Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-04-2015, 12:17 PM   #1

Jayco

I'm a new owner of a Jayco 28BHBE. Never owned a camper. This is all new to me. Making turned seems to make the travel trailer rock back and forth. What is the chance of the trailer turning over making very slow turns.
Jjoyner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:21 PM   #2

Can you explain a little more. What are you towing with ? Do you have a weight distributing hitch ? How fast was your turn?

I can say, if your rig and tow vehicle and hitch are matched, then turning at "normal" speeds will not be a problem. Making sudden turns at high speed can be an issue, making high speed corrections can be a problem. IE you drift off the road onto the shoulder, don't jerk the wheel to get it back on the road, take control and slowly ease back onto the roadway.

More information you can give, the better the answer we can give. Welcome to the Forum also.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:46 PM   #3

I have same trailer. I would say, trust the physics. In my early experience, every maneuver seemed awkward. Unless there is a huge crosswind, I'm not sure the trailer could turn over making a very slow turn.

Sometimes with the narrow wheel base of the trailer, slow tight turns can cause the tires to bark a bit.
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjoyner View Post
I'm a new owner of a Jayco 28BHBE. Never owned a camper. This is all new to me. Making turned seems to make the travel trailer rock back and forth. What is the chance of the trailer turning over making very slow turns.
Congratulations on the new trailer and welcome to the forum.

As waggs999 said, please provide some additional information about your hitch, tow vehicle, and the trailer (did you buy it new or used, from a dealer or private party).

If it helps, I've towed lots of different trailers for roughly 150,000 miles and NEVER had a trailer turn over. In addition, I've never heard of that happening to anyone on this forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:56 PM   #5

Congrats on the trailer and welcome.

I tow that trailer, and I've never had a "rocking" problem (during turns or otherwise). I doubt it would turn over unless something severe was happening. Perhaps if you were going too fast, and had some kind of terrain like a bump or a small hill or whatnot under the inside wheels raising that side unexpectedly. Still doubt it would go over though.

The only time I had an issue where I was even somewhat concerned was when I was taking it back to storage one day and I had 45mph cross wind gusts with about 30 mph sustained. The trailer was actually leaning pretty hard while I was towing down the road. Even then, I wasn't worried so much about the trailer tipping over as I was about the cross-wind creating a severe sway event and dragging me off the road. I just took it slow and all was well, though I was relieved when I made the turn to have the wind at my back, and VERY relieved when I dropped it off in storage and didn't have to tow it anymore that day.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:56 PM   #6

I tow with a Dodge 1500 and I have installed a weight distrabution system with one sway bar. My turns are made at approximately 5- 10 mph. Maybe I'm just a little paranoid but it seems like the trailer rocks back and forth a little. Just wandering if it will turn over. Some intersections have dips in the road.
Jjoyner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:23 PM   #7

It sounds like its just normal swaying if your not going round corners at break neck speeds. It would take a lot to make one tip over going round a normal corner. Its more likely your not used to the trailer and what its like to tow one yet. You will build up more confidence as time goes on and you realize its not going anywhere.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Congrats on the trailer and welcome.

The only time I had an issue where I was even somewhat concerned was when I was taking it back to storage one day and I had 45mph cross wind gusts with about 30 mph sustained. The trailer was actually leaning pretty hard while I was towing down the road. Even then, I wasn't worried so much about the trailer tipping over as I was about the cross-wind creating a severe sway event and dragging me off the road. I just took it slow and all was well, though I was relieved when I made the turn to have the wind at my back, and VERY relieved when I dropped it off in storage and didn't have to tow it anymore that day.
I've had similar experience and found myself trying to imagine what to do if I saw one side begin to lift. What I think I'd do if knowing that wind was going to be a problem (and waiting it out wasn't an answer) then I'd find somwhere to fill the fresh water tank to give a solid center of gravity as low as possible. I hope I never feel the need.
My first trailer had some side rocking when viewed in my mirrors. I think it's exagerated by the height of the thing and the responsiveness of the shocks. I know that I worried about a lot of things that first summer RVing.
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:22 AM   #9

It would take a lot to flip one I like an idiot doing 60 miles an hour down 2 Lane Hwy. and a dog run out in front of me and I swerved the trailer rock back-and-forth but I didn't lose control and it didn't flip the dog didn't make it and neither did my sewer pipes. That was with the 26 BH and a Tahoe. Stupid on my part.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:19 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjoyner View Post
snip....... Making turned seems to make the travel trailer rock back and forth........snip
In some cases during a turn one could incur a minor degree of TT rocking due to road conditions and/or hard braking. If your rocking condition in turns is frequent it could be the result of improper TT brake controller adjustment, WDH adjustment, under-rated WDH, and/or not enough loaded weight on the TT tongue. If any of the previously mentioned items are not within specifications it's possible the braking action into a turn is amplifying the rocking effect.

The brake controller should be adjusted such that TT brakes engage prior to your TV brakes.

Taking your TV/TT combination under "loaded" conditions to a CAT scale will confirm if your loaded TT tongue weight is within the recommended 13% to 15% of the TT's gross weight, WDH is sized correctly, and that the WDH is adjusted correctly meeting your TV's front suspension requirements when using a WDH (refer to your owners manual).

CAT Scale how-to: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...v-tt-3871.html

Just food for thought

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote