Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-05-2020, 10:47 AM   #1

Jayco 1206 - Electric Brakes?

We bought a 2005 Jayco 1206 camper last week. Was told there were electric breaks and have googled and trying to determine if there are some electronic brakes on this thing.

The only wire I see is between the 2 tires and I don't see any controller box. Also - there is only a 4-wire plug on the end. Which matches my 2015 Explorer, but was hoping to put on a 7-pin and make use of the electric brakes i was told existed (I know, I should have checked that part out properly).

Hopefully those images come through and are enough to figure this out.
Covington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:28 AM   #2

It has brakes. Do the wires terminate at the tongue?
Adios Pantelones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covington View Post
The only wire I see is between the 2 tires and I don't see any controller box.
The controller would be in your tow vehicle, not on the trailer.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:51 AM   #4

You will need to trace the wires from the drum to see where they terminate. The controller gets mounted inside the tow vehicle. If a tow package was an option on your rig then there may be a plug to hook it into so its plug and play. Otherwise it will have to be wired in. The controller acts to provide varying degrees of power to the brakes which determines what happens when you activate them. The instructions for setup are similar on most controllers.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:54 AM   #5

Pretty sure Explorers had a tow package option so there may be a plug. Some manufacturers dont install all the required relays if you dont buy the tow package so you may have to install those separately. I had a 04 Nissan Titan that I bought new. Didnt get the tow package as there was no way I was paying 400+ for a hitch that cost $145. Got it all hooked up and nothing electrical would work. 4 trips to get parts and a final bill of around $400 for relays and fuses revealed the error of my thought process.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:40 PM   #6

I traced down the wires after finding them and here is how it shakes out. The wires come out into 4 separate wires. One attached to the frame (ground), two of them going to this fail-safe:

The last one is the thick blue wire that goes here:

Which ends up on this interesting 6-pin plug:

There is an adapter that turns that into a typical 4-pin.

My 2015 Explorer did not come with the tow package, but from my understanding that only includes hitch and transmission cooler anyway. I put on both as aftermarket. So - possibly it has a way to add a 7-pin.

I also have to figure out why the wiring is messed up such that the left tail light will come on only with the green wire, not the brown as expected, and does not blink with the turn signal. Not a fan, yet, of this Jayco wiring system Maybe it is a genius I just haven't figured out yet.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:08 PM   #7

ok, this post may duplicate... not sure what is going on, but trying again:

I traced down the wires after finding them and here is how it shakes out. The wires come out into 4 separate wires. One attached to the frame (ground), two of them going to this fail-safe:

The last one is the thick blue wire that goes here:

Which ends up on this interesting 6-pin plug:

There is an adapter that turns that into a typical 4-pin.

My 2015 Explorer did not come with the tow package, but from my understanding that only includes hitch and transmission cooler anyway. I put on both as aftermarket. So - possibly it has a way to add a 7-pin.

I also have to figure out why the wiring is messed up such that the left tail light will come on only with the green wire, not the brown as expected, and does not blink with the turn signal. Not a fan, yet, of this Jayco wiring system Maybe it is a genius I just haven't figured out yet.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:26 PM   #8
Site Team

Those six-pin terminals look like they're pretty old and they might not be making good contact. The common 6-pin molded square plug wiring usually is this:

White--ground
Blue----trailer brakes
Green--right side stop and turn
Brown--tail lights and license plate light
Yellow--left side stop and turn
Red-----trailer battery

I hope this helps a little.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Those six-pin terminals look like they're pretty old and they might not be making good contact. The common 6-pin molded square plug wiring usually is this:

White--ground
Blue----trailer brakes
Green--right side stop and turn
Brown--tail lights and license plate light
Yellow--left side stop and turn
Red-----trailer battery

I hope this helps a little.
yeah, I put power direct to the 4-pin (that was plugged into that) to test Green, Brown, yellow. that's why I found it a bit odd with my results. But Jayco changes the colors and then runs them up where I can't see the wires So - very difficult to find out where there could be a problem. All I know is the left blinker light can light up - but doesn't light up at the right times based upon 12VDC voltage input.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:42 PM   #10

But if they follow the 7 pin scheme the colors are different. Green is tail lights
Attached Thumbnails
20200705_143734.jpg  
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
But if they follow the 7 pin scheme the colors are different. Green is tail lights
I used the 4-pin to 6-pin adapter, but put power to the 4-pin side - so the colors were normal on that end of things Something is wrong with the left tail light, but hard to figure out because it does light up in certain conditions. Just not as expected.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:00 PM   #12

Send JAYCO the vin number and ask for the wiring schematic.

https://www.jayco.com/site/contact/service/
Old 07-05-2020, 02:00 PM   #13
Site Team

Try putting 12 volt power to each of the terminals on that 6-pin frame connection, but obviously not the ground or brake terminals, and (maybe with a helper at the rear) see what lights up. That might explain what's been done to the wiring.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 04:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Those color diagrams did not match. I did put power to the pins directly based upon the ones I knew were going to left, right, and running lights. Same situation:

Left: Left is on
Right: Right is on
All (Running): Left is OFF, Right is OFF

I would think in this scenario, the light could 'blink', but it does not.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covington View Post
Those color diagrams did not match. I did put power to the pins directly based upon the ones I knew were going to left, right, and running lights. Same situation:

Left: Left is on
Right: Right is on
All (Running): Left is OFF, Right is OFF

I would think in this scenario, the light could 'blink', but it does not.
Are you putting straight 12v power to the wire or jumping it off of the left blinker wire? If so, Straight 12v won't blink. It has to run through the vehicle blinker relay
Old 07-05-2020, 04:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adios Pantelones View Post
Are you putting straight 12v power to the wire or jumping it off of the left blinker wire? If so, Straight 12v won't blink. It has to run through the vehicle blinker relay
I know. I'm just testing the actual light working, which it does when straight power is put to the wire. But it should also light up when power is put to the running lights (green) wire.

That is where it is confusing. The Explorer wiring works with a trailer no problem - just not this Jayco, so I think the 4-wire plug there is working.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:23 PM   #17

Here is a super-imposed image of what I tested and how the Jayco wiring appears from the 6-pin outlet:

**** EDIT **** Image above, Left/Right text is backwards.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:34 PM   #18

I actually have the left and right backwards in the image above.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:42 PM   #19

That pic is on the tow vehicle? You tested the tow vehicle with a test light and all poles work as they should?

Also, take a look at this link:
https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-...ha/118242.html

Some manufacturers dont include the proper relays and fuses. These are for a Ford Explorer so I would assume they are not included with a non tow model.
Old 07-05-2020, 05:04 PM   #20

Quote:
That pic is on the tow vehicle? You tested the tow vehicle with a test light and all poles work as they should?
With the tow vehicle and the 4-pin wire connected - The right blinker does not work (I kept saying left, but I was looking at it from front of the camper back like a moron)

With direct voltage connection (no tow vehicle, 12V to the pins) - basically works like mentioned above. Running lights fine, blinker light not working.

Quote:
Also, take a look at this link:
https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-...ha/118242.html

Some manufacturers dont include the proper relays and fuses. These are for a Ford Explorer so I would assume they are not included with a non tow model.
I have a wire harness from eTrailer (not that one) and works for everything else I tow so far without issue including a trailer from UHaul, my buddy's trailer, and my canoe trailer. So - i think that part should be fine. It has to be something with the wiring on the camper side of things. Maybe a mouse got to something? I can't get behind the light to see wiring, it is pretty well covered up and inaccessible in the camper.