Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-11-2020, 03:04 PM   #1

Jeep Cherokee 4x4 as toad

I'm looking for a new toad and was looking at the Jeep Cherokee. My question pertains to the Dinghy Guide for 2019 Jeep Cherokee. The comment states, "Only 4WD models with 2-speed Power Transfer Unit can be towed. Power Transfer Unit must be in N and transmission must be in P for towing." When I look on most classified ads I never see anything about this mentioned. Is this a standard or option? I've called a couple dealers but then I get them hounding me. The pictures usually show a "terrain" switch for I'm assuming 4 wheel selection. I'm assuming this is 4 low/4 high?
jimterryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 04:23 PM   #2

I guess there just aren't any true 4x4's in my area where I'm shopping. These are all only one speed.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:50 PM   #3

What the dinghy guide is referring to is the transfer gear case having to be placed in N for towing.

Cherokee Trailhawks come standard with the 2 speed transfer gear case. There are other trim packages that have the required transfer as standard equipment.

On the Grand Cherokees the transfer is the Quadra Drive 2 or Quadra Trac 2 which can be flat towed. I can't recall the name of the required transfer on the Cherokees.

What you are looking for is a button next to the transfer know thats is labelled "N". Depress that button with a ball point pen until the transfer goes into Neutral and you are ready for towing.

Here is a pic from a 2020 Cherokee. The button is just below the 4 wheel drive selector knob next to the Auto setting indicator.

Click image for larger version

Name:	24.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	56372
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 05:05 PM   #4

When I was shopping for my Grand Cherokee, I found that the listings never referenced the transfer case, they all just said "4x4" or "4-wheel-drive"; less than helpful on a Jeep that has 3 available transfer cases that are all 4-wheel-drive. So I had to go with pictures and hope they took one of the gear selector. If there was a little button there, I looked closer; no button, no look. Only the units with a 2-speed transfer case (4-lo) can be flat-towed.

FWIW, there is an open recall on some models that will put the transmission in park if the driver door is open. So, I put the transmission in neutral, depress the button until the indicator lights up on the dash, then put the transmission in park, then turn off the vehicle. But in mine, if I don't go to park, it will go to park automatically when I open the door or turn the engine off.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 07:48 AM   #5

Cherokee Trailhawk

I bought the trailhawk. Love it's ride. Watched some really good youtube videos on it before I purchased it. Just had it's baseplate and invisibrake installed yesterday. Hardly can feel it back there. Thanks for the replies.

Bought the jeep from a small town dealership in south central Illinois that throws in a dozen roses and a dozen farm fresh eggs.
Attached Thumbnails
20200215_175515.jpg  
Old 02-22-2020, 08:10 AM   #6

Congrats and I’m sure you will enjoy the setup.

Thanks for the follow-up. Too often folks never post what a solution or corrective action was and then leave the forum hanging in suspense.

Again enjoy and put some miles on the setup.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 08:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimterryan View Post
I bought the trailhawk. Love it's ride. Watched some really good youtube videos on it before I purchased it. Just had it's baseplate and invisibrake installed yesterday. Hardly can feel it back there. Thanks for the replies.

Bought the jeep from a small town dealership in south central Illinois that throws in a dozen roses and a dozen farm fresh eggs.
That's AWESOME!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote