sucked it up and upgraded as soon as I could. I don't regret it even a little. I have plenty of capacity for anything I want to do, and so I focus more on having fun with my family and less on weights of my gear and loadout.

It's kind of cliche, but in the towing world, you never hear "I wish had less truck". You have a unique opportunity now to save yourself the heartache (and $$) many of us have had to endure by getting the right truck for the job right up front.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Old 10-12-2016, 10:46 AM   #20
Lost in the Woods

Pay Attention to those who have towed with a modern F150

You will find on this website that anytime somebody requests opinions on pulling a travel trailer with an F150 you are bombarded with useless opinions from the Ram fanboys that your family's safety requires a minimum 250/2500 on the side of the truck. This a bunch of BS and just because they chant over and over that 2+2=5 does not make it so. You'll want to pay attention to the posts of those that have actually towed a 28BHBE with a properly equipped modern F150. A 10 year old 250/2500 has lower manufacturer specs than the 2017 F150 with HD Payload does not increase safety over a 2017 F150 with tow/haul mode, electronic anti-sway control, anti-lock brakes, airbags, anti-slip etc. etc. You'll have to sort through the uninformed opinions of those who "towed with a half-ton once" or "knew somebody that towed with a half-ton once" and white-knuckled it or failed the clean short test. An HD Payload F150 with +/- 2800 lbs of payload is not the same "half-ton" as an F150 with 1200 lbs of payload. Depending on how an F150 is equipped, the payload can vary from about 1100 lbs to 3000lbs yet people who do not know any better consider them all the same truck.

Payload will be your limiting factor and relying upon the assurances of the Ford salesman will result in buying an underequipped truck which will provide an unpleasant tow experience with an overloaded tow vehicle.

You definitely will want your F150 equipped with the Max Tow Package (the tow package is different) which will give you approximately 20% increase in tow capacity. If you pack light, you may be able to remain within the specs of the Max Tow Package. To give yourself some additional payload capacity you may wish to look for a truck with the Heavy Duty Payload package which has extra leaf springs and thicker frame to further increase the payload abilities. HDP F150's were not available in 2015, but they are available in the 2016 and 2017 models and may not be on the lot at your local dealer, but you can order them or your dealer can find one on the lot of another dealer.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ers-37807.html

Higher trim packages (i.e. Lariat, Platinum etc.) will also cut into your available payload. If you do your research, I doubt will find anybody who has actually pulled this size of trailer with a truck equipped with the HD Payload package having any concerns about pulling this size of trailer with a quality WD hitch. I use a Propride 3P (research the Propride and Hensley Arrow hitches for more info) and would not tow without it.

Our 28BHBE loaded for camping has a tongue weight of 1050 lbs with a gross weight of 7800 lbs (the Eagle model is a few hundred lbs heavier) with 10 to 15 gallons of fresh water for bathroom breaks while travelling and we fill with fresh water when we get to campground. I do not put heavy items in the box of my truck, bikes go on the bike tray on back of trailer and I do not have a truck cap.The payload on my truck is 1687 lbs and our family of 3 is easily able to remain within the specs of our truck.

I have no problems maintaining the speed limits with my 5.4 (6spd 3.73 rear end) through the Eastern mountains of Pa, NH, VT, NY, Me, Va, NC etc. although I do occasionally get held up behind semis that are unable to maintain the speed limit and accelerating to pass while climbing a steep grade can be challenging. The V-8 5.0/5.4's will provide better engine braking than the 3.5 Ecoboost but the Eco will has far superior low end torque and will pull as hard or harder than any gas 250/2500/350/3500 and if I was doing a lot of towing in the mountains I would definitely opt of the Eco. (Look up the Pike's Peak Challenge to see a towing comparison of the Eco vs. competitor V-8's). The gas engine 250/2500s do have comparable torque and hp specs, but the downside is at least a 30% reduction in fuel mileage and you'll be adding at least 30 to 40% to your annual fuel bill. If you can afford a 250/2500 diesel, having twice the torque is never a bad thing while towing.
Closed Thread